new inspecion laws...trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new inspecion laws...trailers

So my buddy just got a letter to get his trailer inspected to get it registered (per this new inspection rule I guess). He has it registered as 7k lbs and took it today to be inspected. It is a dual axle trailer and they told him all dual axle trailers have to have trailer brakes. His doesn't so they couldn't inspect it.

two questions:

A: Is this true that all tandem axles have to have brakes?

B: If registered as a 4k lb trailer will it still have to be inspected?

Mines a 16ft with tandem axles but doesn't have brakes either. can't believe all of a sudden thousands and thousands of trailers will be illegal?

Technically thousands and thousands of trailers have always been illegal. Trailer inspections have always been required, but now that inspections/registrations go hand in hand without one you don't get the other. Thus, you're trailer doesn't get registered for use on the roads without a passed inspection etc. Before, you never needed proof of inspection for your trailer tags.

I believe anything over 4k requires inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by David View Post
      Technically thousands and thousands of trailers have always been illegal. Trailer inspections have always been required, but now that inspections/registrations go hand in hand without one you don't get the other. Thus, you're trailer doesn't get registered for use on the roads without a passed inspection etc. Before, you never needed proof of inspection for your trailer tags.

I believe anything over 4k requires inspection.
      thanks, mine is under 4k so hopefully I dont have to mess with it. Unfortunately my boat trailer will probably have to be inspected.

So have all tandem axle trailers always had to have trailer brakes? Doesn't seem like big tex and some of these big guys would make them that way if they were illegal out of the gate? I just never knew ALL dual axles had to have brakes regardless of anything else. My friends is a small 14' he hauls his RZR with and now is illegal!

Comment

Now the state just won't get the money for the registration either. I don't see people who only use their trailer a few times a year going through the trouble of getting an inspection.

Comment

Looks like all trailers the exceed a 4500lb GVWR have to have brakes regardless of number of axles.

Comment

I always went thru the pain of getting my trailer inspected. It came in handy one day when I got pulled over by a bike cop and he went over my trailer with a fine tooth comb and everything was in order except for a missing secondary safety chain. I talked my way out of a ticket though by promising to fix the chain which I did take care of.

Unfortunately, someone later stole my trailer and that was that.

Sucks about the new laws and the brakes deal.

Comment

That's why you just get a dolly and be done with it.

Comment

This is one thing I really believe should be done. Having seen some of the crap people pull behind their vehicles with bad tires, missing fenders, busted/missing/non functioning lights, the drivers need to pay attention to their trailer maintenance.

Comment

I have this thread on it...

I received a notice in the mail today that my boat trailer requires inspection for registration, but my utility trailer did not receive the same notice. When reading the laws, I can't find anything NEW about inspections - or anything formal about what is and is not required. None of my trailers are 4500# or heavier. Has

...still not real clear but figure I'll take what they want down and get them inspected.
                  Originally posted by MR EDD
                  U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Working...
                  X