air compressor question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• air compressor question

I have a single stage 6.5 hp, 60 gallon compressor with a 125 psi shut off. Would it be possible to swap out the pressure switch to achieve 150 psi?

I would think the tank could handle the extra psi? Also would think I would have enough hp?

Thoughts on this? Any body done this already?

You should be able to adjust the pressure switch. Most compressors you can adjust the turn on and cut out pressure.
    07 GT500
    05 SRT10
    88 turbocoupe T-bird
    93 Cobra
    86 coupe
    Ducati 848

Comment

I was thinking the max is static from what i read. Not sure tho

Comment

The tank should be fine, check what the relief valve is set for. It probably has a 150psi in it now which will need to be changed out. The compressor may not like it though.

Comment

Why not flip the compressor you have on craigslist and get one already to go?

Comment

Originally posted by jw33 View Post
            The tank should be fine, check what the relief valve is set for. It probably has a 150psi in it now which will need to be changed out. The compressor may not like it though.

I would be happy with 135 psi honestly. Will see if I can get a number off it an see

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
              Why not flip the compressor you have on craigslist and get one already to go?
              Was hoping this would be much simpler...

Comment

I'm no expert , but I would guess the tanks are rated to a certain psi. Going above the rated psi on a tank might be a dangerous plan. (the older the worse the idea). A buddy of mine had a tank fail. It was older and rusted (drain your tanks people). Anyway, he said it sounded like a bomb went off. He's lucky he didn't catch shrapnel.
                Watch this and decide for yourself...
                This is a safety video i made from footage of the tragedy of one exploding. I want help raise awareness of the dangers of air compressors so this dont happen...

Comment

Take the pressure switch cap off same place the power wires go to. Get a flat head screw driver turn the screw counter clockwise till desired pressure. I have seen some manufactures put like hot glue on the threads just remove the glue and turn. I doubt you have a 6.5 hp compressor on a 60 gallon tank I bet they added the electric motor plus the compressor motor together kind of false advertising. If you are local I may have a couple pressure switches laying around
                  Last edited by BigBlue; 03-12-2015, 08:13 PM. Reason: had more to say

Comment

Whatever you do, video tape the first use of the tank building up the pressure to it's new peak levels!

Comment

Good input people ,thanks for the replies. Lol dont worry, I will do my home work before doing any thing. Extra 25 psi should be doa le

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue View Post
                        Take the pressure switch cap off same place the power wires go to. Get a flat head screw driver turn the screw counter clockwise till desired pressure. I have seen some manufactures put like hot glue on the threads just remove the glue and turn. I doubt you have a 6.5 hp compressor on a 60 gallon tank I bet they added the electric motor plus the compressor motor together kind of false advertising. If you are local I may have a couple pressure switches laying around
                        You are probably correct on the hp. I have noticed nothing is that high now days on these compressors

Comment

Yea I wonder about the HP myself, I have a 2 stage 80G and it only has 5 hp.

Comment

OK the tank is rated at 150 psi at 450 degrees F. So plenty safe there. No chance of ever getting to 450 degrees. Motor has no hp rating on it.. Just spcl duty. It has a torque bit for adjustment. Turned it a little pit and found out if you push down on it , it kicks the compressor on. Runs for a second or two and shuts down with air escaping the blowoff valve.

I think if I can get a pressure switch for 135-140 it should be safe enough. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by BigBlue View Post
                              I am in Burleson. Where u Be?

Comment

Working...
                              X