Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who signs up for credit cards just to get the initial rewards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to find a good c.c company to swith my capital one c.c. over to. Have 23% apr on that sucker.

Comment

What if you just rack up 10k and never pay a dime
      WH

Comment

I sign up for the bonus then close the account. I got $100 off a Southwest Airlines flight so my round trip to Portland, OR cost me $96.20. I'm definitely not a slave to the plastic I make them pay me. Don- you should have called the credit card company and make them refund you. Before I was on auto pay I fogot to schedule my payment and I was late and I just called them up and made them refund the late fee and the few dollars in interest. I have the AA citi card that gives me free checked bags and each year before the annual fee is charged I call them and ask for it to be waived I'm going on year 3 with no fee.
        BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
        I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
        PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

Originally posted by Barbie View Post
          I sign up for the bonus then close the account. I got $100 off a Southwest Airlines flight so my round trip to Portland, OR cost me $96.20. I'm definitely not a slave to the plastic I make them pay me. Don- you should have called the credit card company and make them refund you. Before I was on auto pay I fogot to schedule my payment and I was late and I just called them up and made them refund the late fee and the few dollars in interest. I have the AA citi card that gives me free checked bags and each year before the annual fee is charged I call them and ask for it to be waived I'm going on year 3 with no fee.
          Yup. You are a barbie

Comment

Originally posted by Craizie View Post
            Holy shit.
            Holy cow...
            sigpic

Comment

Im a credit card whore.. The fiance and I have a bunch. We signed up for the bonuses and rarely use them. Converted most of them to free cards after the year was over.

We cashed in 500k miles/points on a round the world trip. Take it for what its worth but these were our redemptions and their "value"
              (2) first class tickets on Cathay Pacific from San Francisco to Hong Kong - $20k ish. each ticket is about $10k one way
              (2) business class flights from Johannesburg South Africa to Barcelona Spain - $9000
              (2) first class tickets from London to New York - $10k

I have also cashed in Chase Sapphire points a couple times. Id say $3000 or so in cash in my paypal from a broker.

So yeah. All of you people thinking you are slave of plastic just because you have them are simple minded. Use them to your advantage and dont let them use you to their advantage. Pay those cards off each month and reap the rewards.

Comment

Yep. Why not get paid for spending the same amount you would spend anyway.
                BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
                I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
                PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1

Comment

Originally posted by Barbie View Post
                  Yep. Why not get paid for spending the same amount you would spend anyway.
                  Exactly. Our daily spending over the last 4 months has covered all but $200 of our trip to Hilton Head SC in June
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

I used to run a credit card deals website with a friend who did a lot of mileage/point/balance transfer hustles. My credit sucked, so I didn't get in on the best hustles.

If you are GOOD with credit, then you can do really well. My friend had:
                    • Over 100k in 0% balance transfer checks sitting in CD's
                    • 100,000 American Airlines Miles (from 1 card)
                    • 75,000 British Avios (from 1 card, better for domestic short flights when you spend on AA)

I think they put a stop to app-a-thons, but you used to be able to get approved for a bunch of cards at once.

What he would do to get the initial spend is find things like deals on xbox's and then sell them on eBay. So he would buy $8,000 in xboxs on the credit card and sell them on eBay, make a few bucks + meeting his minimum spend.

He registered a DBA and used that for signing up for business cards. Fat wallet and slickdeals are now the best places to find deals and advice on how to best take advantage of them.

Currently I believe he is buying a lot of gift cards? I guess category spending at places like Kohls that sell American Express/Visa gift cards so you get the 5% back, then use those cards to pay utilities/necessities.

Comment

TRUTH! As long as you use them responsibly, there is no harm to having them. I have a whole bunch, but never use them all. I have one main one I use (Citi AA Executive) for everything, including work expenses which are reimbursed. So basically, I'm getting free miles since work pays me back for all my stuff when I travel. Otherwise, i have one other card that I use for large purchases that I plan to pay off over a short time vs all at once, and it has a very low fixed rate (6.25) so I'm not worried about the small interest that accrues. The rest of them sit in the safe, and if a good offer comes along for a 0% deal, and I want to buy something large, I will use that, pay it off, and viola!

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post
                      Im a credit card whore.. The fiance and I have a bunch. We signed up for the bonuses and rarely use them. Converted most of them to free cards after the year was over.

We cashed in 500k miles/points on a round the world trip. Take it for what its worth but these were our redemptions and their "value"
                      (2) first class tickets on Cathay Pacific from San Francisco to Hong Kong - $20k ish. each ticket is about $10k one way
                      (2) business class flights from Johannesburg South Africa to Barcelona Spain - $9000

I have also cashed in Chase Sapphire points a couple times. Id say $3000 or so in cash in my paypal from a broker.

So yeah. All of you people thinking you are slave of plastic just because you have them are simple minded. Use them to your advantage and dont let them use you to their advantage. Pay those cards off each month and reap the rewards.
                      2009 Mercedes C63 AMG

Comment

OH but you guys are slaves! cash only or you cant afford it! blah blah blah.....

Comment

No reason to have more than 1 credit card imo

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                            No reason to have more than 1 credit card imo
                            What about several hundred thousand reasons?

Originally posted by 8mpg View Post

ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                            X