No announcement yet.

New Camaro to have 550hp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still no overhead cam? When will Chevy come out of the dark ages?
    -Dustin
    '94 Cobra
    Coast High 408, AFR 205s,
    1-3/4" BBK LTs, Tremec TKO,
    ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
    10" lift, 38s

Comment

Originally posted by SVTCobra50 View Post
      I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard. OHV=smaller package and obviously from the popularity of the LSX platform alot of power. While Ford's OHC mod setup if finally starting to come alive, it still is huge and weighs a ton!

Comment

Originally posted by Lason View Post
        I almost spit coffee all over my keyboard. OHV=smaller package and obviously from the popularity of the LSX platform alot of power. While Ford's OHC mod setup if finally starting to come alive, it still is huge and weighs a ton!

Broaden your scope.

Look at all of the high performance production motors around the world. BMW, Audi, Lambo, Aston, Merc, and all of the Asian stuff... How many still have a bumpstick??

There are several motors out there that make 100hp/Liter NA. M3, M5, RS4, blah, blah. Ford keeps getting closer and closer.

What is Chevy doing besides SCREWING their shareholders? Take the zo6 for example. They needed more horsepower, so they threw cubes at it. Easy, right? That 70s mentality just won't work anymore.

Bump the LS motor back down to 350 cubes, direct inject it, overhead cam it and figure out how to make 550hp that way. It would be much more impressive.
        -Dustin
        '94 Cobra
        ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
        10" lift, 38s

Comment

Broaden your scope.

Look at all of the high performance production motors around the world. BMW, Audi, Lambo, Aston, Merc, and all of the Asian stuff... How many still have a bumpstick??

There are several motors out there that make 100hp/Liter NA. M3, M5, RS4, blah, blah. Ford keeps getting closer and closer.

What is Chevy doing besides SCREWING their shareholders? Take the zo6 for example. They needed more horsepower, so they threw cubes at it. Easy, right? That 70s mentality just won't work anymore.

Bump the LS motor back down to 350 cubes, direct inject it, overhead cam it and figure out how to make 550hp that way. It would be much more impressive.

Why? Once again what is one advantage the ford mod motors have over the LS motors that is directly related to the valvetrain layout. I have already named a few in favor of the LS.

You think shareholders want GM to redesign a winning motor just because? That retarded, there is obviously more than one way to skin a cat. If you can take your blue tinted glasses off for a second you would realize that.

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
            Until the 96 model. All 4th gen Camaros with a V8 were at least a Z28 but the SS was the top model with ram air, different wheels, etc. In previous years though the SS was basically a trim package like the RS but with the same drivetrain. A Z28 would have been everything the SS had but a different intake, sometimes dual carbs, cowl hood in 69 and the bigger wheels/tires.

Now the SS is back as the base V8 for 2010 and the Z28 or ZL1 will be premium models. The original ZL1 is ridiculous in value, they only made 69 of them and outside of a museum you'll never see one. The option was nearly double the price of a normal Camaro.
            there are 2 living in the area under the same roof
            pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

Lol
              Doing enough racing for 99% of the board!

Comment

no reason too, they make the power and are cheaper and eaiser to produce with one camshaft instead of four. BFD you make 550 with 350 inches, nobody cares, it's like an employer asking what kind of grades you made in college, end result is what matters.
                pinto gt with wood trim

Comment

They are developing a new DI 5.5l V8 (supposed to be the LS5). OHC is definitely a more efficient setup, but an LSx is still lighter/more compact. The Coyote 5.0 is getting close though.

Comment

Why? ...

You think shareholders want GM to redesign a winning motor just because? That retarded, there is obviously more than one way to skin a cat. If you can take your blue tinted glasses off for a second you would realize that.
                    I think the shareholders already lost because GM went bankrupt and now I unwillingly own some of it. Their shares went in the toilet and a lot of good Americans lost a lot of money. Why? because GM got lazy and relied on repeat business. For a while their ad campaign was pretty much buy Chevy because your Dad did and buy Chevy because it is American.

How about BUY CHEVY BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST CAR/TRUCK YOU CAN GET FOR THE MONEY??

I watched as my father, a long time bowtie guy, moved over to Ford. Looks like he was just one of many. Most honest Chevy guys will tell you that quality took a dump for a long while.

I just think it is time for them to get off the pot and start catching up before it is too late.
                    -Dustin
                    '94 Cobra
                    ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
                    10" lift, 38s

Comment

I think the shareholders already lost because GM went bankrupt and now I unwillingly own some of it. Their shares went in the toilet and a lot of good Americans lost a lot of money. Why? because GM got lazy and relied on repeat business. For a while their ad campaign was pretty much buy Chevy because your Dad did and buy Chevy because it is American.

How about BUY CHEVY BECAUSE IT IS THE BEST CAR/TRUCK YOU CAN GET FOR THE MONEY??

I watched as my father, a long time bowtie guy, moved over to Ford. Looks like he was just one of many. Most honest Chevy guys will tell you that quality took a dump for a long while.

I just think it is time for them to get off the pot and start catching up before it is too late.
                      You wont get a argument from me about build quality but that isnt what the debate was about, its about staying with a OHV as opposed to a OHC style motor. My point is unless your racing formula 1 then there is nothing wrong with a OHV motor, especially one as efficient as LSX.

Comment

You wont get a argument from me about build quality but that isnt what the debate was about, its about staying with a OHV as opposed to a OHC style motor. My point is unless your racing formula 1 then there is nothing wrong with a OHV motor, especially one as efficient as LSX.
                        Ya, I'm just a little dissapointed that they are in the position that they are in. Any By them, I mean "we." We are all Chevy, we are all Ford. We are all Americans and I don't want us to be left behind.

For all practical purposes GM should be out of business right now. They got a second chance and I hope they innovate and prosper.
                        -Dustin
                        '94 Cobra
                        ZA0 Tweecer Self Tune

09 F250 KR
                        10" lift, 38s

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                          Pardon me professor but go up to the average person on the street and ask them what a ZL-1 camaro is. They will look at you strange. Only diehard car people understand what that label means, meanwhile back in Quinlan or Gun Barrel City or Waco, every swinging dick with a mullet understands what a Z28 is.
                          Which is perhaps why it was renamed? To sell the Camaro as the more sophisticated and genetically favored car from its white, trailer trash, daisy duke or jorts wearing sibling?

Comment

Originally posted by SS Junk View Post
                            Which is perhaps why it was renamed? To sell the Camaro as the more sophisticated and genetically favored car from its white, trailer trash, daisy duke or jorts wearing sibling?
                            Hmmmm...maybe so. Maybe they want to sell it to the uptown Dallas crowd now. They would have had better luck by naming it the Camaro EXTREME!! or the Camaro M3....
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                            Originally posted by racrguy
                            Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Working...
                            X