That was freaky... Earthquake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
    They have 2 huge tanks that seperate oil in one tank and waste in the other. They then truck the waste to a seperate location where it's pumped back into the ground at injection wells. Am I right?
    Definitely - no matter what method is used to extract oil and gas this process almost always also brings up water (brine) that needs to be disposed of, and some production processes like fracturing produce their own waste water as well. This water is taken to injection well or disposal well sites and put back in the ground.

Originally posted by krazy kris View Post
    You cant suck out all the lubricant from the earths plates and replace it with water and waste and not expect some friction.
    But to say that oil is a lubricant for Earth's crust is fundamentally incorrect, as is thinking "replacing" oil with water is the cause. It's a planet not bearings in a small block chevy. Injection wells can cause issues when the rock formation they are injecting into is not sufficiently porous to allow the liquids to move quickly, which builds pressure. A frac job builds pressure with fluids, but the whole purpose is to do the job then remove the pressure (ie. remove the water) to allow the oil/gas to flow. The issue with some injection wells is the building of pressure on an existing fault over a period of time without release. The best analogy I've heard is that it's like an air hockey table. In some locales a waste water injection well is effectively like turning on the table and making the puck easier to slide.

The DFW quakes will likely be linked back to an injection well on or near the Balcones Fault which runs under Irving.

But in the mean time misinformation will spread like wildfire and "fracking" will be the catch-all scapegoat for everyone's friends on Facebook.
    Last edited by Strychnine; 01-07-2015, 04:48 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Strychnine View Post
      It's a planet not bearings in a small block chevy.
      Lmfao
      Originally posted by davbrucas
      I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

• but Branwdo has electrolytes

Comment

• i love when Matt drop science....

god bless.
          It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

It's a planet not bearings in a small block chevy.
            lmfao!
            Originally posted by Silverback
            Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• its god punishing the people of irving for tearing down his football stadium

By Marice Richter DALLAS (Reuters) - Seismologists installed a new earthquake-monitoring device in the Dallas suburb of Irving this week after a series of minor tremblors rocked an area near the site of the former Dallas Cowboys football stadium. Irving was shaken by nine quakes on Tuesday and into Wednesday, including three measuring magnitude 3.6, 3.5, and 3.1, the U.S. Geological Survey said. The quakes were the strongest in a series of about 20 minor quakes to hit around the stadium area since September. Five smaller quakes registering between 1.6 and 2. ...

Comment

• Its kind of crazy to think that we (humans) have the ability to influence the movement of these massive and heavy plates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny46 View Post
                  Its kind of crazy to think that we (humans) have the ability to influence the movement of these massive and heavy plates.
                  Maybe it's fracking plus global warming?

Comment

• One more quick note on fracing and quakes...

There is very little fracing going on in the DFW area now, as compared to the recent past. If it is causing these earthquakes, then areas down in the Eagle Ford area would be rumbling off the grid, as well as the Permian Basin (Midland - Odessa) areas.

Also, the average depth for a fracing job in DFW is ~ 5 - 8 thousand feet. These quakes are happening [on average] 3+ miles deep into the earths crust. Nearly 3 times the depth.

David

Comment

Definitely - no matter what method is used to extract oil and gas this process almost always also brings up water (brine) that needs to be disposed of, and some production processes like fracturing produce their own waste water as well. This water is taken to injection well or disposal well sites and put back in the ground.

But to say that oil is a lubricant for Earth's crust is fundamentally incorrect, as is thinking "replacing" oil with water is the cause. It's a planet not bearings in a small block chevy. Injection wells can cause issues when the rock formation they are injecting into is not sufficiently porous to allow the liquids to move quickly, which builds pressure. A frac job builds pressure with fluids, but the whole purpose is to do the job then remove the pressure (ie. remove the water) to allow the oil/gas to flow. The issue with some injection wells is the building of pressure on an existing fault over a period of time without release. The best analogy I've heard is that it's like an air hockey table. In some locales a waste water injection well is effectively like turning on the table and making the puck easier to slide.

The DFW quakes will likely be linked back to an injection well on or near the Balcones Fault which runs under Irving.

But in the mean time misinformation will spread like wildfire and "fracking" will be the catch-all scapegoat for everyone's friends on Facebook.

What are your thoughts on the studies that have been done that "definitively link" injection wells to earthquakes? The most recent by the guy from UT.
                      Originally posted by BradM
                      But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                      Originally posted by Leah
                      In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

• Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                        What are your thoughts on the studies that have been done that "definitively link" injection wells to earthquakes? The most recent by the guy from UT.
                        Im of the opinion that you could "definitively link" thunderstorms to earthquakes if you were so inclined.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback
                          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

• Injection wells gave me the runny poops.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tremor14 View Post
                              lmao..

i was in a meeting and just happend to move chairs to flip plans with my boss, i sat down as soon as everyone was like WTF was that? and im all like "WUT"? then i looked up and say the projector shakin like a mofo. i slept through the northridge 6.6 and missed this one. I'll prolly freak the F out when i do feel one
                              The Northridge was the first one I ever felt. I was in San Diego on the 8th floor and it shook my heavy sleeping ass awake. Felt a bunch of big ones out there in southern Cali when I was stationed there. Biggest was a 7.8 in the desert about 3 months before I moved to DFW.

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Wiecked View Post
                                The Northridge was the first one I ever felt. I was in San Diego on the 8th floor and it shook my heavy sleeping ass awake. Felt a bunch of big ones out there in southern Cali when I was stationed there. Biggest was a 7.8 in the desert about 3 months before I moved to DFW.
                                I was at North Island when Northridge happened. We felt it.
                                Later that year, our squadron did a homeport change to Atsugi, Japan. First night there, we got woke up by what had to be one close to a 4. Not long after that, a 4 seemed barely noticeable.
                                "It is in truth not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself."

Comment

Working...
                                X