Its depressing how common bad office culture is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Its depressing how common bad office culture is

A bit of background: I work as a Business Analyst in the travel industry, and my company is hiring more and more from a singular source of talent. I work with a bunch of very bright people who are all good to work with, but i have noticed a shift over the past year as we have gone from 30% of our workforce being from this company to around 80% drawing from this company as our culture begins to reflect the changes. A 2 fold increase in project meetings, double the steering committee meetings, growing group-think, and a general lack of our own identity as we adopt the culture of a company roughly 100 times the size of this one. Our office has more VPs, SVPs, EVPs than all other levels of employee combined.

I know that's how things go these days: Do more with less, but its a bit ridiculous you have a SVP only having 2 people report to you, and one of those people was just hired last week! I don't understand how you can do strategic planning when you are mired in the trenches of day to day ops, either.

To me its embarrassing that our office management enthusiastically points to the fact that we have a ping-pong table that the leadership team are a bunch of cool/wacky/creative types that value good employee morale. Such ideas might have been revolutionary in the early 90s but this is sad.

We have had employee outings where the management were too busy to show up, leaving us to pay for ourselves for a mandatory "team building" event. This only has happened once, but i'm sure someone got their ass reamed for that failure.

I'm glad i have great, smart coworkers and most management, but is this how disconnected most managers are to effective office culture? Anyone else in this boat ? Surely plenty.

TLR Version - Too Many Chiefs, not enough indians/ corporate talent pool is running a bit shallow

a ping-pong table isn't gonna help me like the job anymore

Comment

Everyone thinks they are a tech company and needs a free environment from cubicles these days.

Comment

Originally posted by scootro View Post
        a ping-pong table isn't gonna help me like the job anymore
        exactly! Who gives a shit if there is a ping pong table or not, haha!

Comment

Lol at the number of SVPs And VPs. Some companies throw that title out like candy...it's like those Joe blows that start an LLC and give their self the title of CEO thinking they'll somehow move into a c level position at a major employer.

Comment

hey man, at least they didn't take away your coffee, cups, sugar, etc, vending machines in each break room, and plastic ware they used to provide to save like 40 grand a year!

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
              hey man, at least they didn't take away your coffee, cups, sugar, etc, vending machines in each break room, and plastic ware they used to provide to save like 40 grand a year!
              Justifiable for a sub-$1,000,000/per year corporation.

Comment

Justifiable for any company. Better than firing people...

Comment

Originally posted by 03mustangdude View Post
                  Everyone thinks they are a tech company and needs a free environment from cubicles these days.
                  google wannabes

Comment

Originally posted by Ruffdaddy View Post
                    Justifiable for any company. Better than firing people...
                    It's Dell. We can afford coffee

Comment

ours did.
                      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Right around the time it went private?
                        Originally posted by davbrucas
                        I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

The sad thing is most take that coffee money and add it to the someone elses pocket in the company.

Comment

pay me $100,000 a year and i'll buy a new can of coffee for everyone to share each week

Comment

You just need to align yourself with the cross-functional synergy they are aiming to integrate. It's a paradigm shift... keep yourself apprised of the changing tide and develop a robust skillset and see the situation from a 50,000 ft view.

Comment

Working...
                              X