Anyone using Chromecast or Roku?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone using Chromecast or Roku?

Here's the thing. I don't want to pay for any subscriptions. I never want to be screwed by cable or dish again.

I really just want to be able to watch whatever I would watch on my laptop, but on my TV and do it wireless where I don't have to run a cable from the laptop to the TV. My TV is an older Samsung LCD with a wireless usb dongle.

What I can't seem to get a clear answer on, is if using one of these things I only get to watch some paid service with them, or only "channels" for that certain device. Like is there special programming for Chromecast and Roku and that is wall you can watch with them? What if I just want to watch cat videos on YouTube. LiveLeak, or Vimeo?

chromecast only works with web browsers and certain chromecast apps from your mobile device. Basically it's just a push device, and has no content on it.

Roku has apps installed on it, and you can watch those apps that you subscribe to, etc.

Comment

Not familiar, but subscribing.

My issue with leaving cable is football.

Comment

I use Roku for Netflix, Slacker, Padora, etc. I like it, never had any probs with it

Comment

Just started roku here so far not too bad there is a lot of free content but like netflix it always seems what you want they don't have what they have you don't want.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
            Here's the thing. I don't want to pay for any subscriptions. I never want to be screwed by cable or dish again.

I really just want to be able to watch whatever I would watch on my laptop, but on my TV and do it wireless where I don't have to run a cable from the laptop to the TV. My TV is an older Samsung LCD with a wireless usb dongle.

What I can't seem to get a clear answer on, is if using one of these things I only get to watch some paid service with them, or only "channels" for that certain device. Like is there special programming for Chromecast and Roku and that is wall you can watch with them? What if I just want to watch cat videos on YouTube. LiveLeak, or Vimeo?
            You can watch Youtube with the Chromecast, haven't tried LiveLeak or Vimeo though. It will not work if the service you wish to play from requires Silverlight, like Amazon, which sucks since we get free streaming with Amazon Prime.

I have only used ours with Netflix and Youtube.

Comment

We cut the cable and don't miss it.

Over the air HD antenna and we get about 20 channels. ($45 from amazon)
              Hulu ($7 / mth)
              Amazon Prime (given free shipping savings, free)
              Chromecast - use in the office when at the PC and can sling a streaming site over to it, or Hulu.

Even after totaling up the roku's, the CCasts and the HD antenna, we broke even by mth 3 and have been saving money since.

Fuck cable.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                Not familiar, but subscribing.

My issue with leaving cable is football.
                I know some people that have cancelled Satellite / Cable just use an antenna for local channels. Of course that may not give you access to all the games you want.

One thing I don't like about using the Chromecast is having to use my laptop as the remote (to pause and such). I guess you could use your phone instead. I really only used it before getting our current bluray player. Our previous bluray player played Netflix but the interface was terrible at best. Our current one works way better.

I would probably use it way more if we didn't have Dish. I would definitely use it more if it worked with Silverlight (for Amazon).

Comment

Originally posted by Chili View Post
                  You can watch Youtube with the Chromecast, haven't tried LiveLeak or Vimeo though. It will not work if the service you wish to play from requires Silverlight, like Amazon, which sucks since we get free streaming with Amazon Prime.

I have only used ours with Netflix and Youtube.
                  If you have a 360 or Xbone, you can stream your Amazon Prime vids through it.

For the Chromecast users, if you know someone with a Plex server, you can cast it via the mobile app or browser from pc.

Comment

Originally posted by Tx Redneck View Post
                    If you have a 360 or Xbone, you can stream your Amazon Prime vids through it.

For the Chromecast users, if you know someone with a Plex server, you can cast it via the mobile app or browser from pc.
                    Nah, I gave up on gaming since I suck so bad at every game made after about 1995.

I think we still have a PS2 and Super Nintendo but that's it. Leah actually won an Xbox One when they first come out but we sold that shit as soon as it arrived. lol

Comment

Chromecast is the shit. If you want to watch something you can't subscribe to, find a stream site, and live the good life.
                      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

I have the Roku 3 and the WD TV Live. There is an absurd amount of free and paid subscriber channels on the Roku. More content than most people have time to watch. Roku also has a Plex channel as well as a lot of hidden channels you can add. I like the interface of the Roku the best out of the media streamers, for both snappy performance and appearance. However, the WD box supports just about every codec/container under the sun. That's what I use to stream .ISO (with menus) and .MKV rips from my media server.

I have no experience with Chromecast.

Comment

Find somebody you know with cable, ask if you can use their log in to use the Watch ESPN app. That works with Chromecast.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Comment

With Watch ESPN app and HD antenna, there's enough sports. I wish Fox Sports had a app, then I'd be set.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Comment

Wireless HDMI will do what you want.

Chromecast will give you a youtube feed for anything you can watch on an Android device and of course you get apps like Hulu, Amazon and Netflix.

It's going to specifically disable things like HBO and Dish's anywhere app. However your laptop can run them and send to a TV through HDMI.

Fox Sports will never give their service away without it being tied to a major provider. Either watch the games at a bar or deal with bootleg streaming services, otherwise you'll have to pay.

Comment

Working...
                              X