Feel good story for today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feel good story for today

Veteran Michael Sulsona had been waiting on a new wheelchair from the VA for years. After receiving no help, his broke down inside a Lowe’s.

That’s when three strangers stepped in to help. Sulsona wrote this letter to the Staten Island Advance to share the story and express his gratitude.

In 1971, I stepped on a land mine in Vietnam and lost both legs above the knee.

For the past two years, I have been waiting to receive a new wheelchair from the Veterans Administration. In addition, I have been told that I am not entitled to a spare wheelchair.

On the evening of July 7, my wheelchair fell apart again, while shopping at Lowe’s Home Improvement Center in on Forest Avenue in Mariners Harbor.

Three employees, David, Marcus, and Souleyman jumped to my assistance immediately. They placed me in another chair while they went to work.

They took the wheelchair apart and replaced the broken parts and told me, “We’re going to make this chair like new.”

I left 45 minutes after closing hours in my wheelchair that was like new.

I kept thanking them and all they could say was, “It was our honor.”

The actions of these three employees at Lowe’s showed me there are some who still believe in stepping to the plate.

They didn’t ask any questions, didn’t feel the need to fill out any forms or make phone calls. Someone needed help and they felt privileged to be given the opportunity.
    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Screw Home Depot!

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

then they all three got fired

Comment

Originally posted by 2011gt View Post
          screw home depot!
          lol!

Comment

Micheal Johnson work at HD.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnboy View Post
              Micheal Johnson work at HD.
              34 to go...
              Originally posted by PGreenCobra
              I can't get over the fact that you get to go live the rest of your life, knowing that someone made a Halloween costume out of you. LMAO!!
              Originally posted by Trip McNeely
              Originally posted by dsrtuckteezy
              dont downshift!!
              Go do a whooly in front of a Peterbilt.

Comment

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A simple "thanks" was all Vietnam veteran Michael Sulsona had to say after the outpouring of support which led to him receiving a new wheelchair from the office of Veterans' Affairs on Tuesday.

"It's incredible," he said of his new chair, which was delivered to his home in Graniteville. "It's like getting into a new car. You feel it -- everything is tight and secure."

Sulsona, who lost both of his legs after stepping on a land mine in Vietnam 40 years ago, encountered an unexpected act of kindness last week after his wheelchair fell apart in Lowe's Home Improvement Center on Forest Avenue in Mariners Harbor.

After seeing what happened, three employees at the store told him, "we're not leaving here until the wheelchair is fixed," and proceeded to repair the broken parts.

"No one needed permission, there were no forms to fill out, no incident reports -- they just saw a guy in trouble and helped," he said of the three workers.

On Tuesday, after waiting more than two years for a replacement wheelchair, Sulsona said the VA finally delivered a brand new wheelchair to his home.

The VA did not immediately return a request for comment from the Advance, but a spokesman for the New York Veteran's Association reportedly said that Sulsona received a custom wheelchair and pledged to service the chair when needed.

"We were very sorry to hear about the reported circumstances surrounding Mr. Sulsona's request for a new wheelchair," the VA told Buzzfeed. "We quickly investigated and can report the veteran's new custom wheelchair was delivered to him today and it along with his back up will be serviced by the VA as needed."

In response, Sulsona said: "I'd hate to cheapen what these guys did, but isn't that their job? I should have had the chair I was entitled to, but because of red tape, I never got a chair until now."

Still, Sulsona said he doesn't want to point blame at anyone for the delay in getting a new wheelchair. He's more proud of the three Lowe's employees who came through for him in the clutch.

"This whole story is based around three good guys," Sulsona said. "I think it's really important that we all be like these people who wanted to help me; things would be so much easier."

STATEN ISLAND, N.Y. -- A simple "thanks" was all Vietnam veteran Michael Sulsona had to say after the outpouring of support which led to him receiving a new wheelchair from the office of Veterans' Affairs on Tuesday. "It's incredible," he...

Comment

Props to you frost for a feel good post, and props to the guys who fixed it for the vet.

Comment

You have to love how the VA stepped up afterwards and said "Oh shit, bad press. Look! We're doing our job!"

Comment

Originally posted by Forever_frost View Post
                      You have to love how the VA stepped up afterwards and said "Oh shit, bad press. Look! We're doing our job!"
                      it's sad that it has to work that way

Comment

Oh, in other news, the VA says it'll take 17 billion more to fix the issues like this over 3 years.

Comment

Oh, in other news, the VA says it'll take 17 billion more for them to fix a wheelchair.
                          Roger that

Comment

Oh, in other news, the VA says it'll take 17 billion more to fix the issues like this over 3 years.
                            Or $200k, if you take out the government overhead.
                            sigpic18 F150 Supercrew - daily
                            17 F150 Supercrew - totaled Dec 12, 2018
                            13 DIB Premium GT, M6, Track Pack, Glass Roof, Nav, Recaros - Sold
                            86 SVO - Sold
                            '03 F150 Supercrew - Sold
                            01 TJ - new toy - Sold
                            65 F100 (460 + C6) - Sold

Comment

The VAST majority of that is for new buildings and admin. They're only hiring 1,500 new doctors and nurses.

Comment

Working...
                              X