Fence Etiquitte with the neighbors...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fence Etiquitte with the neighbors...

My fence has needed replacing for some time, and I am looking into having it done. The good side of the fence faces me, and the posts are on the other side. I believe it needs 11 panels, plus all new posts. I think technically the fence "owner" is determined by which side it faces, right? But I wasn't sure if there was a percentage of implied responsibility by the party on the other side.

I am currently renting the place out, but have quite a good relationship with the neighbors.

Its a shared expensive its right on the property line

Comment

Our HOA docs says fences are shared 50/50 regardless of who it faces. I know the HOA can't enforce it but I think ours did that to squash any arguments over who pays.

Comment

The 2 houses I've lived in, I asked the neighbors about splitting the cost on shared sides, and they always agreed to it. I don't care if I have the panel side, or the side showing the supports to hold it up. I chose the panel side out here, since I was the first house built so if the neighbors have kids, they can't climb up to peek over the fence as easily.

Comment

I am a little different I guess, I prefer the poles on my side. Its harder for someone to jump into my yard.

Comment

I talked with both of my neighbors about replacing fences, and they both blew me off. Shortly after, they both had their fences replaced, and wouldnt let me pay for my side. Then I found out the reason, they both wanted to have the smooth sides in. Did it all the way around, wouldnt let anyone help with the cost.
            "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
              I am a little different I guess, I prefer the poles on my side. Its harder for someone to jump into my yard.
              x2

Also my parents neighbor went and replace their whole fence then afterwards came to us asking to pay for our side. They laughed and slammed the door.

Comment

Just redid mine with #1 Western Red Cedar on all 3 sides. Neighbors were no help. Said F it and did it on my own. Got tired of looking at a 15 year old white pine POS that was falling down. It was expensive, but a stained WRC fence should outlast me at this point. And yes, they got a free property upgrade.

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                  I talked with both of my neighbors about replacing fences, and they both blew me off. Shortly after, they both had their fences replaced, and wouldnt let me pay for my side. Then I found out the reason, they both wanted to have the smooth sides in. Did it all the way around, wouldnt let anyone help with the cost.
                  You made out like a bandit. Like the few above, I'd rather have the posts on the inside, so outsiders can't climb the fence as easily. I see your situation as a win/win.
                  Originally posted by BradM
                  But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                  Originally posted by Leah
                  In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                    You made out like a bandit. Like the few above, I'd rather have the posts on the inside, so outsiders can't climb the fence as easily. I see your situation as a win/win.
                    I didnt complain. I did get a little pissed at the one on my west side, I wanted to pay their guy to finish out the end of mine so that it would be matching. I asked them for his number, and it was some story about a friend of a friend, I got the guy to give me a price while working on it, and then tried to pay him to do it, but he didnt have time. These folks are nice, but really odd about stuff. They wouldnt give me the yard guy's number either, and he litterally does 10 houses on our street. Not like I cant walk over and talk to him every week, sometimes twice a week.
                    "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Baron Von Crowder View Post
                      I didnt complain. I did get a little pissed at the one on my west side, I wanted to pay their guy to finish out the end of mine so that it would be matching. I asked them for his number, and it was some story about a friend of a friend, I got the guy to give me a price while working on it, and then tried to pay him to do it, but he didnt have time. These folks are nice, but really odd about stuff. They wouldnt give me the yard guy's number either, and he litterally does 10 houses on our street. Not like I cant walk over and talk to him every week, sometimes twice a week.
                      I know that guy, give him a call tonight and tell him Dan Bishop referred you. 817 867-5309

Comment

50/50, unless you could possibly luck out like DJ did...

Comment

I shouldn't have too much trouble with the conversation. They certainly have more class and money than me. I know the fence is an eyesore, and so were the tenants I had to evict a while back. I have a stellar tenant in there now.... so stellar in fact, that he is going to supply the labor and tools, etc. So basically it's a matter of buying the sections of fence.

If anything the neighbors were a bit miffed that I moved out and rented it to some fucksticks that caused some chaos a while back.

Comment

Neighbors used to at least put up a friendly guise, even if they didn't like you. Now it seems like nobody wants to talk to anybody. Every place I have ever lived in a suburb, the neighbors have always come over to knock on the door and introduce themselves, and the first house I buy with my wife, we've seen the neighbors maybe twice and it's because they've almost run me over with their car in the alley while I was edging/trimming the grass.

We are about to need our fence replaced soon, as well, and I don't really want to talk to the neighbors about it. They seem like ass-holes.

Comment

Originally posted by 93LXHORSE View Post
                              If anything the neighbors were a bit miffed that I moved out and rented it to some fucksticks that caused some chaos a while back.

How did you end up getting them out?

Originally posted by Ratt View Post
                              They seem like ass-holes.
                              Your location has a lot to do with that.

My neighbors are awesome. Most of them, anyways. We keep an eye out for each other, help each other, let others know when we see suspicious activity, etc. But I got really lucky. Most people suck these days. So much as offering to help someone opens yourself up to all kinds of liability. Neighbors keeping to themselves are a side effect of the type of society we have allowed America to become.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X