Trailer Inspections?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Inspections?

I received a notice in the mail today that my boat trailer requires inspection for registration, but my utility trailer did not receive the same notice.

When reading the laws, I can't find anything NEW about inspections - or anything formal about what is and is not required. None of my trailers are 4500# or heavier. Has anyone heard anything about new inspection laws for trailers or do I need to try and get this corrected by the DMV?
    Originally posted by MR EDD
    U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

It used to be that folks would tag their trailers, but not inspect them. Now inspections are tied to the vin and you can't get it registered without an inspection.

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
      It used to be that folks would tag their trailers, but not inspect them. Now inspections are tied to the vin and you can't get it registered without an inspection.
      AH! So that law applies to trailers and cars same/same then? Sort of makes sense. Guess I gotta get my trailers inspected.
      Originally posted by MR EDD
      U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

wonder if this is a state wide bit or county to county? The last thing I need is some 18 year old driving my truck around with a trailer hooked to it
        -Blaine

Comment

This is gonna be a PITA. I bet 90% of the trailers and bike on the road don't have an inspection... Gonna be a ton of folks having problems passing the trailer one. I think working brakes are a requirement now over a certain weight...

Comment

Originally posted by bpawl View Post
            wonder if this is a state wide bit or county to county? The last thing I need is some 18 year old driving my truck around with a trailer hooked to it
            They don't drive your trailer around, it's statewide. I'm not sure of the light particulars, but I know you must have reflective red/silver reflective tape at lease half of the length of the trailer, all the way across the back, and if it's a gooseneck, the entire length must be taped. If it has dual read wheels, the mud flap must be no more that 12" above the ground for the inspection, but the DOT requirement is 8".

I can get with our inspector on Monday to get all of the requirements for light duty trailers if you'd like.

Comment

Who inspects them?
              2015 F250 Platinum

Comment

I see this as a good thing.There are some sketchy as trailers out there. People just hook up and drive.

Comment

google is your friend

requirements are here

location search, look for some place that has TL on the right side

Comment

Originally posted by ryuu View Post
                    google is your friend

requirements are here

location search, look for some place that has TL on the right side
                    https://www.txdps.state.tx.us/rsd/vi...tationLocator/
                    I like that the window tint is a requirement when I get my trailer inspected. I don't think my 16' has side markers on the front so I guess we'll see!

Comment

Can't expect too much from a state website.

Can't swing this on my boat trailer but for older trailers that I had to rebuild when it was time to tag them I would go down and register them as home built, they would ask the total weight and give me a new tag.

Comment

Working...
                      X