simple robotic/remote controlled student project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• simple robotic/remote controlled student project

I need some halp from the engineers/brainiacs on this site...

My daughter has an assignment that will be for her 6week grade. She chose to build a robot of some sort. I can't seem to find anything via google other than the prepackaged "robot" toys which are not allowed.

Fry's does have a section with a bunch of different servo's and relays and stuff but I have not idea what to do with that. I'm hoping to be able to build something simple with moving parts controlled by either a few buttons or maybe even an old wired xbox controller. Right now the idea I have is a crane type device that can rotate on a base, raise/lower an arm, and open/close a claw.

I've seen projects like this but I can't seem to even find pics of what I'm looking for at the moment. It's basically made with numerous brackets that you attach together with little nuts and bolts.

Does anyone have any leads on this sort of stuff?

Build a robot that explains common core.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Robot blueprints returned a shit ton of google results.
      Originally posted by BradM
      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
      Originally posted by Leah
      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

No real good at this stuff too, but looked this up...

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/4M-3653-Tin-Can-Robot/dp/B0014WO96Y[/ame]
        Originally posted by MR EDD
        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

How old is she and how much do you want to spend? Getting some rc gear will make it easy, but a crane will require more than you think because it's not just simple servos.

Comment

$13 voice changer kit. Use it to explain frequency modulation.
            ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

He said robotics and not prepackaged.

Comment

What grade is she in?

I just want to know what I am looking forward to when my kids get to that age.

Comment

Is an erector set considered prepackaged?

You can make all sorts of shit with those.

Comment

I have a ton of rc stuff that you can use or have, if it would help. Would a quadcopter/drone satisify the parameters of the project?

Comment

This was svo's simple robotic project when he was in kindergarten

Comment

^^^ Lmfao
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

adafruit.com has some great DIY projects. I have had good luck with projects on Arduino boards but you have to know how to use a computer.

Comment

not a robot, but it's simple and pretty cool.

CHOO CHOO!

Search the world's information, including webpages, images, videos and more. Google has many special features to help you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

She's 11, 5th grade.

Originally posted by Snatch Napkin View Post
                              Is an erector set considered prepackaged?

You can make all sorts of shit with those.
                              I was looking at this link someone posted. I think this could work. I see that it takes batteries but I don't know what for. Plus is uses a manual cable for the crane part.

It looks like I'll probably end up spending close to $100 bucks but I'm hoping for much lower than that.

As far as the crane, I was referring to just an arm that swivels on a base, bends, like an elbow, and a claw at the end of it that is open until a button is pressed. But I really don't know what's involved with all of that.

I can look into RC stuff, don't know much about that either so both of these ideas will require some learning. I'd like to keep it simple enough that she can give a quick explanation of what is going on (hopefully).

Comment

Working...
                              X