Moving to a Different State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to a Different State

For those who have done it, what method did you use for moving your stuff?

I'm moving from Arlington to Lake City, CO, which is a very tiny mountain town (solid barg?). I have two storage units crammed to the gills, roughly a 2000-ish sq ft home's worth of stuff that I need to get from here to there.

My first thought was PODS because I figured to save money on labor since I would load and unload it myself. They don't service that area, but they pointed me to another company that does. Those bastards want $4400, and it sounds like they might not even be able to fit everything into their biggest container. And of course, I'd still have to load and unload at that price. Fuck that shit! (Baller status denied?)

If I did it myself I'd need the biggest U-haul they would let me rent and I still might not get it all in one trip. The thought of driving 800 miles in an old, slow, heavy U-haul with a trillion miles on it with unknown brake and trans maintenance through mountain passes with crazy curves, huge cliffs, and steep grades makes me want to puke.

I am leaning towards a full-service moving company, but haven't gotten any quotes yet. I'm not going to sign up for the online quote bullshit either. I don't need them blowing me up, and I'd rather go by referral.

So, looking for referrals, good and bad experiences, lessons learned, solid advice, etc.

Thanks in advance!

I'd get a full on moving company with insurance and lock in a guaranteed price before they touh a piece of furniture. A buddy moved to LA and took a 2bedroom apt. For ~$2300.

Comment

Full service is the way to go. Get competing bids, too. The downside is, they might hold your stuff a little while in a freight yard until they have a driver going your way.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

America’s most trusted moving company. Mayflower? moving companies provide stress-free moving since 1927. Get a free quote today.
        "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
        "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
          I'd get a full on moving company with insurance and lock in a guaranteed price before they touh a piece of furniture. A buddy moved to LA and took a 2bedroom apt. For ~$2300.
          Originally posted by YALE View Post
          Full service is the way to go. Get competing bids, too. The downside is, they might hold your stuff a little while in a freight yard until they have a driver going your way.
          Originally posted by CJ View Post
          This. Full service is where it's at. Pricey, but LOADS better. They even pack your shit, at least in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
            Assuming they have insurance and the stuff would most likely be safe, I'm okay with that.

The more I think about it, the more I really don't want to move it myself. I don't know anyone up there who could help unload.
            The Pods thing would have been cool because I could unload over several days, but even then, some if my stuff takes 2-3 sets of hands.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              Assuming they have insurance and the stuff would most likely be safe, I'm okay with that.

The more I think about it, the more I really don't want to move it myself. I don't know anyone up there who could help unload.
              The Pods thing would have been cool because I could unload over several days, but even then, some if my stuff takes 2-3 sets of hands.
              Trust me, they will get all of your stuff in one truck. My parents moved from a 3,700sq ft. house and everything fit into one of those trucks.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Check with abf freight. They have a service called Upack where they drop off one of their smaller size trailers. You load it and then they come pick it up. I've used them in the past but it has been a while. They had good prices back then. Maybe be an option you should check out. You pay based on how much you use.
                2017 Infinity Q50s Red Sport
                2002 NSX

Comment

Just requested by quote from them. Thanks. Have you used them yourself?

Comment

I have. None of my stuff got broken.
                    ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Trust me, they will get all of your stuff in one truck. My parents moved from a 3,700sq ft. house and everything fit into one of those trucks.
                      They won't be able to get an 18-wheeler to my new house. It's on the side of a mountain. Even a big U-haul will be sketchy.

Originally posted by odenspike View Post
                      Check with abf freight. They have a service called Upack where they drop off one of their smaller size trailers. You load it and then they come pick it up. I've used them in the past but it has been a while. They had good prices back then. Maybe be an option you should check out. You pay based on how much you use.
                      Those are the guys who quoted me $4400.

Comment

no help, but congrats man you been talking about that for years!!

god bless.
                        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

I used the mayflower equivalent of a pod when I moved to austin. That was mostly because I wasn't sure how long I'd be in corporate living since we hadn't picked a house yet. It was great not having a schedule and just being able to leave my shit there as long as I needed.

But if I knew where I was going to be...I'd go full service no doubt

Comment

Wow. Abf went up a lot. I think when I used them to go from Laredo to Tacoma it was less then 2k but that was some years ago. Guess that one is a best! Good luck on your search.
                            2017 Infinity Q50s Red Sport
                            2002 NSX

Comment

What about drop off in the town to a storage facility.

Comment

Working...
                              X