Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did P&I insurance requirements really drop this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did P&I insurance requirements really drop this year?

Lately I have been getting calls with companies telling me PMI insurance requirements have gone down and I am just wondering if that is true, or are they just going by the amount of time I have been in the home? I have only been here 3 years.

If they have gone down, how do you go about eliminating or reducing it?

I fully expect the ballers to join in bragging about their 50% down or paid cash.

Interested to hear more on this as well!
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776

Comment

Perhaps you've paid enough principal to meet requirements to lower PMI. I'm only aware of the 10% figure to have it removed, but perhaps your lender has a schedule for reducing it as well.

Comment

PMI is 80% equity before you can have it removed.

Are you talking PMI (standard loan) or MIP (FHA/Govt loan)?

Comment

10% down pmi is less than 5% down pmi. Maybe it's an equity thing. If you refinance the same house but the equity is now equal to a greater percent down...then you require less pmi.

I believe you can also buy pmi out if you have a few grand sitting around.

Comment

Originally posted by Binky View Post
            PMI is 80% equity before you can have it removed.

Are you talking PMI (standard loan) or MIP (FHA/Govt loan)?
            20% equity...

Comment

^^^^^
              Truth

Comment

That's right, 20%, I suppose I was being optimistic for myself. It's all a money grab anyway, is paying a few hundred dollars more a month really going to ensure that I don't default on my loan? I'd really like to know the logic behind it, beyond being an excuse to make more money.

Comment

Call your lender. It's always worth checking to see if you can drop PMI. But it's usually a pain in the ass, and could require a new appraisal which you get to pay for.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                    That's right, 20%, I suppose I was being optimistic for myself. It's all a money grab anyway, is paying a few hundred dollars more a month really going to ensure that I don't default on my loan? I'd really like to know the logic behind it, beyond being an excuse to make more money.
                    Its covering the lenders ass. That's all it is doing.

Comment

And even more bullshit is that you pay insurance that you can never benefit from. If shit hits the fan and you foreclose, that insurance never covers you. It only saves the bank. Wtf mate?

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                        And even more bullshit is that you pay insurance that you can never benefit from. If shit hits the fan and you foreclose, that insurance never covers you. It only saves the bank. Wtf mate?
                        here here ole chap

Comment

Though PMI is required by lenders When putting less than 20% down, the lender has to purchase that PMI through third parties. My sister sells PMI to lenders.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

FHA cut MIP premiums significantly. That with lower rates should be a good savings if you can do an FHA streamline refi. I work on the conventional sidew and there is no change on PMI

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                              Though PMI is required by lenders When putting less than 20% down, the lender has to purchase that PMI through third parties. My sister sells PMI to lenders.
                              Tell your sister to cut it out...

Comment

Working...
                              X