American education system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American education system

How do you feel about our education system?

MY thoughts are as follows:

-I think a 4 year degree is pushed too hard. Community colleges and trade schools need to be pushed more because those are skills we need. It's a societal pressure that I really hate.

-American high schools are to focused on making everyone the same. I was lucky at my school to have opportunities that I know most don't get a chance to have. If a kid doesn't want to be a scholar...let him learn to weld early. Or carpentry.

-college is way too expensive

There's a lot more complaints I will think of later.

I would pay and extra .5% tax to have all college coverd for kids that actually try. But it would have to be a true non profit, no sports, career focused school. And if you fail enough...you're out.

it's a racket for the most part IMO

it can certainly be taken advantage of and utilized by many people, but it takes advantage of and utilizes the lion's share of those in it.
    http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Doesn't exist just a giant babysitting school

Comment

I agree that more training in skilled trades needs to start at high school. I also think a little training in being a decent citizen wouldn't hurt, and while we're at it, personal finance training.
        ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

It's all about the money. College forces you to take the core bullshit and electives that have absolutely no bearing on what you want to study. College needs to be like a trade school, you pick what you want to be and they teach you how to be that. It would take less time and more career specific information would be retained.

Comment

Originally posted by JC316 View Post
            It's all about the money. College forces you to take the core bullshit and electives that have absolutely no bearing on what you want to study. College needs to be like a trade school, you pick what you want to be and they teach you how to be that. It would take less time and more career specific information would be retained.
            There are a number of colleges now a days doing just that.

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
              personal finance training.
              All the way. They make us take years of spanish but not how to file fucking taxes.

Comment

The American education system is absolutely dysfunctional. No one is getting a meaningful education and the costs are out of control. It needs to be completely wiped out and built back from scratch.
                When the government pays, the government controls.

Comment

Originally posted by TeeShock View Post
                  All the way. They make us take years of spanish but not how to file fucking taxes.
                  The worst part is, I don't even think that's intentional. I think far more bad governance comes from indifference and willful ignorance, and the public education system is the perfect example of that. I could almost respect it if it were a legitimate hustle.
                  ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

So maybe I don't know what the Civil War was, or who invented the helicopter, even though I own one, but I did beat The Legend of Zelda before I could walk.
                    Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                    HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

I agree fully that the Bullshit classes in college just to get 120-150 hours for a major should be removed. I didn't need to take a fine art, literature or history to do my job. This could save an entire year of schooling for the same quality of education.

Comment

Complete and total failure.

I do think they are trying to emphasize skilled trades more, now. At least, that's what I see with my involvement with ProStart.
                        Originally posted by BradM
                        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                        Originally posted by Leah
                        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

4 yr degrees are great but you can make good money also in a trade. I also thing alot of these schools are a ripoff. Whatever it is you do just make sure your not miserable doing it

Comment

They teach kids to pass the state mandated testing, so the schools can acquire funding.

Each school district is different though. My daughters transfered from Keller ISD to Northwest this year. There has been a huge difference in the amount of homework each has had this year. Hell, one didn't have a single homework assignment through the entire term last year. It's pathetic.

Comment

Originally posted by QIK46 View Post
                              4 yr degrees are great but you can make good money also in a trade. I also thing alot of these schools are a ripoff. Whatever it is you do just make sure your not miserable doing it
                              Truth.

Comment

Working...
                              X