No announcement yet.

Anyone using Chromecast or Roku?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've toyed with the idea of dumping FIOS for a while. I've got Showtime and I watch several of their series - is there any way to get access to a paid subscription like Showtime through any of the non-provider services out there? I'm willing to pay for it, but I don't want to pay per episode or wait and buy the seasons after the season is over.

Comment

I use Roku 3's in my house. I still pay for U-Verse, but as soon as I get my OTA antenna installed I'm hoping to drop the service. I have a drobo 5n for backups which I'm running a plex server on to serve my media content. I get content through usenet (sickbeard / sabnzbd / couch potato). I pay for Netflix - kids love it. Tried Hulu, but couldn't stand not being able to FF through commercials. I'm a little concerned about sports, but I usually only watch local teams anyway.

Only complaints about the Roku - I wish the damn thing had a programmable power and volume button, so I could ditch my TV remotes and just use the Roku remote. I've also found it to be finicky if you stream your own content and it's not in the right format. The drobo isn't powerful enough to reliably transcode. I just try to get the correct format. Other then that I think it's the best package out there. I liked Apple TV, but too locked down to me.
      DamonH

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
        I've toyed with the idea of dumping FIOS for a while. I've got Showtime and I watch several of their series - is there any way to get access to a paid subscription like Showtime through any of the non-provider services out there? I'm willing to pay for it, but I don't want to pay per episode or wait and buy the seasons after the season is over.
        Not anytime soon in the United States. The entire pay TV industry is based on making you pay for a bunch of stuff you don't want and they have plenty of lobbyists in Washington making sure it stays that way. Eventually Apple, Google, Microsoft, Amazon and Netflix will make the big carriers obsolete but for now the gravy train is running pretty good.

Comment

My slow ass internet connection is too slow to stream video... what is the minimum download speed one could get by with for Roku or Hulu or similar?

What is Apple TV all about?

Would love to 86 the Direct TV service we currently have...

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by DamonH View Post

Only complaints about the Roku - I wish the damn thing had a programmable power and volume button, so I could ditch my TV remotes and just use the Roku remote.
            You wouldn't be able to do that anyway, unless your TVs support Wi-Fi Direct.

Comment

Originally posted by mardyn View Post
              My slow ass internet connection is too slow to stream video... what is the minimum download speed one could get by with for Roku or Hulu or similar?

mardyn
              1.5Mbps for 480P Standard Def / 3.0Mbps & up for 720P/1080P

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                You wouldn't be able to do that anyway, unless your TVs support Wi-Fi Direct.
                While accurate, my point was I wish it had the functionality to control the basics of my TV. I suppose if they have to add the buttons anyway what's an IR emitter?
                DamonH

Comment

Originally posted by DamonH View Post
                  While accurate, my point was I wish it had the functionality to control the basics of my TV. I suppose if they have to add the buttons anyway what's an IR emitter?
                  People typically use them in situations where they have all their gear in a rack (or somewhere out of line of sight) and need to control it all from the main seating location. You just have to point to a single receiver mounted around your TV/Cabinet.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                    1.5Mbps for 480P Standard Def / 3.0Mbps & up for 720P/1080P
                    ^^ In my dreams ^^

Looks like I'm stuck with Direct TV for a while longer...

mardyn

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                      Nah, I gave up on gaming since I suck so bad at every game made after about 1995.

I think we still have a PS2 and Super Nintendo but that's it. Leah actually won an Xbox One when they first come out but we sold that shit as soon as it arrived. lol
                      It might be worth it for yall to snag a used 360 off Clist or the like for the Amazon Prime streaming.

Comment

I bought the Chromecast for myself for Christmas and it did not work out. After struggling with why it would not connect to my wireless router (which frankly I would have been happy if it just connected to my laptop and not my router) I discovered it is not compatible with most AT&T home routers. Research on the web shows this is apparently a common issue so I returned it. Now I am thinking of the Amazon Fire TV stick with remote. Anyone use this? Who is your ISP?

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                          Not anytime soon in the United States.
                          False. HBO is offering HBO Go in 2015 as a standalone service, rather than having to have a cable subscription. I'd expect Showtime to follow suit since they are one in the same.
                          Originally posted by BradM
                          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                          Originally posted by Leah
                          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                            Nah, I gave up on gaming since I suck so bad at every game made after about 1995.

I think we still have a PS2 and Super Nintendo but that's it. Leah actually won an Xbox One when they first come out but we sold that shit as soon as it arrived. lol
                            One of the kids has either Xbox 360 or PS3, because Austin sent me a friend request a long time ago. You can stream Amazon from both.

Comment

I dropped directv Over a two yrs ago and haven't looked back since then. Very satisfied with Apple tv.
                              I have my iPad jail broken and run Xbmc on it has all the content I need movie live tv and everything inbetween. As far as tv series go I stream them from watchtvlinks site. All this is mirrored to my Apple TV.
                              As far as ISP I signed with time warner and their 100mbps package and love it perfect for heavy streaming.

Comment

Anyone have any good recommendations on Antennas? I don't want an indoor. I want an outdoor I can mount on the roof, and run splitters to each room. I'm ditching cable promptly after the Cowboy game on Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                X