Salt water pool maintenance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Salt water pool maintenance?

We are looking at a shit load of houses and ran across one that is not in an HOA, has a kick ass back yard, kick ass house and an in ground salt water pool. My wife is NOT feeling a pool at all, so I'm debating on whether or not I should try to push a little to go look at the house.

What kind of maintenance is involved with a salt water pool?

Should I just find out what a pool guy charges per month to maintain it?

All bullshitting aside, svo855 can probably answer your question the best.

Comment

I had salt for a year. The cell went out so I just went chlorine instead of dropping $1200 on it. The salt didn't require anymore maintenance, in fact a little less. I spend about 15 minutes a week tending to the pool (salt or chlorine) so it really isn't that big of a deal.
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Salt is alot less maintenance. But some metal parts in the pool area are not salt proof. To be honest unless you have extra cash for some one to clean to bother. If its a plaster pool it is just time when you will need to replaster. Also coping, tile issues later on can be a pain. A pool is like owning a boat

Comment

Nice tag!

Comment

Originally posted by BMCSean View Post
            Nice tag!
            Thanks!

Comment

There is no way you made that.

Comment

Actually NaCl

Comment

They are good systems. Parts are not cheap but chlorine isn't either. Maintain the correct content of salt and keep your filter clean. De filters are best and Polaris was always the best cleaner. If it's a forest back there get a chain saw it will save alot of $$$. I did pools for 6 yrs

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                    Actually NaCl
                    I'm impressed, +10 internets to you sir!

Comment

Now that I'm home ... it's actually quite simple.

I spend 10 minutes every Saturday. I check the ph, chlorine level, empty the skimmers, empty the polaris bag, add muriatic acid, chlorine, and pool perfect, then sweep the steps. I run the pump all day Saturday/night to mix the chlorine.

On Wednesday, I check the ph and add any muriatic acid if needed - 5 minutes.

Anything related to checking/adding chlorine shouldn't be needed for a salt pool. The salt cell generates its own chlorine. If it isn't making enough, the pool will look shitty.

I run the pump about 6 hours a day now, the cleaner on for about 3 of those. I kick the pump up to 8 hours in July/August.

This covers about 95% of anything that pops up. Things outside of this list occasionally happen, but rarely.

I don't get the whole cost argument for salt water pools. I like mine better as a chlorine pool. I spend about $85 a year on chlorine and the salt cells were around $1300 to replace when I got a quote. They generally last 5-7 years. I do have a Pebbletech surface, I'm told that helps with the cleanliness, durability.
                      Last edited by slow99; 05-09-2015, 09:22 PM.
                      Originally posted by davbrucas
                      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by CRASH View Post
                        We are looking at a shit load of houses and ran across one that is not in an HOA, has a kick ass back yard, kick ass house and an in ground salt water pool. My wife is NOT feeling a pool at all, so I'm debating on whether or not I should try to push a little to go look at the house.

What kind of maintenance is involved with a salt water pool?

Should I just find out what a pool guy charges per month to maintain it?
                        Cobraman will gladly come swim/piss in your pool
                        2012 GT500

Comment

I have a salt water pool. Your skin feels great after you get out of the pool. Chlorine pools always make my skin feel dried out.
                          As far as maintenance they're easier than chlorine pools. Dump a bag of salt in about once a month in the summer, check the ph level and add acid every week to keep the ph down. As far as the cell goes you can get a cheaper cell on ebay. I got one that's clear for $200 and it's been working great. I can tell you that swapping the motors out for high efficiency ones will save you a ton on your electric bill. My highest electric bill with the old pumps and old hvac system was $850. Swapped the pumps and had the ac replaced. Now my bill hovers around $300 in the summer. I routinely forget to ever check the pool until it starts turning green so I normally spend a lot more on it than most.
                          The most expensive things are the pool cleaner, salt cell, motors, and DE grids if you have a de filter.

Comment

The biggest thing of pools is kidding getting back there and falling in

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
                              The biggest thing of pools is kidding getting back there and falling in
                              Kidding falling?

Comment

Working...
                              X