Why is it that? stupid question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it that? stupid question

During the summer I can't expect my ac to cool the house to about 30 degree's under the outside temp.... Yet it's 8 outside in Texas and my heater has been cycling on ten on five off for the last few hours and still 69 in the house.. The insulation does not work at the same ratios or what?

I do live in a split level duplex and understand the degree variance per floors still.. just don't understand why the heater is much more efficient.

That's a good question. I assume your heating is all electric as well? I can't make the price comparison, but I can tell you that just about everywhere I've noticed, it is easier to cool than heat. Even in the middle of summer in Iraq vs. the middle of winter.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny View Post
      That's a good question. I assume your heating is all electric as well? I can't make the price comparison, but I can tell you that just about everywhere I've noticed, it is easier to cool than heat. Even in the middle of summer in Iraq vs. the middle of winter.

electric central air and heat... since I posted this thread I've put some more thought into it thinking that maybe the thermostat is somewhere that's 69 but where I'm at is not... but even if it is a +/-5 degrees it's still a bigger temp swing than can be expected in the summer.

Comment

Ya, but the T-stat is in the same place when it's reading the A/C side as well.

Comment

its a nice 78* here at the house
          Originally posted by talisman
          I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
          Originally posted by AdamLX
          If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
          Originally posted by Broncojohnny
          Because fuck you, that's why
          Originally posted by 80coupe
          nice dick, Idrivea4banger
          Originally posted by Rick Modena
          ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
          Originally posted by Jester
          Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

shit that's an inferno, 78 is what i want in the summers wearing boxers and a wife beater this time of year I'm good at 65-70 in some pajama pants and a sweat shirt.

Comment

Everything generates heat. Your A/C generates heat and cold, so it's less efficient.

Comment

Originally posted by Raskal View Post
                shit that's an inferno, 78 is what i want in the summers wearing boxers and a wife beater this time of year I'm good at 65-70 in some pajama pants and a sweat shirt.
                I couldn't even breathe in a 78* house. Way too hot for my likings.
                I keep it 71 while in bed and drop it back to 70 during the day while home in the winter.

Comment

Front door is open and the fan is on.

Comment

68 insid here

Comment

It's easier to generate and transfer heat (what a heater does) than it is to release and absorb heat (what an AC unit does)
                      Originally posted by Denny View Post
                      Easier to cool than heat?
                      Originally posted by Broncojohnny
                      HOORAY ME and FUCK YOU!

Comment

i've got it at a nice 75 in my apt.
                        Originally posted by 56482
                        only on DFWMUstangs...

Comment

Originally posted by idrivea4banger View Post
                          its a nice 78* here at the house
                          Thanks for the rolling blackouts asshole

Comment

Originally posted by shoot to kill View Post
                            i've got it at a nice 75 in my apt.
                            Same to you.

Comment

Current technology makes it a whole lot easier and more efficient to heat something up than to cool it off.

Essentially all you are doing is creating fire or heating a coil with electrical resistance, either using caveman technology or something that's been around since electricity was discovered, and redistributing the heat around the house.

Cooling though involves a much more complex system that uses forced evaporation, condensation and compression, all requiring substantial outside energy to operate and then redistributing the air.

Also you can get your A/C to cool your house down to freezing temps in the summer if you really wanted to but it'd be very expensive. There is a ski resort in Dubai after all, where it's 120+ outside in the summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X