Charter Internet....Who has it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charter Internet....Who has it?

So I'm looking in to getting an affordable ISP for the house so that I don't always have to use my laptop and air card. Plus I can set it up to download Netflix through my Wii. My problem is I'm in an area where only a few companies offer service. AT&T being one and Charter being the other. I've had AT&T before was not real happy with it. I was constantly dropping service. After a bad experience with Charter years ago I swore I would never do business with them again. However, since my options are limited I figured I would entertain the idea.

I was looking at their $19.99 that has a speed of 1.0Mbps. Does anyone here have this package? How do you like it? Have you tried downloading Netflix with it? I'm worried that it will be too slow for this kind of usage. They wanted me to upgrade to their 12.0Mbps but that is $55 a month and I told them I was not ready to spend that kind of money with them yet given my experiences with them in the past.

Any other thoughts or suggestions please discuss.

you will need atleast a 3-5mbps advertised speed with charter, or any other cable company for that matter, to use Netflix without wanting to stab kittens.

With that said, cable internet has gotten better over the years. I use Time Warner and for $5 less per month as AT&T's 1.5mbps I get 7mbps with their powerboost to when you start downloading large files.

Edit: just looked and it seems they have a special on the 12Mbps for 29.99 a month.
    Last edited by Jewrrick; 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM.
    QuestionableContent-Awesome Webcomic

Comment

Travis just get ATT wireless and be done with it. Its cheap dont worry.

Comment

I had charter about a year ago and their customer service was really good, and I never had an issue with their Internet service. I guess they finally listened to all the people that had bitched about it in the past.

My house now only has at&t dsl, and it is horrible, constant disconnects and it is $45 for 6mb. If I had a choice it would be charter all the way.

Btw: when I had service through them they will offer a one year promo, and then it goes back to the regular rate. The csr I delt with said to call back after a year and threaten to leave and they will sign you up for what ever the current promo they have.

Comment

Charter's customer service is getting better. More importantly their web service is getting MUCH better. A few years ago I was cursing their name. Now I've got a 25mbps connection that is usually up to snuff. They are steadily upgrading to DOCSIS 3.0 which will give much better reliability and speeds around 60mbps.

Netflix has started releasing reports to show which ISPs were doing giving the best bandwidth with their service. Charter was the highest rated.

Comment

Used to HATE them due to horrible customer service on the phone and in person, but they've honestly done a remarkable turn around. I'd say spend the extra cash, especially if netflix will be used often. It's just worth it and they won't disappoint you
            Originally posted by Vertnut
            I'd run my junk through a waffle iron, if it makes you more "comfortable". LOL!

Comment

I have had charter for 4 years now with no problems, and also do Netflix with my Wii. Also customer servicre has improved alot in the last year.

Comment

I've had Charter since 2004 and get a 1-2 outages a year.

I pay about $55/month after taxes and get about 16mbps down and 1.05 mpbs up.

I wished I could upload at 5mbps though.

Comment

i use charter and have been getting problems here lately with a drop connection. It last about 30 secs or so. They have came out twice to try and fix it. Before I never had any problems with them. It kinda of suck when playing on xbox live or watching netflix sometimes. But I will stick with them. If the problem keeps happening I will just keep calling. lol

Comment

Originally posted by 03trubluGT View Post
                    I've had Charter since 2004 and get a 1-2 outages a year.

Yea, that's about what I'm seeing now. It used to be 5 to 10 outages a month but they've gotten VASTLY better in the last two years....

I'm paying about $70 a months for 25Mbps downloading but I've noticed that sometimes it is as fast as 30Mbps. Today it is around 15Mbps but that's good considering everyone is home due to the snow..

Comment

Working...
                    X