Train schedules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Train schedules

Short of it, we are looking at a house that is near a Freight line. I'm familiar with the area and have only seen a train through that crossing a couple of times, so I know it can't be all that busy.

Is there anyway to find a record of how many trains run through a particular section of railway, or crossing?

How close we talking? I would avoid that if it is less than a few blocks away. The property value will never go up and you'll likely have issues selling when you're eventually ready to move.

Comment

Repost

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
        How close we talking? I would avoid that if it is less than a few blocks away. The property value will never go up and you'll likely have issues selling when you're eventually ready to move.
        Mid-rise condo, that is within 300' of the rails. The two crossings are no horn zones and the train speed is supposed to be <20mph through this section.

Probably not a ton of potential for appreciation simply because its a condo...

Comment

Originally posted by jakesford View Post
          Mid-rise condo, that is within 300' of the rails. The two crossings are no horn zones and the train speed is supposed to be <20mph through this section.

Definitely true about condos in DFW, but man that is very close. Is this in a downtown area? If it is I could see it being possible, but I'd still be wary.

Why are you wanting to live in a condo? With low rates out there and HOA dues getting higher and higher it can be only marginally more expensive to own a house in many cases. This is the dilemma I was working on 2 years ago when I started really looking at the market again.

Comment

unless its up/down a hill/curve that speed shouldn't be correct. Go look at the crossing gates or tell us the area and i'll tell you if its up/bnsf/fwwr

Comment

Definitely true about condos in DFW, but man that is very close. Is this in a downtown area? If it is I could see it being possible, but I'd still be wary.

Why are you wanting to live in a condo? With low rates out there and HOA dues getting higher and higher it can be only marginally more expensive to own a house in many cases. This is the dilemma I was working on 2 years ago when I started really looking at the market again.
              We are leaning towards a condo because we are so busy. I've owned my house in the burbs for 6 years now, but I've wanted to move more centrally located for awhile. Most of the houses near downtown, in the neighborhoods we like, are going to be 1920's homes. That means a lot of work/projects, and we just don't want to spend our free time working on a house, plus it drives me nuts paying someone to do work that I can do.

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
              unless its up/down a hill/curve that speed shouldn't be correct. Go look at the crossing gates or tell us the area and i'll tell you if its up/bnsf/fwwr
              West 7th in Fort Worth. The train runs north/south just west of the trinity...and mistype on the speed, it was <30mph from some info I got, not sure if this is accurate??

Comment

We are leaning towards a condo because we are so busy. I've owned my house in the burbs for 6 years now, but I've wanted to move more centrally located for awhile. Most of the houses near downtown, in the neighborhoods we like, are going to be 1920's homes. That means a lot of work/projects, and we just don't want to spend our free time working on a house, plus it drives me nuts paying someone to do work that I can do.

West 7th in Fort Worth. The train runs north/south just west of the trinity...and mistype on the speed, it was <30mph from some info I got, not sure if this is accurate??
                That's fwwr line noone else will use it they should run 1 train @ 12ish and 1 at midnight. Dont have access to the timetable for them since we dont ever run on the line.

they use that line for all the industrial jobs in cresson/weatherford area should be max of 30 cars.

Shouldn't be a bother especially in a condo but even though it is a "quiet zone" they still can use the horn if someone walks on the tracks/beside the tracks.

Comment

The Tarantula train used to use those tracks but I think they've stopped going to Granbury. I've personally never had to wait for a train there and I've gone down that road thousands of times.

Make sure you take a look at the Trinity River Vision Authority's plans if you are buying. It will drastically affect property values in the next 10 years.

Comment

Makes sense. I will add however that after a year of living in an apartment I was ready to get the hell back into a house. I was just considering the condo route at first because I assumed it would be cheaper, and I wanted a paid off place to live.

Condo's have plenty of pro's and con's, just like a house, but in the end I am very glad I ended up back in a house. I lived in my condo for 6 years, and it was a great cheap starter place, but there were a lot of annoyances. Does the place you're looking at have a garage? Plenty of parking?

Comment

I worked for FWWR and sometimes we would have well over 30 cars on the way out to dublin or cresson. the rail is super shitty and many derails occur in that little stretch, so it could tie up the crossing for a couple of hours. there were 3 jobs that would run through there the down the hill job that serviced all the industries in that area then a cresson job and a dublin turn. the cresson and dublin run could run very late at night through that area on its way back. we had a guy out in cresson that was switching cars and one started rolling. he hopped on it and the brake wasnt working so he stayed on, it was a tanker. he said he got going so fast that he would fly through the crossings then when he looked back the gates were coming down, luckily it was very early morning. he rode it all the way through the tower, so much for safety derails before the tower, huh.
                      "Yeeeeehhhhhaaaaawwwww that's my jam"

Comment

Makes sense. I will add however that after a year of living in an apartment I was ready to get the hell back into a house. I was just considering the condo route at first because I assumed it would be cheaper, and I wanted a paid off place to live.

Condo's have plenty of pro's and con's, just like a house, but in the end I am very glad I ended up back in a house. I lived in my condo for 6 years, and it was a great cheap starter place, but there were a lot of annoyances. Does the place you're looking at have a garage? Plenty of parking?
                        No private garage, but two assigned spots to common secured garage. Guest parking is a little light, but there were spots the two times we went (want to check it out more). Honestly that is my biggest hold up to the condos, I like having a private garage. For our budget, in the areas we like, town homes with private garages are significantly more $$.

Comment

I think you can call the city and ask them. I know a few years ago my parents had to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                            That's fwwr line noone else will use it they should run 1 train @ 12ish and 1 at midnight. Dont have access to the timetable for them since we dont ever run on the line.

they use that line for all the industrial jobs in cresson/weatherford area should be max of 30 cars.

Shouldn't be a bother especially in a condo but even though it is a "quiet zone" they still can use the horn if someone walks on the tracks/beside the tracks.
                            Cool, thanks

Originally posted by f0ur sixer View Post
                            I think you can call the city and ask them. I know a few years ago my parents had to do that.
                            I may end up trying that as well.

Comment

No private garage, but two assigned spots to common secured garage. Guest parking is a little light, but there were spots the two times we went (want to check it out more). Honestly that is my biggest hold up to the condos, I like having a private garage. For our budget, in the areas we like, town homes with private garages are significantly more $$.

Yeah, that is what I always found as well. I just couldn't justify the money for a nice enough one when I could be happier with a cheaper house, and not have to keep paying dues once it is paid off. Of course when you're looking in a very specific area, like downtown, that isn't always an option.

Comment

Working...
                              X