No announcement yet.

Q for those who are/were career driven or self employed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some people genuinely enjoy working and like what they do. In that event, there should be no negative sentiment associated with working long hours.

I often times do similar stuff when I get home as to what my job entails. I like to design and build stuff...so naturally I'll have a project at home as well. The only difference is deadlines and documentation

Comment

Some people genuinely enjoy working and like what they do. In that event, there should be no negative sentiment associated with working long hours.

I often times do similar stuff when I get home as to what my job entails. I like to design and build stuff...so naturally I'll have a project at home as well. The only difference is deadlines and documentation

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post

You could say that again.
        Originally posted by davbrucas
        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

And again

Comment

Through my 20's and into my early 30's I was very driven, career-wise. I moved up pretty quickly (relative to my peers in the industry) and was always younger than all of my employees.

Getting laid off 5 years ago really helped put things in perspective and I am very different as a result. I still only make about 75% of what I did when I was laid off, but there are lot of small luxuries I have now that I didn't before. Casual work environment and coworkers I actually like are two of the biggest.

I'm still formulating plans for the second half of my life (or whatever I have left, anyways) but much of the big changes I would like to make will have to wait until all of the kids are grown and moved on.

Hopefully that will all occur by the time I am 50 (11 more years). I don't want to be stuck in a lame office job for another 20-30 years, that's for sure.

Comment

I bust my ass, and work lots of hours. I like to play, and I like to have enough in the bank for the wife and kids to be comfortable. Having kids pushed me into working harder. Now after a ~50 hour week at my office, I spend a few nights a week and sometimes all weekend at the shop working on cars.

I have to plan to not work to spend time with the wife and kids. I cant sit on the couch and watch movies like the wife. Im just not built for it. She wants to "spend time together" by being in the same room. I need to be doing something, and If I can be doing something to put money in my pocket or for entertainment, that's what i'll do.

I also think that ill work till I die. I dont see myself retiring and not having something to do daily.
              "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

I like what I do and the people i work with. I am heavily incentivized by the deal and wish i could work a few saturdays.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  I bust my ass, and work lots of hours. I like to play, and I like to have enough in the bank for the wife and kids to be comfortable. Having kids pushed me into working harder. Now after a ~50 hour week at my office, I spend a few nights a week and sometimes all weekend at the shop working on cars.

I have to plan to not work to spend time with the wife and kids. I cant sit on the couch and watch movies like the wife. Im just not built for it. She wants to "spend time together" by being in the same room. I need to be doing something, and If I can be doing something to put money in my pocket or for entertainment, that's what i'll do.

I also think that ill work till I die. I dont see myself retiring and not having something to do daily.
                  I am the same way, I do watch TV but it is while working or going to sleep. The little down time I have is spent researching whatever rabbit hole I have fallen in that day.

Comment

Q for those who are/were career driven or self employed

I was just like the op, worked 80+ hours a week, then whatever time I had left was for family and friends. I was always chasing the dollar.

When my brother was dying, (he was a work-a-holic as well) he told me to not make the same mistake he did. He said he realized that having the "ill bust my ass while I'm young and enjoy life when I'm old" mindset was never going to end. He was never going to slow down on his own. Then he got sick, and realized it was too late. He spent most of his life working, and gave up so much time that could have been spent making memories with friends and family. "Don't make that mistake like I did dude, work hard, but enjoy your life and loved ones, because you may not get to later". I remember those words vividly.

So I changed. Now I MAKE time for my family. I work hard, but I set limits. I can always find another job. I can always find a way to make money. But I will never be able to replace my family.

I'm so much happier living like that. Took a while to get used to it, but I'm glad I did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X