No such thing as quotas... right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No such thing as quotas... right?

Good to hear these guys did the right thing.

Four officers in the Waldo Police Department revealed to the city council last Tuesday that the department’s chief was assigning required quotas for writing tickets. The information was brought forth while discussing other complaints about activities in the department.

Quotas are illegal according to Florida state law.

Officer Brandon Roberts explained to city council members that Chief Mike Szabo ordered the officers in the department to write 12 tickets in a 12-hour work shift in order to keep their jobs. Roberts used printed emails from Szabo to validate his claims.

One such email read “Looks like you have some work to do when you come in,” written by Szabo to an officer who had issued four speeding tickets.

“We’re doing this with a heavy heart,” said Roberts. “We would never want to go against our fellow officers but we have no faith in our chain of command.”

“It’s very stressful driving through there. I mean you’re always- they’ll pull you over for anything,” said Cheryl Griffis, a Waldo resident.

In a poll conducted by the National Motorists Association regarding the worst speed traps in the country, the town of Waldo ranks third. Waldo is home to about 1,000 people.

According to Waldo documents, about half of the town’s $1 million budget relies on “police revenue”. The American Automobile Association (AAA) classified Waldo as a “traffic trap” that uses “unfair, unethical or illegal law enforcement tactics or traffic control devices.”

Waldo city manager Kim Worley suspended Szabo on August 12th after the Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigated “an alleged violation of police procedure”. It is unclear if that investigation is related to the allegations from Roberts and the other officers as city officials have been disclosing little information, but a document from Worley stated that an investigation is underway.

PRL is a community for liberty-minded punk and music fans. Libertarian = D.I.Y.

I know Plano is 1st or 2nd
    Originally posted by Silverback
    Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

They definitely exist, and apply to more than just traffic tickets. Felony arrests = bonus

Comment

Maybe we can get 03bluballsgt in here to explain how it is ok as long as you are a traffic cop.
        Originally posted by racrguy
        What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
        Originally posted by racrguy
        Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Oh no, Trublue has let 200k people walk...
          Look all you want, she can't find anyone else who treats her as bad as I do, and I keep her self esteem so low, she wouldn't think twice about going anywhere else.

Comment

I think it's about time to burn that PD to the ground. Half of their million dollar budget comes from fines? Fuck those guys.

Comment

I used to have an officer come into my store frequently, and he would bitch about department policy on "contacts" that he had to make so many of per month. He said he wasnt required to write tickets, but he was required to stop a specified number of people. One day he had been chewed on for not writing a ticket for a tail lamp out, he had issued a warning. He said they were viewing dash cam footage and grilling them about why they didnt ticket people they stopped.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                I used to have an officer come into my store frequently, and he would bitch about department policy on "contacts" that he had to make so many of per month. He said he wasnt required to write tickets, but he was required to stop a specified number of people. One day he had been chewed on for not writing a ticket for a tail lamp out, he had issued a warning. He said they were viewing dash cam footage and grilling them about why they didnt ticket people they stopped.
                But wait, isn't that extortion? Tail lamps being out, cars being parked on the wrong side of the street and speeding are such horrendous affronts to society, those kinds of actions MUST be stopped. It's all about safety, remember?

Comment

All dept have quotas, they just don't admit it. 1st and last days of the month usually see them pulling more peeps over

Comment

My department doesn't have quotas.

Comment

Stop resisting

Comment

I know FW is required to make at least two stops on your shift.

Comment

I honestly have no problem with ticketing for faulty safety equipment. Pisses me the fuck off when people don't signal... super lame to realize I'm not seeing their signal because their lamp is out. There's no way you don't know that shit's out. You'll get a fast blink, lamp out warning, etc. Same with brake lights. VERY fucking dangerous to have brake lights out.

If the person gets it fixed and a judge wants to dismiss it? fine...

Speeding, rolling stops, etc. where there's zero safety issue, I think tickets are bullshit... speed trap towns that go from 75 to 25 when you could very safely drive through at 45-55 are bullshit.
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by FastFord19 View Post
                            My department doesn't have quotas.
                            Truth, I've driven through HV many times and never been pulled over. Well there was this one time Osiris pulled me over to scare my wife, but other than that, HV is legit!

Comment

Our town is a little different. We are community policing based and a higher end community...so the revenue from tickets is not needed.

Comment

Working...
                              X