Wife totaled the car, what now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wife totaled the car, what now

So my wife wadded up her car, it's a 2014, 30k miles, sticker was $34k. Long story short but I don't have gap, I should have but I don't.

We owe $31k, I got a feeling the insurance company is going to come back at $25k or so, what are my options to help minimize the bleeding on this, if any?
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Have a life insurance policy on your wife?

Sucks, but all you can do is argue for more with the insurance company. If you're that far apart in DTV, GAP was the only thing that would make it easy.

Comment

If nothing else, when buying new, always get GAP!!!!

Other than doing a lot of research and similar car values and presenting the evidence, not much you can do... Buy some lube!

I hope your wife is ok...
      "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

total the wife!
        WH

Comment

Is it safe to say it was the wifes fault ?

As with anything, the insurance company will lowball you. You have to demand more.

Comment

Dispute, dispute, dispute!

Comment

Thanks guys, wife is fine, I actually got a quote for gap @ $21 a year, replied to the e-mail saying lets do it and I forgot about it, this was in 2014, logged back in to verify and the fucking e-mail was still a "draft". Expensive ass mistake!
              Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Are you sure the car is totaled, you can argue/dispute and try and have it fixed. Some body shops work with you on parts, saving parts instead of replacing and even negotiate labor to help cut costs. This is exactly what happened to my sisters car. The IC wanted to total it and the body shop worked with her to have it fixed. Especially if the shop is a DRP shop, they have way more leeway.
                Originally posted by Silverback
                Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                  Are you sure the car is totaled, you can argue/dispute and try and have it fixed. Some body shops work with you on parts, saving parts instead of replacing and even negotiate labor to help cut costs. This is exactly what happened to my sisters car. The IC wanted to total it and the body shop worked with her to have it fixed. Especially if the shop is a DRP shop, they have way more leeway.
                  True, the repair shop is probably jacking the paint costs way up, you know how those scummy auto painters are. Crooks, every last one of em!

Comment

What is DRP? I wonder how much a buyback would be if they totaled it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mach1 View Post
                      What is DRP? I wonder how much a buyback would be if they totaled it.
                      Direct repair Partner?.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I'd check KBB for values, and see how much depreciation you're up against. You'll need to know what it's worth to be able to successfully argue against a lowball offer. Also realize that they give zero shits about what you owe, unless perhaps if they new it was lees than what the car's worth.

Just curious, how'd she total it? Inattention in the rain?

Comment

Sounds like you need a wagon, a cheap, AWD, V8, silver, well maintained Audi wagon.

Comment

Originally posted by yellowstang View Post
                            True, the repair shop is probably jacking the paint costs way up, you know how those scummy auto painters are. Crooks, every last one of em!
                            lmao! I was going to deny the crook part but a few of you in this is thread have been to my home so there's no denying it...
                            Last edited by Rick Modena; 05-27-2015, 03:08 PM.
                            Originally posted by Silverback
                            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

What's going to hurt you the most on value is the mileage...
                              "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Working...
                              X