No announcement yet.

Alive because this is Texas or........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alive because this is Texas or........

Really glad he made it out of this situation alive it was definitely sketchy since the cops wouldn't know who was who. Thoughts?

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2014/12/26/g...t-in-progress/

SOUTHLAKE (CBSDFW.COM) - A North Texas man is being heralded a hero after police said he held a man at gunpoint who was assaulting a woman.

The tense standoff broke out on Friday near the intersection of Carroll Avenue and Southlake Boulevard.

Witnesses reported seeing a man standing in the middle of the street pointing a gun straight at the passenger of a red vehicle with the door open.

“We expected crowds and long return lines, but we never expected to see that,” said Lindsey Bryant, who witnessed scene.

Bryant was traveling as a passenger in the car with her mother and daughter. Her sister Mistina Doland was next to her behind the wheel.

“It was intense not knowing whether bullets were going to start flying from either side of the street,” said Doland.

Seconds after the sisters dialed 911, police rolled up on the scene.

Investigators sorted out the situation and determined the man with the gun was actually trying to help.

Chief Steve Mylett with the Southlake Police Department said the man had just witnessed the driver of the red vehicle hitting his female passenger. Police arrested MacMichael Nwaiwu, 28, who is now in jail.

“It’s amazing that in this day in age that people are willing to reach out and help,” said Doland.

Chief Mylett released a statement writing in part:

“While we commend this citizen’s willingness to get involved in order to protect a victim of a crime, the Southlake Police Department does not encourage the public to expose themselves in such a manner.”

Police have not released the name of the man many are calling a good Samaritan.

Bryant and her sister said whoever the mystery man is deserves thanks.

“I hope more people see this and are willing to go the extra mile for someone who like this woman, didn’t have a voice and couldn’t speak up for herself,” said Bryant.

The Tarrant County District Attorney’s Office does not believe the witness with a gun broke any state laws.

I was wondering when this incident would find its way to the board. I kept meaning to post it.

You pull a gun on someone and plan on waiting around for the police, all the while having the gun out, you better have a cell phone in your other hand on the phone with 911 giving your description over and over as the good samaritan.

I read another article that ended sounding more like the DA was still looking to see if the good guy with the gun broke any laws.
    Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Unless he was carrying without a license (which isn't even an issue if he had previously been in his vehicle), or was intoxicated, or was a felon, I don't see how he would have broken any laws. Texas handgun laws state it is ok to pull your weapon if you fear yours or anyone else's life is in danger.

Also, good on the responding cops for reacting in a reasonable manner and giving the man with a gun a chance to lay it down so they could sort it all out. Too many stories lately of the cops shooting first and asking questions later and I am glad this is not one of them. The Tarrant County DA also sounds like a reasonable office in that they were apparently able to figure out pretty quick that all was kosher with the guy's actions.
      I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
        Unless he was carrying without a license (which isn't even an issue if he had previously been in his vehicle), or was intoxicated, or was a felon, I don't see how he would have broken any laws. Texas handgun laws state it is ok to pull your weapon if you fear yours or anyone else's life is in danger.
        You can blow them away for it. If its ok to pull, its ok to shoot as per tx law. Witnessing a robbery, witnessing a rape, witnessing a murder, and a few others are all a valid shoot. Its in the official handbook given out by the state
        WH

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
          You can blow them away for it. If its ok to pull, its ok to shoot as per tx law. Witnessing a robbery, witnessing a rape, witnessing a murder, and a few others are all a valid shoot. Its in the official handbook given out by the state
          You can still be sued in a civil court regardless if it's a "good shoot".

Plus, unless you're just itching to shoot and kill someone, you have to walk around with that on your conscience.
          Imprisoned inside this mind, hiding behind the empty smiles.....

Comment

Very interesting scenario. As stated above standing in the middle of a busy road in Texas with your weapon pointed at a vehicle is sketchy given LEO perception and ANOTHER good Samaritan thinking a carjacking is going on. Definitely something to think about.

Comment

Def could have been a negative outcome and been much different
              GOD BLESS TEXAS
              August Landscaping
              214-779-7278
              Seb's high class.
              He'll mow your grass.
              He'll kick your ass.
              And while his kidney stones pass,
              He'll piss in a glass!

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

Plus, unless you're just itching to shoot and kill someone, you have to walk around with that on your conscience.
                Per Castle Doctrine, if the shooting was in response to a crime being committed and you are found to be in the clear, you are also unable to be held liable in civil court.
                Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                dont downshift!!
                Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post

If you are cleared criminally,they can try to sue you, but chances are no attorney will take the case because the judge will just throw it out as soon as you get there.

You don't have protection from being sued, you can sue anyone for anything no matter what. But in Texas you are protected from "losing" the civil case.
                  Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                  It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Gasser64 View Post
                    You can but it's not always a good idea, what about the lady he was beating? When he first pulled his gun he was on top of her, which put her in danger of being hit with a stray round. And once he moved off of her he was no longer a danger to anyone, if he would have shot him then he would still be locked up right now.

IMO he did a good job, after the guy was being cooperative he started de-escalating the situation ie: lowering his voice from yelling, finger off the trigger, gun in retention vs extended.
                    Originally posted by Theodore Roosevelt
                    It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming...

Comment

True, but personally I wouldn't take the shot unless it was clear to me that I would hit. I certainly wouldn't want to hit anyone I wasnt aiming at
                      WH

Comment

Originally posted by dangerous_sep View Post
                        “While we commend this citizen’s willingness to get involved in order to protect a victim of a crime, the Southlake Police Department does not encourage the public to expose themselves in such a manner.”
                        Although I find this statement funny, this is the exact scenario that can kick you in the butt. Bubba beats the hell out of his woman, you try to help and then she turns and says she LOVES Bubba and they were just having a minor disagreement.

However, at the same time you have to use your judgement and most times the police are just going to be too late.
                        Originally posted by MR EDD
                        U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

Just beat the hell out of bubba and quickly go on your way. Give em a real world class beat down. lol not really though, i dont have much sympathy for a woman who is stupid enough to stay in such a relationship
                          WH

Comment

Working...
                          X