Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gotta love our new insurance deductibles and their process...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gotta love our new insurance deductibles and their process...

Some of you know I have narcolepsy. I take 250mg of a drug called Nuvigil daily. Today I went to refill my "cost effective" 90-day supply and was told I need to pre-pay before they will ship. No worries. Last time was $118 like the time before. I called in and was basically told,

"Well you haven't met your deductible yet this year. Your prescription cost will be $1,518. That will need to be paid before we can ship. How would you like to pay?"

Thanks Obama.
    Originally posted by PGreenCobra
    I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
    Originally posted by Trip McNeely
    Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
    dont downshift!!
    Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

It's pretty good insurance after you spend the first eight grand yourself.
    When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
      It's pretty good insurance after you spend the first eight grand yourself.
      lol

Comment

That's nuts. Check out a few other places to see if they are all gonna do you like that.

The insurance we have has a deductible, but I've never had to pay it before getting prescriptions, office visits, etc. Only major stuff.

It may have changed for you no matter what, but it's worth checking around to see if it's different from one pharmacy to the next.

Kroger tried to get $400 for Tiff's asthma medicine, so she went to a small pharmacy here in Grapevine and got the exact same thing for $60.

Comment

What is your deductible? We have kinda been going thru the same thing the past couple years just not all at once like that.

Comment

Have you considered going to Mexico?

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
              That's nuts. Check out a few other places to see if they are all gonna do you like that.

The insurance we have has a deductible, but I've never had to pay it before getting prescriptions, office visits, etc. Only major stuff.

It may have changed for you no matter what, but it's worth checking around to see if it's different from one pharmacy to the next.

Kroger tried to get $400 for Tiff's asthma medicine, so she went to a small pharmacy here in Grapevine and got the exact same thing for $60.
              That's how ours is too.. Strange.

Comment

Refused to ship unless I pay retail. I politely explained that I have been taking this medication for 4 years and the sum of all my prescription payments to this point is less than $980. It's extortion, they know I need it and they're trying to charge me full retail. I also politely told them to go fuck themselves.
                I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                dont downshift!!

Comment

Sounds like your plan is this. Not saying it is but I know mine is.

A high-deductible health plan (HDHP) is a health insurance plan with lower premiums and higher deductibles than a traditional health plan. Being covered by an HDHP is also a requirement for having a health savings account.[1] Some HDHP plans also offer additional "wellness" benefits, provided before a deductible is paid. High-deductible health plans are a form of catastrophic coverage, intended to cover for catastrophic illnesses

My deductible is not outrageous at 2500 for family but I have to pay for EVERYTHING out of pocket up until it is met. BUT you pay the insurance negotiated prices for all. SO with that said it does benefit to shop around for medicine. COSTCO I have heard has some real good pricing on meds and you do not have to be a member to use the pharmacy.

Oh and I searched, that sh*t is expensive as hell.

NUVIGIL 250MG TABLET More Information
                  Taken once per day. Change dosage
                  Preferred Brand
                  Method Your Cost Employer Cost Total Cost
                  Mail Service or 90-Day CVS Retail
                  90 days - Qty 90
                  $1,345.45
                  Last edited by 94form2000z; 04-08-2015, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Yeah welcome to the new HDHP system. You pay a lower monthly rate but they don't cover anything other than preventative care until you meet 100% of the deductible. Prescription benefits are rolled into the same plan.

You should talk to your doctor if you can get an appointment. See if you can get it classified as a preventative medication. Or maybe there is something from Walmart's $4 drug section that'll work as well.

Comment

Damn! I would hire a chauffeur and enjoy some extra naps for that kind of scratch.

Comment

Brad is more on-point: I am waiting for a call back from my doc. It NEEDS to be preventative... It prevents me from falling asleep and killing myself while driving. If they can't get it taken care of, I'm weaning myself off. Fucking bullshit.
                        dont downshift!!

Comment

i heard red bull can keep you awake.

Comment

Originally posted by DON SVO View Post
                            Brad is more on-point: I am waiting for a call back from my doc. It NEEDS to be preventative... It prevents me from falling asleep and killing myself while driving. If they can't get it taken care of, I'm weaning myself off. Fucking bullshit.
                            I'll talk to my brother. He is narcoleptic, but stopped taking the meds and seems to be fine. I know he had to do some things early on to get off the meds, but I don't remember what they were.
                            Originally posted by BradM
                            But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                            Originally posted by Leah
                            In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                              i heard red bull can keep you awake.
                              Being dead serious, I literally fell asleep on the way to school (yes while I was driving) after drinking 2 red bulls. Narcolepsy thinks caffeine is a very funny joke, and probably writes about caffiene in its diary at night.
                              dont downshift!!

Comment

Working...
                              X