Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

On this day, 100 years ago the world changed...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On this day, 100 years ago the world changed...

Austro-Hungarian Archduke Franz Ferdinand was shot and killed by Gavrilo Princip which set off the sequence of events leading to the Great War, or World War I as we know it today. Nearly 38 million people were killed during the conflict and it changed the course of history forever. While the assassination of Archduke Ferdinand was not the only factor determining the start of the war, it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back.
    Originally posted by lincolnboy
    After watching Games of Thrones, makes me glad i was not born in those years.

The gun that was used is probably responsible for more deaths in history than any other individual firearm.
    I don't like Republicans, but I really FUCKING hate Democrats.

Sex with an Asian woman is great, but 30 minutes later you're horny again.

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
      The gun that was used is probably responsible for more deaths in history than any other individual firearm.
      And the book "Silent Spring" is responsible for even more proving that ideas are the most dangerous thing of all.
      Magnus, I am your father. You need to ask your mother about a man named Calvin Klein.

Comment

Originally posted by svo855 View Post
        And the book "Silent Spring" is responsible for even more proving that ideas are the most dangerous thing of all.

Especially if your name is Justin La ckey.

Comment

Thanks for posting this since it seems that yet again many places all over the net tend to gloss over this war. I enjoy the discussion of it occasionally and a couple of the best documentaries on the war (made in England) I bought a number of years ago to make sure I always have something to reference back to because they're so comprehensive.

I suppose the one thing a lot of folks really don't appreciate is that even up until the first couple months of 1918, Germany still had an upper hand strategically in potentially defeating the French. A lot of history books here in America like to stick to the same old mantra that once we got involved then it was all over. That's actually one of the furthest things from the truth. The real cause of German collapse was the same thing men on all sides were suffering from which was severe loss of morale due to the constant artillery barrages and living in trenches for the ridiculous amounts of time they did. German troops essentially caved first and we know the rest.

On the other hand, if German morale could have been sustained, they could have easily held their lines against combined French, English and American assaults due to the heavy reinforcements brought in from the east.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by LANTIRN View Post
              And it was made by an American, John Moses Browning.
              "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
              "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Working...
              X