No announcement yet.

guitar lessons??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

as stated, he is 8. he is in the dual language program at school, on the honor roll, has jiu jitsu 4 days a week, and gymnastics 2 days. We arent looking to take on another full time hobby, rather learn to pick on the guitar for fun in his very limited down time. i appreciate all the input, and just wanted to state what he/I are looking to get out of this.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
      as stated, he is 8. he is in the dual language program at school, on the honor roll, has jiu jitsu 4 days a week, and gymnastics 2 days. We arent looking to take on another full time hobby, rather learn to pick on the guitar for fun in his very limited down time. i appreciate all the input, and just wanted to state what he/I are looking to get out of this.

god bless.
      Cool...tabs will be nearly instant BTW.

So this gymnastics thing...he doing this for fighting?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
        Cool...tabs will be nearly instant BTW.

So this gymnastics thing...he doing this for fighting?
        haha! yes. its for bjj. its actually called strength and flexibility class.

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

What does he want to play? He into the ??
          2012 GT500

Comment

I've been playing bass since I was in high school and can read tabs and learn a song by ear, I wish I knew more about the fundamentals of the instrument (how to read sheet music and theory.) At his age I'd start him on tabs and put him into band classes at school (should start in middle school) to learn the fundamentals, IMO.

Comment

My daughter got a crazy bug one day and decided she wanted a guitar, don't know why but I guess it's better than wanting some random shit that serves no purpose so she collected all her money and mom took her to Guitar Center and got her a Fender Squire Starter Kit. Well the dvd that comes with that is dated and blah, so I bought her Rock Smith 2014 for the PS4 and wow that is got to be the best learning tool I have ever seen. They claim to be able to teach you to play the guitar in 60 days I believe as long as you practice an hour a day.

I helped her get it set up and it even helps you tune your guitar. The lessons are amazing and all about you learning the current lesson before allowing you to move on to the next. The list of songs it huge and there are games that help you increase your skill as well. You can get this on both consoles as well as PC. It's about $70 and comes with a modified amp cable to plug into your device.

Learn and fast! Rocksmith™+, an award-winning music learning service, allows you learn guitar, bass, and piano, all for a single price. Enjoy playing thousands of your favorite songs with the music learning service that features the most original recordings by artists. Whether you're a brand-new player or looking to take that next step, Rocksmith+ has interactive video lessons for every instrument to covers basic to expert topics. Receive personalized real-time feedback as you play songs & lessons and use our customizable practice tools to hone your skills as you master the trickiest chords and most difficult techniques.
              Steve Riss | Forum Administrator
              CJ Pony Parts, Inc.
              1-800-888-6473 ext. 143

Facebook | Twitter | Google + | YouTube | CJ Blog

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                I've been playing bass since I was in high school and can read tabs and learn a song by ear, I wish I knew more about the fundamentals of the instrument (how to read sheet music and theory.) At his age I'd start him on tabs and put him into band classes at school (should start in middle school) to learn the fundamentals, IMO.
                What kind of stuff do you play?
                2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                  What kind of stuff do you play?
                  The staples, mostly: Rock/metal, blues and country, some VERY limited funk, as I haven't quite figured out the mechanics of slap and pop to make it sound good.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    The staples, mostly: Rock/metal, blues and country, some VERY limited funk, as I haven't quite figured out the mechanics of slap and pop to make it sound good.
                    We shall jam
                    2012 GT500

Comment

My family has a musical background, and I remember from a very early age that guitar was something that I was always fascinated with. My older brother gave me a guitar for my birthday when I was in the 5th grade, and at that time I had already taken piano lessons for a couple years prior....which did give me some basic understanding of musical concepts. However, when I got that first guitar it didn't really seem to apply...at first. Back then, of course, we didn't have the internet or any video games beyond Atari...so I was pretty much on my own. My Mom was a singer who did a lot of session work in a couple studios as-well-as being in more bands than I can remember. She had a bunch of musician friends that used to come around a lot, and several of them taught me basic stuff to get me going, but I was mostly left playing by ear otherwise. I would sit for hours and follow along with records until I could pick up the rhythm line. I remember a point where things just started to click, like I had gotten over the hump, and could pick up and follow along with just about anything that I heard. However, lead riffs were a whole different story. At that point I started taking some lessons whenever we could afford them, and I recall that my teacher was impressed with how well I had developed my own picking skills, and he used to also say that I had an impressive ear.

Through those lessons, learning pentatonic blues scales was probably the next biggest hump that I got over....b/c pretty much all rock & roll leads are based off of those. However, much different from the way that I taught myself rhythm, I didn't follow existing songs to learn the lead tracks....I would play a song on the stereo and just sit and try to put a lead track to it on my own. I eventually got a pretty cool Roland keyboard that had bass, drums, rhythm guitar and keyboard loops in it, and I would set my own loops and then just rip a lead along with it....that was really good practice. The same as with rhythm, I eventually got to a point where I could just listen to a lead track and then follow it.

I've had a couple forced breaks in playing over the years, but I'm happy to say that even today, I'm sitting here in my home office next to my old 85' Charvel, Strat, and Takamine. My tastes have changed a lot over the years, but I still like to crank some Dokken or Metallica from time-to-time....especially after a long day.
                      70' Chevelle RagTop
                      (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

I can play Stairway to Heaven!

Comment

Originally posted by God View Post
                          I can play Stairway to Heaven!
                          White trash anthem of the world! That's what I'm tom'bout.

Comment

MySpace?

Comment

Working...
                            X