Humidity in a shed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Humidity in a shed

I have an 8' X 12' shed that is my work shop. Typical wooden construction with louvered vents on the eaves, and 2 windows. No leaks in the roof, or walls - even after a blinding storm, it's all dry in the shed.

I've noticed that tools, paint cans & other steel things are rusting the shed. I had these same items in my garage for 20 years with no rust. I typically leave the windows open in the shed from June through September.

Why would these things rust more a shed than in a garage? Do I need to a roof turbine to get humidity out of the shed, or will that make it worse?

I do have a pool about 20 ft away.

Do you store any of the pool chemicals in there?

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
      I have an 8' X 12' shed that is my work shop. Typical wooden construction with louvered vents on the eaves, and 2 windows. No leaks in the roof, or walls - even after a blinding storm, it's all dry in the shed.

I've noticed that tools, paint cans & other steel things are rusting the shed. I had these same items in my garage for 20 years with no rust. I typically leave the windows open in the shed from June through September.

Why would these things rust more a shed than in a garage? Do I need to a roof turbine to get humidity out of the shed, or will that make it worse?

I do have a pool about 20 ft away.
      Just a guess here, usually it is dry during our summers but this one has been very wet. I think you'd see more condensation on those tools in the morning, and thus rust.

Comment

Buy a dehumidifier. I have one in my gun room that I wouldn't take for.
        I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
          Buy a dehumidifier. I have one in my gun room that I wouldn't take for.
          Right. They don't use much electricity and most are rated for treating an area larger than what you need.

Comment

[QUOTE=NoClassic;1367059]Do you store any of the pool chemicals in there?[/QUOTE

Comment

Originally posted by NoClassic View Post
              Do you store any of the pool chemicals in there?
              Yes I store pool chemicals out there- does those cause rust? It's sealed tight

Comment

Chlorene(sp) will make shit rust quick.

Comment

yes, that is your problem. Chlorine is an oxidizer.
                  Originally posted by Ted View Post
                  Chlorene(sp) will make shit rust quick.
                  truth.
                  "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Just move all the chemicals to a plastic container you can leave outside near the pumps/filters or somewhere with a good bit of airflow.

Comment

x2 on pool supplies. I had a 40lb bucket of chlorine pills in my shed. The lid got a crack in it. By the time I realized it, the spokes were completely rusted out of a bicycle in there and anything metal was rusted up.

Comment

chlorine will rust anything and everything...at my job our chlorine gas has rusted the stainless steel tables and oxidized/rusted the aluminum door handles on all the doors

Comment

Working...
                        X