Warning: Trying to access array offset on value of type null in phar://.../vb/vb.phar/bbcode/url.php on line 2 Cool place to go overnight camping? - DFW Mustangs

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cool place to go overnight camping?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool place to go overnight camping?

We're planning on going camping the weekend of may 16 with the family and some friends. Any suggestions on where to go besides lake lewisville? I'm thinking no more than an hour and a half away.

We would be doing tent camping and would like to be able to rent canoes or stuff like that. Thanks for the suggestions...

Lake Mineral Wells State Park is pretty close. I've camped there before an enjoyed it and I know they rent canoes and things at the park HQ.

Comment

If you had that pilot license and plane already you could fly somewhere further!

Comment

Eisenhower State Park. It's our current favorite for a short weekend.

Comment

Cedar Hill State Park is very nice and it's super close. You won't believe that you're still in the metroplex when you get there, with all the rolling hills and wildlife.

Tyler State Park is beautiful, but just outside of your 1.5 hour range. My only complaint with that park is that the vast majority of the sites are small and very close together.

Both offer canoe rentals and plenty of activities.

With either one of those, you'll want to make reservations now, and you'd be smart to get there and pick your spot on a Thursday or at least super early Friday morning. They fill up quickly, and the best spots go early, obviously. The reservation over the phone/internet holds you a spot, but you can't pick the exact one you want until you are physically there. If you show up Friday evening without a reservation, you might not get one at all.

IMO, it's going to be miserable tent camping from now until mid-October. Too fucking hot, and if a cold front does come through, it will probably bring severe weather. But good luck and have fun, anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Unicorn Jeff View Post
            If you had that pilot license and plane already you could fly somewhere further!
            True Story. I miss flying.

Comment

Use to go here a lot. Longer drive, but if this spot isn't taken you're pretty much away from everyone and can hear the falls.

Comment

I've been thinking about Uranus, just pitch a tent and hang out for a day or two.

Comment

Glen rose. Go tubing fown the river.

Comment

Cleburne State Park is nice. Great hiking and biking plus a small lake. This time of year State Parks are pretty full, make reservations before your go.

Comment

If you haven't made reservations yet you are probably SOL at this point. I planned all 8 of my camping trips (March to May) in early Feb and sites were getting scarce then.
                      As mentioned here are my favs- 2 to 2.5 hours away
                      Mineral Wells St Park(lake may be low)
                      Cleburne St Park- lake fine
                      Tyler St Park- lake fine torrential rainfall last two months
                      Meridian St Park
                      Lake Brownwood St Park

I've camped at over 50 state parks over the past years but never anything in NE Texas so I'm not familiar with what that region offers.

another option is Federal Forest areas such as Davy Crockett, Sam Houston, or Sabine National Forests

Comment

Another vote for mineral wells. Just watch out for the crazy coons.

Comment

Can you legally drink at any of these or do I need to do it on the down low?

Comment

Another vote for Cedar Hill State Park. I was just there this weekend, taking the boat out. The lake is up and the trails looked good. If you like off road biking, they've got some cool trails. The crappie were biting, from what I was seeing.

On that note, grab yourself an annual state park license. $70 and unlimited entry to any state park in Texas.

Comment

Trinity river
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X