Trouble falling asleep? 4-7-8 breathing technique

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble falling asleep? 4-7-8 breathing technique

The method, pioneered by Harvard-trained Dr Andrew Weil, is described as a 'natural tranquiliser for the nervous system' helping to quickly reduce tension and allowing the body to relax.

Can't sleep? Try the 4-7-8 breathing technique that claims to help you nod off in 60 SECONDS

Method has been pioneered by Harvard-trained Dr Andrew Weill
    It involves regulating your breathing to various counts of 4, 7 and 8
    It lets oxygen better fill the lungs, calms the mind and relaxes muscles

By Ellie Zolfagharifard For Dailymail.com

You've tried a warm bath, a hot, milky drink and even counting sheep, but you're still lying wide awake wondering why you can't fall asleep.

Now, one scientist claims he has a way of getting insomniacs to slip into a slumber in just 60 seconds – and it doesn't involve prescription drugs or strange lighting.

Dubbed the 4-7-8 breathing technique, the method is described as a 'natural tranquiliser for the nervous system' helping to reduce tension in the body.

Scroll down for video
    The 4-7-8 breathing technique has been described as a 'natural tranquiliser for the nervous system' helping reduce tension and allowing the body to relax
    +2

The 4-7-8 breathing technique has been described as a 'natural tranquiliser for the nervous system' helping reduce tension and allowing the body to relax
    HOW IT WORKS

The technique is based on pranayama, an ancient Indian practice that means 'regulation of breath.'

The Harvard-trained doctor behind it claims that 4-7-8 is such a powerful technique because it allows oxygen to better fill the lungs.

'This exercise is a natural tranquilizer for the nervous system,' he says.

This extra oxygen can have a relaxing effect on the parasympathetic nervous system, which promotes a state of calmness.

It was pioneered by Arizona-based Dr Andrew Weill who says on his YouTube channel: 'It is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere.'

To do the 4-7-8 breathing technique, you first need to exhale completely through your mouth while making a 'whoosh' sound.

Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.

Now hold your breath for a count of seven.

After this time has elapsed, exhale completely through your mouth, making another whoosh sound for eight second in one large breath.

Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three times for a total of four breaths.

'Note that you always inhale quietly through your nose and exhale audibly through your mouth.

'The tip of your tongue stays in position the whole time,' Dr Weil says.

'Exhalation takes twice as long as inhalation.

'The absolute time you spend on each phase is not important; the ratio of 4-7-8 is important.'

The technique is based on pranayama, an ancient Indian practice that means 'regulation of breath.'

The Harvard-trained doctor claims that 4-7-8 is such a powerful technique because it allows oxygen to better fill the lungs.
    How the 4-7-8 breathing technique can help you nod off
    FALL ASLEEP IN 60 SECONDS

Exhale completely through your mouth while making a 'whoosh' sound.

Close your mouth and inhale quietly through your nose to a mental count of four.

Now hold your breath for a count of seven.

Exhale completely through your mouth, making another whoosh sound for eight second in one large breath.

Now inhale again and repeat the cycle three times for a total of four breaths.

This extra oxygen can have a relaxing effect on the parasympathetic nervous system, which promotes a state of calmness.

During times of stress, the nervous system becomes over stimulated leading to an imbalance that can cause a lack of sleep.

As well as relaxing the parasympathetic nervous system, Dr Weil says 4-7-8 helps you feel connected to your body and distracts you from everyday thoughts that can disrupt sleep.

He says it can also help anxiety.

On a Youtube video explaining the technique, a commenter wrote: 'I tried it and immediately felt better.
    It was pioneered by Arizona-based Dr Andrew Weill (pictured) who says: 'It is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere'
    +2

It was pioneered by Arizona-based Dr Andrew Weill (pictured) who says: 'It is utterly simple, takes almost no time, requires no equipment and can be done anywhere'

'I take meds for OCD and anxiety...I was feeling anxious when I stumbled onto this. One set of four and I feel way less anxious.'

Dr Weil suggests practicing the technique twice a day, for six to eight weeks until you've mastered it enough to fall asleep in just 60 seconds.
    THE WORLD'S SLEEPING HABITS

From the best night's kip being enjoyed on a Wednesday to rising the earliest on a Sunday, new data is giving fascinating insights into how the world sleeps.

Using statistics from Sleep Cycle app users, researchers have discovered that the earliest wake-up time worldwide is on a Monday in South Africa.

MONDAY: The world wakes up earliest on Mondays with South Africa rising first at 6:09 am

TUESDAY: Americans rise early at 7am and are consequently in the worst mood all week.

Other countries that also wake-up grumpy on Tuesdays include Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, South Africa and Brazil

WEDNESDAY: 58% of countries surveyed - including the US - experience sleep best on Wednesdays, with China recording the highest sleep quality in the world that night.

THURSDAY: Middle East users sleep longer on Thursdays than any other day, and Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and UAE also report the best mood on Thursdays.

FRIDAY: Americans sleep latest on Fridays, not rising until 8:24am. They also report the best wake-up mood.

People in Costa Rica, Canada, New Zealand and Sweden also wake up the happiest on Friday.

However, the majority of the world (71 per cent), wake up in the best mood on Saturdays.

SATURDAY: Nearly 90% of countries surveyed sleep more and wake up later on Saturday compared to any other day of the week.

SUNDAY:The majority of the world (66% of countries) spends the least amount of time in bed on Sundays.

Topping the list is South Korea where users only sleep 5 hours and 53 minutes on Sunday nights.
    Share or comment on this article
    WRX

Reading all that shit just about put me to sleep! I'll try it tonight. It better work or I'll get SEB to beat you up.
    .....bro....

Comment

I tried that a few months ago and it didn't do shit!

Comment

Fucking Andrew Weill!
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

just get some exercise.

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Hell I'll try it... I was functioning on 1 hour and 40 minutes of sleep the other night.

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
              just get some exercise.
              Yup, a little physical activity will go a long way for someone looking to get some sleep...
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

Originally posted by Rick Modena View Post
                Yup, a little physical activity will go a long way for someone looking to get some sleep...
                Eh, puff a fatty and sip some bourbon.

David

Comment

i just start breathing really deep and it works for me

Comment

Working...
                  X