Disability vehicles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disability vehicles

I need to start looking for a van that is equipped for a disabled person. My wife went up to Toyota and test drove a Sienna. It was pretty badass for what it was. The chair literally turns and comes out of the side door to the ground, allowing her grandmother to just sit on it and lift her back in. The price is just way too far out there for my liking and I just don't think its worth it. They wanted 45k for a brand new one and I couldn't justify that, especially with her grandmother being 85 years old. No telling how much longer she has.

Any of you guys have any recommendations or past experience with this situation. She just refuses to get into our Expedition and the local company that picks her up for her appointments is unreliable and won't take her to anything but her doc appointments and the senior center.

TIA

Pretty sure the price delta is tax deductible. My dad was wheelchair bound and my parents were able to take some tax deduction or credit.
    Originally posted by davbrucas
    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
      Pretty sure the price delta is tax deductible. My dad was wheelchair bound and my parents were able to take some tax deduction or credit.
      At this point, I think I am going to have to go with a used one. I am just not finding a good way to search for these things. I really liked the seat coming out and Toyota calls that their "mobility" package. My google skills must suck because its been tough finding them.

Comment

There's a "disability equipped" search option on Autotrader ... but yeah, I only saw 10 within 75 miles of my zip.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I guess if she can roll her ass up with her scooter into the back of a van, that would work too. I see all these side entrance ramps but not sure if that means she sits in the scooter and there are anchors to latch it down with her in it.

Comment

So you're looking for a car she can easily get in/out of or one she could drive?

Comment

She can't drive.

I'm looking for a car that she can be lifted into or let her drive her scooter up into.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                I guess if she can roll her ass up with her scooter into the back of a van, that would work too. I see all these side entrance ramps but not sure if that means she sits in the scooter and there are anchors to latch it down with her in it.
                The big choice around here (somehow I have 3 wheelchair bound friends in this town) is the Braun Entervan. Why that company chose a Dodge Caravan as a base model I'll never know. Talk about rolling the dice with a loved one's safety!

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
                She can't drive.

I'm looking for a car that she can be lifted into or let her drive her scooter up into.
                Sheeit! That makes it way easier! You're a minivan, and a ramp away. Just yank the center row of seats, dude.
                Last edited by YALE; 10-08-2014, 12:28 AM. Reason: I would fuck up a rock fight.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

craigslist

Comment

I am a bit of an ass, but if you need me to take you somewhere but you refuse to get into my vehicle, then I guess you aren't going anywhere. Unless she can't get out of the wheelchair and weighs 450lbs, there is no reason she can't be helped into the car unless maybe you have a huge offroading lift on it or something. Now my grandmother did have trouble with trucks and suvs at the end of her life, which we all owned, but she solved that herself by not driving, but owning her own vehicle she could easily get into that we would drive for her when needed. I say she wants a mini van, she buys the damn thing.

Fwiw, my grandmother had alot of health issues in the last 5 - 10 years, ignored the doctors, drank like a sailor, and lived to be 93 so there could easily be another decade left.
                    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

m old boss had a disabled son. he had the toyota van you are talking about. i think i was like a custom conversion by Braun or something. hope thats a little helpful.

i found this while verifying it was in fact Braun www.amsvans.com

god bless.
                      It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
                        The big choice around here (somehow I have 3 wheelchair bound friends in this town) is the Braun Entervan. Why that company chose a Dodge Caravan as a base model I'll never know. Talk about rolling the dice with a loved one's safety!

Sheeit! That makes it way easier! You're a minivan, and a ramp away. Just yank the center row of seats, dude.
                        I saw that Braun site and thought the exact same thing. There's other places I see using other manufacturers so hopefully something shows up.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
                          I am a bit of an ass, but if you need me to take you somewhere but you refuse to get into my vehicle, then I guess you aren't going anywhere. Unless she can't get out of the wheelchair and weighs 450lbs, there is no reason she can't be helped into the car unless maybe you have a huge offroading lift on it or something. Now my grandmother did have trouble with trucks and suvs at the end of her life, which we all owned, but she solved that herself by not driving, but owning her own vehicle she could easily get into that we would drive for her when needed. I say she wants a mini van, she buys the damn thing.

Fwiw, my grandmother had alot of health issues in the last 5 - 10 years, ignored the doctors, drank like a sailor, and lived to be 93 so there could easily be another decade left.
                          This is on her dime. We have to do the shopping. We have gone 5 months with her living with us and she has used our vehicle 3 times. She made it a huge ordeal every time.

Comment

Have you looked at what medicaid offers? You pay taxes, get some back.

Or if you live somewhere serviced by a major mass transit system you can probably get a modified bus to haul her around for almost nothing. I used to work with a lady that was wheelchair bound and she'd get completely wasted and used the T as a cab service. Her husband would call for a ride and they'd be there in 30 minutes.

Comment

Working...
                            X