No announcement yet.

New Auto down payment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As much as you can comfortably put down.
    WRX

Comment

Put down $0 and get gap insurance.

Comment

It seems this has become a little different in recent years....I had always been of the impression that putting more down would net you a lower interest rate in the end. However when I bought my F150 last year, I had secured my own financing through my CU, and I was planning to put $25K down (little over $40K price tag), yet the finance guy was highly encouraging me to "save my money" and put less down....claiming he could beat the rate if I did.

I completely declined it, made him understand that a lower payment wasn't my goal, but paying it off earlier was. He did still come back with a better rate, so I did go with their financing, but still had to fend him off on all of the add-on crap....including gap ins. Maybe gap was his angle for trying to get me to put less down?....I dunno.

This was crooked assed GVF too, so who knows.
        70' Chevelle RagTop
        (Forever Under Construction)

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.”- Thomas A Edison

Comment

Originally posted by Rreemo View Post
          It seems this has become a little different in recent years....I had always been of the impression that putting more down would net you a lower interest rate in the end. However when I bought my F150 last year, I had secured my own financing through my CU, and I was planning to put $25K down (little over $40K price tag), yet the finance guy was highly encouraging me to "save my money" and put less down....claiming he could beat the rate if I did.

I completely declined it, made him understand that a lower payment wasn't my goal, but paying it off earlier was. He did still come back with a better rate, so I did go with their financing, but still had to fend him off on all of the add-on crap....including gap ins. Maybe gap was his angle for trying to get me to put less down?....I dunno.

This was crooked assed GVF too, so who knows.
          Most lenders give an extra discount if the loan amount is over a certain threshold, say $30, 000 or so. Sure he gets paid for more loan amount, but you would've benefitted as well. Nothing stops you from making a $25k first payment.

As for the extra products, they are high margin, and where most of the commission for the dealer comes from.
          Last edited by sc281; 10-01-2014, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sc281 View Post
            Most lenders give an extra discount if the loan amount is over a certain threshold, say $30, 000 or so. Sure he gets paid for more loan amount, but you would've benefitted as well. Nothing stops you from making a $25k first payment.
            Sounds complicated and unnecessary. Just take out a $5k loan and put $25k down. How longs it gonna take to pay $5k off? You'll eat pennies in interest no matter what the rate is. Most people wouldn't hold themselves to the $25k payoff and would pay on that car for eternity. Especially $45k...
            2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
              Sounds complicated and unnecessary. Just take out a $5k loan and put $25k down. How longs it gonna take to pay $5k off? You'll eat pennies in interest no matter what the rate is. Most people wouldn't hold themselves to the $25k payoff and would pay on that car for eternity. Especially $45k...
              I was providing a rationale to explain what the finance guy was doing. He was thinking gap was the reason, and I explained that it was simpler than that.

And his loan amount was $15k, so that .50% or whatever saved would've been a couple hundred dollars over the life of the loan. Not a lot, but not pennies.

The $30k number in the post refers to the lender's discount threshold, not the vehicle sales price.
              Last edited by sc281; 10-01-2014, 05:30 PM.

Comment

I put down half.

Comment

Oddly enough, I got a better rate through a bank than my credit Union . It also has to do with which credit report they use .

Comment

45k car!! Chooo choo motha freaka. Where would you like your payments
                    Sir? 48k probably gonna be in the 960s with no down payment

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
                      Randolph Brooks, not local but I am sure you can get it done if I can get a home refinance done not living anywhere close to them.

Print
                      Auto/Truck
                      Model Year Months Rates (APR%*) Payment per $
                      1909 - 2014
                      " 24 1.650 12.990 42.39 47.54
                      " 36 1.650 12.990 28.49 33.69
                      " 48 1.650 12.990 21.54 26.82
                      " 60 1.650 12.990 17.38 22.75
                      " 66 1.650 12.990 15.86 21.28
                      " 72 1.990 13.990 14.75 20.60
                      " 84 4.750 15.750 14.02 19.72

There are two locations in the Dallas area, one in Plano and other in Frisco. Link below shows locations
                      https://www.rbfcu.org/BranchMaps/bra...&currentPage=1

Plano - 1801 Dallas Prkwy next to Cosco
                      Frisco - 4040 Preston Rd. in front of Acedemy

Cant beat 1.65%!!

FYI - They are all over SA, and Austin and they want to expand a lot in the Dallas area

Comment

Is it a Raptor?
                        1971 Ford Torino - Time to go bigger and better.

2011 F150 Limited - Stock with a 6.2

Comment

Depends on the situation. I put as little down as possible - with rates this low, a down payment doesn't make sense for me.
                          Originally posted by davbrucas
                          I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Shop that rate. I bought my '11 5.0 used in March. I secured a good rate through a CU and it took only one "my CU is better" for him (finance guy) to get it down 2 points. I put 10% down and that knocked it down another 3 points. I got 2.89% over 48 months on a used car. Shop it, ask what is needed for a down payment to affect the rate beforehand and use it as leverage.
                            Originally posted by PGreenCobra
                            I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
                            Originally posted by Trip McNeely
                            Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
                            dont downshift!!
                            Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

Originally posted by 94form2000z View Post
                              Randolph Brooks, not local but I am sure you can get it done if I can get a home refinance done not living anywhere close to them.
                              RBFCU is great. I bank with United Heritage C.U. out of Austin, formerly Bergstrom Federal Credit Union (Bergstrom A.F.B, which is now Austin-Bergstrom Int'l Airport). They compete on customers and rates all the time. UHCU has residency restrictions, but there is one branch in Tyler, if anyone is close to the area. A quick glance at their page shows "rates as low as 1.7%" with "up to 3 months no payments."

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                                45k car!! Chooo choo motha freaka. Where would you like your payments
                                Sir? 48k probably gonna be in the 960s with no down payment
                                960!?! Good Lord, what is wrong with people?

Comment

Working...
                                X