No announcement yet.

my daughter is dead set on a 55 f-100 for first car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll speak up for the hot rodders. My dad and I restored a 1966 Mustang Convertible starting when I was 14 and I got to drive it until High School ended. We ended up selling it because college was over 50 miles round trip and the Stang got roughly 9mpg. Same for my Brother, but he still has his and just bought a cheap beater.

Neither of us died.

My brother flipped his on it's side and rear ended an Expedition and survived without a scratch both times.

I knocked over a mailbox...

We took our cars to Oklahoma and Midland, which was pretty far for 16/17 year olds. It is possible to have old muscle cars (289's in both) and not kill yourself. Just keep the engines underpowered and keep the drums in good working condition.

Comment

Originally posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
      I'll speak up for the hot rodders. My dad and I restored a 1966 Mustang Convertible starting when I was 14 and I got to drive it until High School ended. We ended up selling it because college was over 50 miles round trip and the Stang got roughly 9mpg. Same for my Brother, but he still has his and just bought a cheap beater.

Neither of us died.

My brother flipped his on it's side and rear ended an Expedition and survived without a scratch both times.

We took our cars to Oklahoma and Midland, which was pretty far for 16/17 year olds. It is possible to have old muscle cars (289's in both) and not kill yourself. Just keep the engines underpowered and keep the drums in good working condition.
      How long ago were you 16/17 years old?
      Imprisoned inside this mind, hiding behind the empty smiles.....

Comment

My first car was a 65 Mustang and I survived. In fact, I did better than survive.

First of all, the car was my pride and joy and I drove very carefully to keep it that way.
        Second, it was underpowered relative to most cars these days. Strong enough to get out of the way, bit it wasn't a performance car by any stretch.
        Third, I knew I didn't have ABS/performance brakes so I drove very defensively.

This was in the early/mid-90's.

All of that said, it depends on the kid. Some are going to run out and test every boundary, some are going to be very careful (like myself).

Comment

my first was a turbo eagle talon, then a 94 z28, and look how i turned out

Comment

New vs old

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
              How long ago were you 16/17 years old?
              In the year 2000!!!!!

And I think my 289 with the 2bbl carburetor made a whopping 215 hp. My Ford Taurus has 268 hp.

Comment

There are two ways to think about it.

I had pride in my slow pos so i took care of it even if i did do some racing.

The people who where generally gave a shitbox treated it like a shitbox. Aka jumping railroad tracks, and anything you could think of.

No pride in what you have makes it disposable.

Comment

Neither of us died.

Anecdotal evidence is anecdotal. But yea, many of us had old cars and had the crap knocked out of them but we were still fine...

Originally posted by BLAKE View Post
                  My first car was a 65 Mustang and I survived. In fact, I did better than survive.

First of all, the car was my pride and joy and I drove very carefully to keep it that way.
                  Second, it was underpowered relative to most cars these days. Strong enough to get out of the way, bit it wasn't a performance car by any stretch.
                  Third, I knew I didn't have ABS/performance brakes so I drove very defensively.

This was in the early/mid-90's.

All of that said, it depends on the kid. Some are going to run out and test every boundary, some are going to be very careful (like myself).
                  That last line is extremely important..

But there is also this:

Of the roughly 2,500 teenagers who died during the span studied, 82 percent were driving cars that were over six years old. In fact, 48 percent of teens killed were driving cars that were more than 11 years old.

A majority of teen fatalities took place in smaller vehicles: 29 percent occurred in mini or small cars, while 23 percent took place in a mid-size car. Only 10 percent occurred in large pickups, and just nine percent took place in a mid-size SUV.

Of the 19,000 middle-aged drivers who died during the period studied, 77 percent were in cars more than six years old, and 46 percent took place in cars that were over 11 years old.

The vehicles in which those drivers rode, however, were a very mixed bag. For example, 20 percent were mini or small cars, 17 percent were large pickups, 16 percent were mid-size sedans, and 11 percent were mid-size SUVs.
                  Plain and simple, kids are more likely to die in an older car. The study backs up the common sense.

To the OP.. you're obviously doing your job. You've heard the arguments. Do what you think is best for your kid..

Comment

I will say, there was a helluva different in drivers in DFW 15-20 years ago. While I felt fine driving a fox, I'd be terrified to release my kids in anything short of a fullsize truck at this point.

Comment

In the year 2000!!!!!

And I think my 289 with the 2bbl carburetor made a whopping 215 hp. My Ford Taurus has 268 hp.
                      Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                      I will say, there was a helluva different in drivers in DFW 15-20 years ago. While I felt fine driving a fox, I'd be terrified to release my kids in anything short of a fullsize truck at this point.
                      This is what I was getting at by asking when you were 16-17, IHaveAMustang. When I was 16, there weren't as many people on the road, we didn't have iPhones and shit to distract us, and I think people generally drove a little slower. I just don't want anything to happen to my kid, so I'm on the fence about putting her in an older car/truck knowing how people drive these days. Of course, I will do my best to make sure she has plenty of driving experience and that she is responsible and doesn't drive like a complete asshole but there's only so much I can do.
                      Imprisoned inside this mind, hiding behind the empty smiles.....

Comment

Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                        There are two ways to think about it.

I had pride in my slow pos so i took care of it even if i did do some racing.

The people who where generally gave a shitbox treated it like a shitbox. Aka jumping railroad tracks, and anything you could think of.

No pride in what you have makes it disposable.
                        and with it being a girl, you have to think of her shithead boyfriend convincing her to let him drive it and he definitely doesnt give a shit.

Comment

Working...
                        X