How to get a dealers license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get a dealers license

I want to attend a few auctions this year, but it's my understanding that you need a dealers license. Are some auctions public, and others are dealer only? How does one go about getting a dealers license?

I had mine several years ago and it was pretty easy but my understanding is you have to have a store front these days.

And it's probably been 5-6 years since I attended an auction but back then the public auctions were terrible, even the dealer auctions were getting over-crowded and over bid.

Comment

Originally posted by Treybiz View Post
      I had mine several years ago and it was pretty easy but my understanding is you have to have a store front these days.

And it's probably been 5-6 years since I attended an auction but back then the public auctions were terrible, even the dealer auctions were getting over-crowded and over bid.
      yep, better deals on craigslist.
      "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
        yep, better deals on craigslist.
        this
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

In the last year I've sold 4 out of 5 of the vehicles I've put up for sell to a used car dealer. Apparently auction prices aren't that great. They bought my 06 Dodge Diesel for $600 higher than my best offer on Ebay or Craigslist.

Comment

To expand on this: the auctions have their place, but for the casual one or two a month car flipper, it's not it.

Note lots and used car dealerships can go to one place, buy several, write a check and have a hauler deliver them in a few days. On the other hand, for a dealer to run around on craigslist, dealing with poeple who dont show up, misrepresent the car, dont have good clean titles, etc, will take someone full time driving around with a car hauler.

Given the two options, they can afford to pay a bit more from the auction rather than have a driver burning fuel all over the metroplex with a pocket full of cash.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

There used to be a "Wholesale Only" license that did not require a storefront. But, you could not sell to a retail customer. If you go that route, just find a retail dealer that will make the final sale to the retail customer after you dealer assign or sell it to him. You will have to have an arrangement with the dealer that pays him something. He also gets to make the document fee. Example: You have say $200.00 built into the asking price for him, and he also get the document fee. I think that fee is about $ 20.00

Comment

Bond, storefront, DBA/LLC, 5 spots dedicated to park, affixed signage, hours posted and a few more.

I meet all of these but figured screw it and pass until I had more capital.

Comment

I looked into getting one and even with already having the store front, paved parking, etc at no direct cost to me I decided it wasn't worth it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X