Q for those who are/were career driven or self employed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Q for those who are/were career driven or self employed

Let me start off by saying I work, a LOT. Probably around 80hrs+ a week between welding and firearms sales. I often miss out on seeing family and hanging out with friends. I do it though as I believe it will eventually pay off.

So as I was driving to MO at 2AM the other night/morning to pick up some equipment, I thought to myself: When do you take a step back and just decide it's no longer worth it? I would like to hear from you that were/are self employed or very career driven (not not the guy that just works the avg 9-5) and decided you would rather have more free time than grow a business or make money and do you miss the fast pace and stress? How did your life change after?

I myself have no plans to slow down anytime soon, just curious to hear others experience.

Sounds kind of like our conversation when I was at your house a few months ago, about the value of time
    Interested in being a VIP member and donating to the site? Click here http://dfwmustangs.net/forums/payments.php

Comment

Make money when you're young and able. Slack off when you're old.
      ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Originally posted by YALE View Post
        Make money when you're young and able. Slack off when you're old.
        basically this, I work crazy hours, and am away from home a lot. I have missed milestones, like my boys first steps, etc. I do it though because I want to be very finacially secure and be able to provide anything and everything my family could possibly want. I guess if you are willing to sacrafice, the ends justice the means.
        ازدهار رأسه برعشيت

Comment

I am having this exact dilemma now, I have worked basically 60-90 hr weeks the last 15 yrs. my attitude was exactly like Yale states.
          07 GT500
          05 SRT10
          88 turbocoupe T-bird
          93 Cobra
          86 coupe
          Ducati 848

Comment

I had this hit me about 3 years ago when I was working from 6 a.m. till 9 p.m. mon-fri and 8 a.m. till 3 p.m. on sat. I had dropped to 135 lbs, never took lunches and worked past my limits. It cost me my marriage, I let my ego and fear of not being financially secure get the best of me. Unfortunately it took that to make me realize I needed to change. I now have to fight the urge to get back in that routine and it is hard, it almost seems to me like how drug addicts describe the urge. I now work 7 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. ish and I do save some times that get financially hard, but I am learning how to make my money and investments work for me.

Comment

You hit a wall. You will know it when you get there....

Comment

Oh! and I have used a lot of my free time to learn, when I only worked and slept there was no time to learn new things. I was actually impressed with myself the other night with the number of different things I have figured out

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                  Good solid 1000th post!

Comment

For about 3 years in SF, I worked 14-15 hour days, with a 2 week stretch of 18-20 hour days every quarter. I was gone long before my son woke up and home after he was in bed. I now do a 45 hour week and don't miss a damn thing about the old hours. Biggest bonus is I get to spend time with my son. I also work out daily and lost 20 lbs over the last few months.
                    Originally posted by davbrucas
                    I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

I began changing my work priorities when we had kids. I quit working late constantly, stopped taking as much freelance work and basically just reconfigured my priorities. Since kids are little for a short time and grow up extra-fast these days I figured they were more important than more hours on the job. It worked ok for me - everyone's different, though. Good luck finding the balance that's right for you.

Comment

I was a bank manager for 2 years until February. Monday-friday I was waking up at 5am to get to and open my branch at 6:30 and staying until 6:30 to close up. Sat was 8-3:30. I generally took one or half a day off so 60hr wks were the norm. Gained a bunch of weight due to poor diet and not working out, and felt crappy in general even though I was putting good money away.

I finally decided that the money wasn't worth it and gave my notice. I've since taken about 6 months off of working to decide if I wanted to do something else or not and decided to go back to my old position of banker. Money is slightly less, but it's a straight 40 hr 9-5 that I enjoyed, was very good at and will actually give me a life outside of my job.

Comment

Originally posted by dcs13 View Post
                          THIS... and I've hit it... 4yrs straight... 7 days a week... very little vacation... taking phone calls and emailing and working while on vacation often times.

I had a blast at first, but the last year or so has ground me down quite a bit... unexpected bonus, I just started charging more and more because I had fewer and fewer fucks to give. Supply and demand I guess.

I hit the wall a couple months ago. Out of fucks to give. I'm taking a hiatus and starting up a new venture.
                          http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

As a farmer i put in some crazy hours but you gotta take some time off.

I learned in my early 20s working three jobs. It was all about money. Being self employed its hard to say no to a job because it feeds you and your family.

I work 7 days a week for most of the year. Even in the winter i put in atleast half days.
                            one day ill say fuck it and sell it all and find a beach.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
                              THIS... and I've hit it... 4yrs straight... 7 days a week... very little vacation... taking phone calls and emailing and working while on vacation often times.

I had a blast at first, but the last year or so has ground me down quite a bit... unexpected bonus, I just started charging more and more because I had fewer and fewer fucks to give. Supply and demand I guess.

I hit the wall a couple months ago. Out of fucks to give. I'm taking a hiatus and starting up a new venture.
                              Strippergrams?

Comment

Working...
                              X