House shopping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• House shopping

Anyone else find this to be an utter beating?

We started a few weeks ago and I've literally had a headache and I indegestion since we started. I blame the wife
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

Its a huge pain in the ass but well worth it if you make the right decision.

Comment

Before we were ready to actually start looking, we would just eye shop online fore months. Each house we looked at was a big no or was over the choo choo we wanted to spend. On the first day we went looking with the agent, we found our house. but yea what a eye ache. get you a good home inspector and good luck.

Comment

Wasn't that bad.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Same here, it wasn't that bad. We looked at maybe 10 properties total, asidd from scouring the online listings to get an idea of what we wanted and what was available. If you're having trouble, perhaps your expectations are higher than what you can afford, or you need a new realtor.

Comment

Our experience wasn't bad at all. But now the house is a damn PITA...

Found this under the porch when replacing fascia boards. I've spent the last few days bracing, ripping it out, and replacing... Now I can finally get back to putting up the hardie plank..

Comment

Yeah, it's a beating. In certain areas not so bad, but trying to move to Ft. Worth is proving to be a giant pain in my ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                Same here, it wasn't that bad. We looked at maybe 10 properties total, asidd from scouring the online listings to get an idea of what we wanted and what was available. If you're having trouble, perhaps your expectations are higher than what you can afford, or you need a new realtor.
                None of the above really. We have a reasonable budget, about 180k. It's getting the old lady to agree to one.....

We did put in an offer on one but it had a few other offers and I wasn't willing to go into a bidding war and over pay for a house I felt was already priced at the top of the spectrum for the area.
                07 f250-family truckster
                08 Denali -baby hauler
                52 f1-rust bucket
                05 Jeep tj. Buggy
                livin the double-wide dream

Comment

Originally posted by Sean88gt View Post
                  Yeah, it's a beating. In certain areas not so bad, but trying to move to Ft. Worth is proving to be a giant pain in my ass.
                  their anti-gay policy is really putting you down, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                    None of the above really. We have a reasonable budget, about 180k. It's getting the old lady to agree to one.....

We did put in an offer on one but it had a few other offers and I wasn't willing to go into a bidding war and over pay for a house I felt was already priced at the top of the spectrum for the area.
                    Get used to that very situation. You are going to get it on almost every house you try to make an offer on. We lucked out on our house and sent in our offer the first day on the market.

Comment

Anyone else find this to be an utter beating?

Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't feel is right for you. That even means don't let the wife talk you into something you don't think is right. It is always easier to "upgrade" to a bigger, better home later than to bite off more than you can chew. And if you end up having money issues. The marriage is much more likely to go south also.

Comment

I gave mine my list of my needs and wants, and let her do the "shopping." In the end we put bids on two houses at the same time, for the max that we were comfortable with, expecting and willing to walk away from both. Both came back asking for a best offer, which we held to. We got outbid on one, and shared the highest bid on the other, but had offered to split some of the costs which are traditionally taken care of by the seller. So the difference was a literally few hundred dollars. It's a seller's market right now in many areas, accept that, and set expectations accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by 1carcrazyguy View Post
                          Don't let anyone talk you into something you don't feel is right for you. That even means don't let the wife talk you into something you don't think is right. It is always easier to "upgrade" to a bigger, better home later than to bite off more than you can chew. And if you end up having money issues. The marriage is much more likely to go south also.

tru dat, comfort zone at least have $6,000 in saving for emergencies after moving in. something always comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Big A View Post
                            I gave mine my list of my needs and wants, and let her do the "shopping." In the end we put bids on two houses at the same time, for the max that we were comfortable with, expecting and willing to walk away from both. Both came back asking for a best offer, which we held to. We got outbid on one, and shared the highest bid on the other, but had offered to split some of the costs which are traditionally taken care of by the seller. So the difference was a literally few hundred dollars. It's a seller's market right now in many areas, accept that, and set expectations accordingly.
                            Best advice you'll receive right now.

Comment

We got extremely lucky with our purchase. We had been looking for 6 months or so when our house came available. We paid asking price, though. We were second in line to buy and they accepted our offer. We bought it for about $16k less than the average value on the street, probably because it needed work.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Working...
                              X