Real Maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Real Maps

By real, I mean the 10 footers that can double as a shade screen. When was the last time you guys used one? Siri has been my friend for a while but I did some hiking with the kids recently that restored my faith in my ability to read a map and shoot a bearing.
    The richest man in Babylon

Originally posted by trblshooter View Post
    By real, I mean the 10 footers that can double as a shade screen. When was the last time you guys used one? Siri has been my friend for a while but I did some hiking with the kids recently that restored my faith in my ability to read a map and shoot a bearing.
    I deal with maps constantly. And I don't travel. Lol

Comment

ZOMBIE REAGAN FOR PRESIDENT 2016!!! heh

Comment

Hey make fun all you want but this will soon be a lost art like tuning a carburetor or writing in cursive.

Comment

I'm not making fun, I work with property tax maps all day. I love maps.

Comment

I keep a mapsco(sp) in the truck at all times. GPS and google are great, when they work, but a paper map has never failed me
            07 f250-family truckster
            08 Denali -baby hauler
            52 f1-rust bucket
            05 Jeep tj. Buggy
            livin the double-wide dream

Comment

On most of todays highways. Phone or gps. As soon as i leave a road or go into heavily wooded area's Give me the old 100 fold paper map.

Im sure the better gps made for outdoors stuff are nice, but i cant afford one and maps are cheap. IT was fun to hit a new state and get a paper map back in the day.

Comment

Always google. Save maps to phone for all of texas so I dont even have to have signal to use them.

Comment

Originally posted by whitetrash View Post
                  I keep a mapsco(sp) in the truck at all times. GPS and google are great, when they work, but a paper map has never failed me
                  Same here. I have my tablet, gps and mapsco
                  I wear a Fez. Fez-es are cool

Comment

I remember back when I was a kid in the 80's, traveling cross country on summer vacations and depending on a big State Farm map that my dad would get every year for free. I was the navigator on a lot of those trips and a couple of times getting lost by accident inadvertently showed us some beautiful parts of the country.

In the 90's I started doing some long trips by myself and similarly depended on maps to get me from point a to point b. Later in the 90's I switched to printed out maps from Yahoo and such downloaded from the internet. Now a days I don't know if I cold go back to printed maps and wouldn't want to travel without my GPS or smart phone.

Definitely navigation by maps, IMO, is a dying art. I would really like to be able to learn to navigate long distances when I hike but need to get some good maps before doing so.

Comment

Ya but it seems like they are only good for a few years until new construction in the metroplex renders some navigation difficult.

Comment

Rabbit: Look, all I'm saying is don't fold the maps.
                        Allan Sanders: I didn't fold the maps.
                        Rabbit: Yeah, well Kansas is a mess, there's a big crease right through Wichita. ROLL the maps.
                        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by trblshooter View Post
                          Hey make fun all you want but this will soon be a lost art like tuning a carburetor or writing in cursive.
                          Originally posted by Sleeper View Post
                          On most of todays highways. Phone or gps. As soon as i leave a road or go into heavily wooded area's Give me the old 100 fold paper map.

Im sure the better gps made for outdoors stuff are nice, but i cant afford one and maps are cheap. IT was fun to hit a new state and get a paper map back in the day.
                          Go into the boonies of Co. and North N.M. as in hiking and see where your GPS leads you too. Map and compass Boy Scout.

or your battery dies ect.

And I think 1 out of 8 Goggle maps or Map Quest sends you too the wrong place.

Comment

For old school road maps, county 911 maps were among the best.

Comment

Originally posted by Kart21 View Post
                              Go into the boonies of Co. and North N.M. as in hiking and see where your GPS leads you too. Map and compass Boy Scout.
                              That's actually where I learned to shoot a bearing, Philmont Scout Ranch.

Comment

Working...
                              X