Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Nazi SS officer burried in Arlington National Cemetary

Lauri Törni.

This dude hated communism. Like really fucking hated it. So what did he do? In Finland he fought and killed the shit out of Soviets during the Winter War but that wasn't enough. After its conclusion, he went to Austria for 7 weeks to undertake training with the Waffen SS where he became a Lieutenant.

Törni's unit inflicted such heavy casualties on Russian units that the Soviet Army placed a bounty on his head of 3,000,000 Finnish marks.

In January 1945 he was essentially unemployed but left for saboteur training in Germany to organize resistance in case Finland was occupied by the Soviet Union. Did I mention this dude hated communism? Törni could not secure transportation back to Finland & joined a German unit to fight Soviet troops near Schwerin, Germany. He surrendered to American and British troops in the last stages of World War II and eventually returned to Finland in June 1945.

Dude made his way to South America and stowed away on a Swedish ship heading to the USA. While in the Gulf of Mexico, near Mobile, Alabama, Törni jumped overboard and swam to shore. Now a political refugee.

Törni joined the US army in 1954 where he was taught skiing, survival, mountaineering, and guerrilla tactics. He later received a regular commission and a promotion to captain in 1960. So this dude really still hated communism, so naturally when Vietnam came up he was stoked to fight against some rice-communism.

Deploying to South Vietnam in November 1963 to support South Vietnamese forces in the Vietnam War, Thorne and Special Forces Detachment A-734 were stationed in the Tịnh Biên District and assigned to operate Civilian Irregular Defense Group (CIDG) encampments at Châu Lăng and later Tịnh Biên. During a fierce attack on the CIDG camp in Tịnh Biên, he received two Purple Hearts and a Bronze Star Medal for valor during the battle. This attack would later be described by author Robin Moore in his book The Green Berets.

Thorne's second tour in Vietnam began in February 1965 with 5th Special Forces Group; he then transferred to Military Assistance Command, Vietnam – Studies and Observations Group (MACV–SOG), a classified U.S. special operations unit focusing on unconventional warfare in Vietnam, as a military advisor.

On 18 October 1965, he was supervising a clandestine mission during which his Vietnam Air Force CH-34 helicopter crashed in a mountainous area of Phước Sơn District, Quảng Nam Province, Vietnam, 25 miles (40 km) from Da Nang.vRescue teams were unable to locate the crash site. Shortly after his disappearance, Thorne was promoted to the rank of major.
    In 1999, Thorne's remains were found by a Finnish and Joint Task Force-Full Accounting team[nb 3] and repatriated to the United States following a Hanoi Noi Bai International Airport ceremony that included Secretary of State Madeleine Albright and Ambassador Pete Peterson.

Formally identified in 2003, his remains were buried on 26 June 2003 at Arlington National Cemetery, section 60, tombstone 8136, along with the Vietnam casualties of the mission recovered at the crash site.

Get all the information you need at first hand. Self reviewed and self written. Real experts report on arlingtoncemetery.net

Fought under three flags:

And killed a bunch of commies for us in 'Nam. He is on the left:

Buried at Arlington in 2003:

Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Respect, bad mofo for sure.
    sigpic🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Without my gun hobby. I would cut off my own dick and let the rats eat it...
    🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄🐄

Comment

So did he change his name to Thorne after getting to the states?
      "It's another burrito, it's a cold Lone Star in my hand!"

Comment

Originally posted by dee View Post
        So did he change his name to Thorne after getting to the states?
        Larry Alan Thorne
        Originally posted by lincolnboy
        After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

Comment

Bad ass story, thanks for sharing Alex!

Oh, and I think I read somewhere where he hated communism!

David

Comment

Sound like a cool guy

Comment

Not sure how I feel about him being buried in Arlington. Are they 100% sure he was not directly involved in the Holocaust being that he was in the SS? We aren't talking just a regular German troop here. Sure seems like there is a high chance he was involved in more than that story let on. The SS weren't exactly known for being the Nazis who weren't involved in the camps.
              I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Hat is off to him, makes you wonder what happened to a man that driven.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                  Not sure how I feel about him being buried in Arlington. Are they 100% sure he was not directly involved in the Holocaust being that he was in the SS? We aren't talking just a regular German troop here. Sure seems like there is a high chance he was involved in more than that story let on. The SS weren't exactly known for being the Nazis who weren't involved in the camps.
                  sometimes you stay alive through really bad shit so that you can accomplish a hell of a lot more good shit
                  http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                    sometimes you stay alive through really bad shit so that you can accomplish a hell of a lot more good shit
                    This needs a motha fuckin like button.

Comment

Working...
                    X