buying property with delinquent taxes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buying property with delinquent taxes

so where i live, there is a lot in between us and another house (lot is .25 acre but narrow) this lot would be perfect to build my shop on. really, only I and the other homeowner would even have any interest in this property. here's the problem. the owner is deceased since 1994 and taxes are behind by 20 years. now, its only about 600-1000 bucks to pay it off, but how can we legally go about aquiring the land? we talked to the tax office and they gave us his last knpwn information but that was about it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Originally posted by tribaltalon View Post
    so where i live, there is a lot in between us and another house (lot is .25 acre but narrow) this lot would be perfect to build my shop on. really, only I and the other homeowner would even have any interest in this property. here's the problem. the owner is deceased since 1994 and taxes are behind by 20 years. now, its only about 600-1000 bucks to pay it off, but how can we legally go about aquiring the land? we talked to the tax office and they gave us his last knpwn information but that was about it.
    You either wait until the property is foreclosed on and sold at auction for the back taxes, and make a bid.. Or try and track down the next of kin to the deceased owner and offer to buy it. May need to get a PI to track down the next of kin.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
      You either wait until the property is foreclosed on and sold at auction for the back taxes, and make a bid.. Or try and track down the next of kin to the deceased owner and offer to buy it. May need to get a PI to track down the next of kin.
      Yup...sheriff's sale or track down legal owner(from deceased estate) and make an offer.

Comment

I'm surprised they've let it go on for so long.. I guess just because it's such a small amount owed.

Comment

File for Adverse possession, maintain the property and pay the back taxes. After a set amount of time doing this the land will be legally yours.
          Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

man that adverse possession seems like a PITA. we've already done some sleuthing and the trail seems to end with his wife that died in 2012 so that might have to be the route we go. Thanks for the advice
            http://www.amazon.com/Viralution-Don...don+kehlenbeck

www.facebook.com/TheViralution

Comment

I think the AP process might be a good way to go in this case... pay the taxes, clean it up and maintain it, then file a lien against it for your cost of taxes/repairs/maintenance and viola!! If nobody contests it (within a few years), it's yours... if they want it back, they simply pay off the lien and you get your expenses back.

Not sure what happens if you out a building on it though.

mardyn
              Last edited by mardyn; 09-17-2014, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Go AP. I bet their kids don't even know about it, and they'd have to produce documents proving it anyway. A title company would be your best bet for finding out who owns it. Title fees are regulated by the state, and they're pretty cheap. Definitely a cheaper option than hiring a PI.
                ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
                  I think the AP process might be a good way to go in this case... pay the taxes, clean it up and maintain it, then file a lien against it for your cost of taxes/repairs/maintenance and viola!! If nobody contests it (within a few years), it's yours... if they want it back, they simply pay off the lien and you get your expenses back.

Not sure what happens if you out a building on it though.

mardyn
                  We had a borrower do that with a marina and he didn't know about the buyback clause and he was out quite a bit of $$$ on improvements.

Comment

Yeah... I think you would want to make sure it had your name on the title before building anything of consequence on it.

You might be able to build on it, and then put another lien against the building to protect yourself... but I believe before I got that far along, I'd have a real estate attorney advising me on the process just to be sure.

mardyn

Comment

Buying Property with taxes due

I asked a friend who is an Escrow Officer with a title company about buying under those conditions. She said try to find a relative. If there is no will, you will have to get heirship affidavits proving that they in fact are the surviving relative. Also, if there is a utility easement on the land, you may be out of luck unless the utility company will abandon the easement. Also, the tax office should be able to tell you where they are mailing the tax notices. Go to a good title company and they can help you. She said be careful of easements and do not build anything until you have clear title to the land. Wonder if there is a pipeline under the land ?

Comment

subscribe
                        WH

Comment

subscribing also. Is this a joke? I have never heard of this.
                          class joke
                          {
                          private:
                          char Forrest, Jenny, Momma, LtDan;
                          double Peas, Carrots;
                          string MommaAlwaysSaid(const bool AddAnyTime = True)
                          };

Comment

Originally posted by TexasDevilDog View Post
                            subscribing also. Is this a joke? I have never heard of this.
                            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Whatever happened with this. Requesting an update. I have a piece of property that i want to buy as well in a similar manner.

Im sure everybodys heard the same thing i have; that you can just swoop in there and pay the unpaid taxes and its yours. This thread would seem to suggest thats not entirely true or not true at all. Any more info?
                              WH

Comment

Working...
                              X