Thinking of buying a plane...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a plane...

So, I went on a dinner and flight deal at Delta Charlie's and now I got the itch to get my pilot's license and maybe even buy a plane. I saw some Cessna's going for a reasonable price, but I'm scared of all the maintenance on them.

Anyone here have a private pilot's license? Own a plane? Have you bought a plane in a partnership? Just a crazy idea...

It is like owning a boat but less fun, more expensive, a greater pain in the ass, and time consuming as hell.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Originally posted by Memo View Post
      So, I went on a dinner and flight deal at Delta Charlie's and now I got the itch to get my pilot's license and maybe even buy a plane. I saw some Cessna's going for a reasonable price, but I'm scared of all the maintenance on them.

Anyone here have a private pilot's license? Own a plane? Have you bought a plane in a partnership? Just a crazy idea...
      I have known several that have their pilot`s liscense and own planes. Most are commercial pilots, one owns a private company, and the remaining are just in it for the hobby.

This is a VERY EXPENSIVE hobby, be prepared for the following:

1. Initial costs of training for that liscense - It`s reasonable, but can be time consuming if you have a lot going on in your life.
      2. The cost of the plane - You get what you pay for
      3. Insurance on the plane - I recomend joining EAA to get a better rate
      4. Maintence costs if you cannot do it yourself
      5. Hangar/Storage Fees unless you are one of the lucky few that live adjacent to a private airport
      6. Misc Fees that will pop up
      7. Be prepared to follow A LOT of rules

Your first place to visit should be EAA`s website, that way you can meet up with some local aviation people. If you are really good with tools, this group can even show you how to build your own plane.

The Experimental Aircraft Association, EAA, based in Oshkosh, Wisconsin, encourages and supports the flying, building and restoration of recreational aircraft

Last edited by Mongoose; 04-28-2015, 05:39 PM.

Comment

As has been mentioned get ready to drop some cash. I have my Private rating and was fortunate enough to get about half my time in for about $90 an hour plane and instructor. Mind you this was in a 150/152 around '01-'03. Fast foward 9 years I finally decide to finish in a 172 at $120 with instructor in 2012. That same plane and instructor now cost $150 per hr.

I'm now in instrument ground at a part 141 school with intentions on getting my instrument, commercial, cfii, mei ratings and after I'm done I will have dropped a metric shit ton of money to achieve those ratings. But aviation is something I've known since I was very young was what I wanted to do so I look at it as investing in myself.

My advice make sure it's something you really want to do, I'd estimate a PPL in the DFW area is going to be close to $10K. Buying a plane, make some friends in the aviation world and out of those look for the most responsible, financially stable and see if their interested in sharing ownership of an airplane. That way the cost can be split 3-4 ways.

Just my .02
        1990 GT

Comment

Private pilot certificate

Comment

Interested in the details. Something I'm planning on when I buy my p51.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
              Private pilot certificate
              True, but there are even other options for less training if the OP was just only interested in flying something that got off the ground. Not sure I would want to be on something that was nothing more than a glorified paper plane though.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
                Interested in the details. Something I'm planning on when I buy my p51.
                Follow the links on here. One of the local EAA chapters can even take you up for that first flight for free.

Comment

I dare you to buy a Cessna 210, Memo.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Where is Propellerhead? He knows a thing or two about this.

Comment

Depending on what you want to do you can look into Light Sport Aircrafts.
                      They don't require anything more than a drivers license. If you just enjoy flying around, hitting different small airport and get togethers that is the ticket.
                      If you are looking to take the family on vacations to Colorado and Montana, well, you will need a full Cert and probably IFR rating.
                      My dad went out and got his cert years ago and bought a Cessna 180. He now wishes he had gone the LSA way because his Cessna just sits in the hangar. He doesn't use it like he thought he would and my Mom doesn't enjoy flying.

A light sport aircraft has restrictions on horsepower, gross weight and when you can fly but because of that, they are cheap. You can get a Taylorcraft or Luscombe and Aeronca. Anywere from $14k to $30k.

Comment

lilvega has a point about the LSA. It is a lot more affordable but there are also limitations. Even then, it isn't exactly cheap. But you can also build up time and experience for eventually getting a private certificate.

IMO, if you're going to do this, then get your license first. See if this is actually for you..

As for aircraft ownership, look into getting a fractional ownership or lease. In that situation, you and a group of other owners create a corporation that owns or leases the aircraft. You each own a share of the corporation and pay dues into it for the loan/lease payment, hangar fees, and upkeep of the aircraft. Then you basically share its use.

Comment

Comment

No G6 no care

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X