Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford bringing back the GT40 for competition?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford bringing back the GT40 for competition?

This would be awesome.

Ever get the feeling that there are just too many Ferraris in endurance racing nowadays? Lonely Ferraris? You know, without Fords tinkling in their tortellini? Well, then today is your lucky day: Road & Track reports that Ford may be coming back to Le Mans with a new factory Ford GT program in 2016. Holy. Crap.

Why 2016? It coincides with the 50th anniversary of Ford's victory at Le Mans with the Ford GT40 Mark II, so it would be the perfect opportunity to take the fight to the Corvette and Ferrari in France.

It that doesn't fill you with feelings of patriotism, joy and 'Murica, I don't know what will. Who doesn't like the GT40 and its various descendents throughout the years? Terrorists, that's who. People who hate freedom and our very way of life. Oh, and Italians. Them, too. So, prepare your lasagna-holes, Ferrari. Hide yo' wife, hide yo' schnitzel, Porsche. And Aston Martin, it's time for a tea break.

Ford's return to Le Mans has been floating around the rumor mill for a while, but with nothing quite this awesome on the table. First, there was talk of a GTE Mustang program, and then, a P2 prototype. While those would likely produce a V8 roar so glorious that it would make bald eagles shed a single, proud tear, neither have quite the history of ruining Enzo Ferrari's day.

But now, even though the Mustang GTE program was nixed, R&T's Marshal Pruett reports that a representative with Ford was in attendance at the GTE constructors' meetings at Circuit of the Americas regarding the 2016 rules for the class.

Publicly, Ford Racing head Jamie Allison says that they're focused on their partnerships with existing teams as well as their Daytona Prototype cars in the Tudor United SportsCar series, but sources point to Canadian builders Multimatic as a likely partner for the GTE Ford GT entry.

The best part of all of this? The launch of a new Ford GT 24 Hours of Le Mans entry would most likely coincide with a new production car version. Road & Track lists the 2016 Detroit Auto Show as the car's likely debut.

If this is all true, this is fantastic, fantastic news and a sign that Ford really wants to kick Ferrari — and Corvette's ass at their own game.

Like!

Comment

I still think the original GT40's, and their newer counterpart the GT are some of the best looking cars ever made. Too bad GT's are still going for 250k or more.

Comment

Maybe this will bring back the GT pricing back to reality.

Comment

Absolutely my favorite Ford vehicle! Looking forward to them bringing this back for LeMans.

Comment

Originally posted by A_A_G View Post
            Maybe this will bring back the GT pricing back to reality.
            Yeah, because the market for limited production, beautiful, high performance cars trends downward over time. Keep dreaming.

Can't wait to see it. I like the idea of bringing an international ass-kicker to market every decade or so.
            When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Kick ass, but to those that don't make real Choo-Choo money, the 11-12 GT500 have almost the same mill and a fraction of the cost.
              Originally posted by Silverback
              Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

A DI, twin turbo, 5.0 would be tits!

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
                  Yeah, because the market for limited production, beautiful, high performance cars trends downward over time. Keep dreaming.

Can't wait to see it. I like the idea of bringing an international ass-kicker to market every decade or so.
                  Dream crusher!

Comment

Originally posted by racrguy View Post
                    I still think the original GT40's, and their newer counterpart the GT are some of the best looking cars ever made. Too bad GT's are still going for 250k or more.
                    x2
                    They've only gone up in price since the left the assembly line. I need to somehow get one before they go all GT40 on us in price.
                    Originally posted by Buzzo
                    Some dudes jump out of airplanes, I fuck hookers without condoms.

sigpic

Comment

'cause I'm proud to be an a'murican, where at least I have my speed,
                      And I won't forget that Dale Sr died, or the horsepower Ford gave me,
                      And I gladly strap in, to a Redcaro, and haul ass all day,
                      'Cause there ain't no doubt I love a checkered flag,
                      God bless...... the....... G... T... 40

Comment

If they do, they better find some damn good drivers. Bean counters don't fund losers.
                        "We, the people, are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts - not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by crapstang View Post
                          x2
                          They've only gone up in price since the left the assembly line. I need to somehow get one before they go all GT40 on us in price.
                          Sell all the things?
                          ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Working...
                          X