Column vs console shifters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
    I never understood why you would want a console shifter in a truck. The shifter belongs on the column.

That was one of those details that Ford got right on the Lightning.
    Eh. The fx4 interior layout is way nicer IMO than the column shift setup. Not saying that for all models, but on the 150 I liked it a lot more.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
      having been driving trucks for 15yrs, I reach for the column shift in my wife's cars all the time
      Know the feeling!

Originally posted by jluv View Post
      Column just makes more sense to me for any automatic trans.
      Console shift is just for people that like to feel that they have a manual. It serves no purpose, I am actually a fan of the new knob setup in the Rams.

Comment

Originally posted by 46Tbird View Post
        I never understood why you would want a console shifter in a truck. The shifter belongs on the column.
        On most new models if you want bucket seats instead of 60/40 bench, you're getting a console shifter. The console also provides a ton of storage in the new Rams. Higher trim packages also come with consoles.
        Originally posted by BradM
        But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
        Originally posted by Leah
        In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Given the fact that 2/3's of my vehicles have been an manuals (including trucks), and the fact that I never have, and never will own an SUV, or minivan. I prefer a console mounted floor shift.

I like a console with lot of functions. In one of my projects cars- it had console with 3 gauges, switches for fog lights, manual on/off for the cooling fans, master on/off for water/alcohol injection, coin holder, cup holders, power ports, USB port, iPhone storage slot in the console lid.

Comment

I like a center console, but what does that have to do with the shifter?

Center console for storage, cup holders, buttons, doodads, whatever, and still have the shifter on the column. Heck, having a console shifter just takes away usable space from your console.

Can anyone name one functional advantage to having the console shifter? I say get that shit up on the column and out of the way.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
              My new truck has buckets with a console shifter. Took me a while to get used to it, but I like it better than a column shifter.
              Makes it harder to get road head
              "PSH!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                I like a center console, but what does that have to do with the shifter?

Center console for storage, cup holders, buttons, doodads, whatever, and still have the shifter on the column. Heck, having a console shifter just takes away usable space from your console.

Can anyone name one functional advantage to having the console shifter? I say get that shit up on the column and out of the way.
                The main reason for column shifter is, when coupled with a bench or 60/40 seat is - room for 3.

If you have a console, and bucket seats, since you lost room for 3 - you might as well park the shifter there. Consoles evolved as a way to use the wasted space when you have buckets & a stick shift. I've only seen a few vehicles with bucket seats, console and column shift.

And column shifted manual transmissions have be gone for 40 years- for good reason, they are an pain in the ass & don't work too well. I know- my first car had a column shifted 3 speed manual.
                Last edited by white trash wagon; 07-19-2014, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Column guy here. And I have seen a ton of vehicles with buckets, consoles, and column shifters, so not sure where white trash got the idea they are rare. That setup used to be common.
                  I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackGT View Post
                    When shopping for trucks, I specifically picked the FX2 because it has the console shifter. Don't like the column shifters.
                    Originally posted by sc281 View Post
                    In the previous gen f150 I prefer the console shifter, but in just about everything else a column would do fine.
                    A few months ago I picked up an FX2 F150 with the console shifter and I love it. It just looks nicer imo.
                    68 Coupe- 351w, TFS heads, Comp XE284, 5 speed, Explorer 8.8, 4 Wheel Discs
                    63 Fairlane

Originally posted by forbes
                    i call 1911 first then 911

Comment

Originally posted by white trash wagon View Post
                      The main reason for column shifter is, when coupled with a bench or 60/40 seat is - room for 3.

If you have a console, and bucket seats, since you lost room for 3 - you might as well park the shifter there. Consoles evolved as a way to use the wasted space when you have buckets & a stick shift. I've only seen a few vehicles with bucket seats, console and column shift.

And column shifted manual transmissions have be gone for 40 years- for good reason, they are an pain in the ass & don't work too well. I know- my first car had a column shifted 3 speed manual.
                      The last 3 vehicles I've had came with buckets, console, and a column shifter. It's very common (or at least it used to be). That's the setup I like.

Comment

I had a console shift fx2 f150 and now a column shift F250 (all my previous were column) and I love the column shift. That and there is more console storage with 4 cup holders

Comment

I only like that I have a center console. I really don't care where the shifter is. Of course a column shifter on a vehicle with a center console just frees up more space. This is the arraingement of my wife's Mercedes GLK.

The only exception to this is when the vehicle is a manual. I can drive a 3 on the tree but I think they suck.

BTW, I like the dial shifter on Ran pickups..

Comment

Working...
                          X