Credit Karma...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GeorgeG. View Post
    Thanks for this post... I've been using one of the paid services like FreeScore as well as Credit Karma. I'll check MyFico.com tomorrow.

It would be nice if there was an easy way to bring a score back into the high 700's. Someone shouldn't have to keep paying for some bad decisions made in your 20's.
    There are ways...

Comment

I locked all my credit reports years ago and stopped worrying about them. I hardly use credit anymore but if I need to, I find what bureau they will pull from(usually Experian) and pay $10 to unlock. I'm not sure TX is a state that allows you to do this however.

Comment

Credit Karma is about 100 points lower than my actual score from MyFICO.

I also noticed last month that my Capital One card offered free credit scoring but when I turned it on, it gave me the exact same score as Credit Karma which means dick. SO if you have a Capital One card, don't trust those numbers either.

Comment

Originally posted by Hmbre97 View Post
          Credit Karma is about 100 points lower than my actual score from MyFICO.

I also noticed last month that my Capital One card offered free credit scoring but when I turned it on, it gave me the exact same score as Credit Karma which means dick. SO if you have a Capital One card, don't trust those numbers either.
          This is the exact same thing I have, they were 100 point to the negative on my score. I dont believe any of those sites now.

Comment

Originally posted by chronical View Post
            There are ways...
            Do tell

Comment

Originally posted by vert_95 View Post
              Do tell

Dispute dispute dispute.

Comment

Originally posted by vert_95 View Post
                Do tell
                while not overly complicated, some of the processes are pretty specific. For an example, you can use hipaa to get a medical collection off after you pay it.

Originally posted by talisman View Post
                Dispute dispute dispute.
                This is the basic idea but there are systematic ways to do it and keep record if it. Plus using the right technique. A blanket "wasn't mine" or "never late" can cause more harm than good. I'm not saying that doesn't work sometimes either

Comment

Credit Karma scored me 21 points below FICO. It's a completely free service. Common sense tells you not to expect 100% accuracy. Therefore, I fail to understand the criticism.

Comment

I use Identity Guard to watch my credit report and get a score when I feel like checking
                    I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

Originally posted by LS1Goat View Post
                      Credit Karma scored me 21 points below FICO. It's a completely free service. Common sense tells you not to expect 100% accuracy. Therefore, I fail to understand the criticism.
                      They sell an option to get the score more frequent. And also it's a coincidence your score is close. As others mentioned, it's not uncommon to be more than 100 points off.

Comment

This is the basic idea but there are systematic ways to do it and keep record if it. Plus using the right technique. A blanket "wasn't mine" or "never late" can cause more harm than good. I'm not saying that doesn't work sometimes either
                        I prefer to show people the good O "pay for delete" or a "validation" letter if in a collection status.

Here are some sample letters as well...

If you’ve chosen to go the do-it-yourself route on credit repair, you’re not alone. The credit bureaus continue to report that most credit report disputes come directly from consumers.

Comment

while not overly complicated, some of the processes are pretty specific. For an example, you can use hipaa to get a medical collection off after you pay it.

Plus using the right technique. A blanket "wasn't mine" or "never late" can cause more harm than good. I'm not saying that doesn't work sometimes either
                          I tried to go on creditboards.com to learn some of these tricks, and there is just so much damn info there, it was overwhelming. It was like trying to get a sip of water through a fire hose.

I use myfico.com, and it costs me about $15/month. I don't mind paying that to know it's accurate.

My score is decent (over 700), but I want it to be excellent as soon as possible. I'm very close to being 100% debt free, with several open accounts that I rarely or never use. I'm not planning to open any new credit any time soon. I naively opened a new account with 0% on transfers a few months ago and moved some of my debt over to that to save interest. I already paid it off, and I should have just kept it where it was, because it brought my average credit age down, probably costing me some points. I learned that too late. The only other negatives on there are two small medical collections that I would gladly pay if I knew they could be easily removed afterwards. Both I disagree with, and already disputed online with the bureaus, but that didn't work. Do you happen to have a link directly to some straightforward advice on this, specifically the medical thing?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Originally posted by stangin4lyfe View Post
                            I prefer to show people the good O "pay for delete" or a "validation" letter if in a collection status.

Here are some sample letters as well...

http://www.creditinfocenter.com/forms/
                            Validations are great. Most people don't know that Texas has some of the most consumer friendly laws on the nation. If a jdb bought a debt for pennies on the dollar, and can't validate the debt, they have no business attempting to collect on it.
                            Pay for deletes are good too as long as it's in writing. A collection company will lie about anything to get you to pay and the payment is the only leverage a consumer has to negotiate a delete.

Comment

Originally posted by jluv View Post
                              I tried to go on creditboards.com to learn some of these tricks, and there is just so much damn info there, it was overwhelming. It was like trying to get a sip of water through a fire hose.

I use myfico.com, and it costs me about $15/month. I don't mind paying that to know it's accurate.

My score is decent (over 700), but I want it to be excellent as soon as possible. I'm very close to being 100% debt free, with several open accounts that I rarely or never use. I'm not planning to open any new credit any time soon. I naively opened a new account with 0% on transfers a few months ago and moved some of my debt over to that to save interest. I already paid it off, and I should have just kept it where it was, because it brought my average credit age down, probably costing me some points. I learned that too late. The only other negatives on there are two small medical collections that I would gladly pay if I knew they could be easily removed afterwards. Both I disagree with, and already disputed online with the bureaus, but that didn't work. Do you happen to have a link directly to some straightforward advice on this, specifically the medical thing?

Thanks in advance!
                              Yes it's called whychat's method. I'll get you a link

Comment

Jluv. http://whychat.5u.com

If you post in the medical collections your own running thread, whychat's will guide step by step on what to do. It's basis is simple, a collection agency doesn't have rights to your medical information (hipaa) unless there is an outstanding debt. There is a ton of info and it's best to address one issue at a time so you should only read in the medical collections forum. Start a thread and don't do anything until whychat gives you the thumbs up. He will go step by step and won't be annoyed by tons of questions. Quite the opposite. If you rush forward and jack it up, he'll wonder why you didn't confirm with him first

Comment

Working...
                                X