guitar lessons??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guitar lessons??

anything online i can put Jr on?? just to mess around with? Im of no help.

god bless.
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Learn tabs. And youtube

Comment

How old is he? If he's pretty young he would benefit much greater from starting out face to face with someone.
      "You wouldn't know what crazy was if Charles Manson was eating Fruit Loops on your front porch"

Comment

thanks gents.

he is 8, but we currently have activities 6days a week. was hoping to kinda keep this in home until i at least see if he is taking to it. at this point we may just love it because the amp makes loud noises!

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Find videos that will teach him scales and fundamentals like picking. If you drop tabs and cover songs on him he won't learn shit.

Comment

now trending : tabs, scales....

god bless.

Comment

You guys are black right? He should already know bass. Just get him a bass.

I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Just have him watch BLS videos, or I have the dimevision dvd if you can't find yours.

Comment

Originally posted by abecx View Post
                  Find videos that will teach him scales and fundamentals like picking. If you drop tabs and cover songs on him he won't learn shit.
                  Bs...tabs were a great way for both me and my brother to learn. It made it fun and is enough to know if you're really into it.

Tabs will eventually teach you chord names and get you going

Comment

Different perspective here:

From someone who learned an instrument the hard way (eg. no tablature), I think you should encourage him to learn music theory and start at the beginning. Learning fingering will encourage a quick start, but that's not the foundation of music. Learning to read actual music ingrains, IMO, a deeper appreciation for music itself - pitches, timing, etc. IMO, tabs encourage a superficial understanding of an instrument, while traditional sheet music (staff notation) encourages an understanding of much deeper concepts and a greater understanding.

I learned violin traditionally (probably the only way) and played for 10 years. I picked up a guitar and learned it via tabs and felt I was cheating and lacking a shitload - being able fingerpick and other things just isnt the same if you feel you're just memorizing a tab. Now I want to teach myself piano the hard way (staff notation) because anything else feels cheap.

But I guess if he starts on tabs he'll never know the difference

Comment

Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
                      Different perspective here:

From someone who learned an instrument the hard way (eg. no tablature), I think you should encourage him to learn music theory and start at the beginning. Learning fingering will encourage a quick start, but that's not the foundation of music. Learning to read actual music ingrains, IMO, a deeper appreciation for music itself - pitches, timing, etc. IMO, tabs encourage a superficial understanding of an instrument, while sheet music (staff notation) encourages an understanding of much deeper concepts and a greater understanding.
                      Yep and make him drop guitar within the week. Have to learn the fun stuff and songs - seeing real world progress and having fun is how you stick with an instrument. Delve into music theory with a 10yo and he will never stick with it.
                      2012 GT500

Comment

Originally posted by Cobraman View Post
                        Yep and make him drop guitar within the week. Have to learn the fun stuff and songs - seeing real world progress and having fun is how you stick with an instrument. Delve into music theory with a 10yo and he will never stick with it.
                        That's a cop out. "Here, this is hard... take the easy way out and don't worry about it so you can get quick results." Don't instill a lazy work ethic at 8 yrs old.

I could have made a bologna sandwich for dinner - the base need was for food - but instead I decided to put in some work, understand how things played together, and make some badass motherfucking' chicken cordon bleu with some cauliflower/cheese/jalapeno biscuits.

If he loves music, be a good parent and do your best to help him understand that it is a massively diverse, complex and amazing thing. He will appreciate it later. Being able to play power chords like Kurt Cobain won't get him anywhere in life.

Comment

That's a cop out. "Here, this is hard... take the easy way out and don't worry about it so you can get quick results." Don't instill a lazy work ethic at 8 yrs.
                          You've just described why tons of people have owned guitars and only a handful stick to it. You are making the guitar work - and it shouldn't be work. Quick results are what make a short attention span kid enjoy and embrace something rather than give up. If they enjoy it, then they will be encouraged by themselves to get better. You sound like a parent that sends his kids to piano lessons even though they hate it. There is absolutely no reason that a young kid needs to learn music theory right away. I picked up a guitar and a distortion pedal when I was 8 and used tabs to pick up easy stuff and moved on to metallica and things that I liked to play. Now without any lessons, I am a great guitar player. Recently i moved into music theory and learning it after 10 years of playing is a breeze, because you already have a very comprehensive knowledge of the instrument and the ability to utilize what you are learning. Where are all my buddies who started off with acoustic, lessons, and music theory? Not playing the guitar.
                          2012 GT500

Comment

I can teach him some Danzig and Metallica

Comment

That's a cop out. "Here, this is hard... take the easy way out and don't worry about it so you can get quick results." Don't instill a lazy work ethic at 8 yrs old.

I could have made a bologna sandwich for dinner - the base need was for food - but instead I decided to put in some work, understand how things played together, and make some badass motherfucking' chicken cordon bleu with some cauliflower/cheese/jalapeno biscuits.

If he loves music, be a good parent and do your best to help him understand that it is a massively diverse, complex and amazing thing. He will appreciate it later. Being able to play power chords like Kurt Cobain won't get him anywhere in life.
                              He's right, the kids 8. Music theory doesn't mean shit to an 8 year old. Don't be convinced that because something is harder its superior.

Several famous musicians couldn't even read sheet music...jimi Hendrix being one. He learned by emulating songs he heard. No one in their right mind would call Hendrix a cheat.

Doing what strych suggested will make the instrument boring before he ever plays a song. Work smart not hard. 8 year olds dont think like 30 year olds. Nobody teaches derivations before arithmetic. Tabs will inherently teach you most all techniques if you go for it. Hell even books that teach chords are just tabs made more complicated.

I've played the bass, 6 string, trumpet and drums. Trumpet was classically taught, guitar and bass a mix of tabs/sheet music and drums...well that's different. I had much more fun learning to play guitar because I took all the fluff out and got to the point. I played the sounds I wanted to hear because I loved the instrument...not the theory.

The cooking reference can apply directly to tabs since those recipes are not original.

Comment

Working...
                              X