Mountain biker last seen at Northshore missing since Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mountain biker last seen at Northshore missing since Saturday

I didn't see any other posts on this. I've been following the updates on DORBA. This freaks me out because I'll ride solo a lot and never really considered the dangers of ending up alone with a head injury.

Search for Missing Bicyclist Underway at Lake Grapevine

Authorities from several agencies are searching for a missing bicyclist on the trails at Lake Grapevine's Murrell Park.

Flower Mound police say 30-year-old Wesley Andrew Hixson, of Roanoke, got separated from his riding partner on the North Shore Trial, he was last seen at 10 a.m. Saturday.

"This trail is so rugged you can be riding with someone and be separated from them because of the windy up and down turns," said Flower Mound Police Capt. Richards Brooks.

Police say Hixson crashed his mountain bike prior to getting separated and may have suffered a head injury and could be disoriented somewhere along the 23-mile bike trail.

"This is rough rugged terrain," said Brooks. "The back trail is densely covered, [there's] a lot of rock and a lot of changes in elevation. It's a difficult area to search."

Hundreds of volunteers and several emergency agencies joined the search, including more than 100 Arlington firefighters. Many of them were off-duty and came to support one of their own. Hixson's father is a veteran firefighter with the department.

"It's emotionally draining and you see it," said Lt. Lee Tovar with the Arlington Fire Department. "But we're here for him, everyone is here for him."

Crews searched through 39 square miles of wet and muddy terrain, while not giving up hope.

"Right now we're searching everywhere," said Tovar. "We''re not leaving any space behind. We don't know what happened. We don't know where he’s at."

Bike patrol officers, boats, the Texas Department of Public Safety helicopter, Flower Mound police and fire personnel as well as Texas Parks and Wildlife life personnel and K9 teams have been searching the area for a day and a half.

Hixson's vehicle, with his cell phone inside, was located at Rockledge Park, according to Flower Mound police.

Hixson was last seen wearing a black t-shirt, black shorts, a black helmet and sunglasses.

Anyone with information on Hixson's whereabouts is asked to call 972-539-0525.

NBC 5's Johnny Archer contributed to this report.

Authorities from several agencies are searching for a missing bicyclist on the trails at Lake Grapevine’s Murrell Park.

Wow, that is pretty scary I always figured if I got hurt the next person coming down the trail would find me. Never considered being disoriented and wondering off.

The only place I have ever rode where I had a fear of the possibility of getting lost was down at Big Bend State Park.

Comment

Damn this is terrible I hope they can help him

Comment

I'm just an amateur and have ridden alone a few times. My biggest fear was crashing my shoulder into a tree. Now that I am on blood thinners I make sure I have a first aid kit and a buddy to ride with.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
          Wow, that is pretty scary I always figured if I got hurt the next person coming down the trail would find me. Never considered being disoriented and wondering off.

The only place I have ever rode where I had a fear of the possibility of getting lost was down at Big Bend State Park.
          When I was a bigger boy, I decided I was going to go out to Joe Pool and get a little exercise. Well I rode when I was younger so how hard could it be to ride a few trails ehh? It was a lovely 100 plus day in Texas when I started my trek. I thought I was going to die about half way through one of the trails. I actually laid down once from exhaustion and heat. What was funny though was a nice gentleman came up and gave me some water and asked if I was ok. This was the only other person I saw on the trail the whole time. I was like yeah and I will be even better when I get off this trail. As I walked out at the end of the trail I heard a helicopter going up. It appeared to go up and then immediately set back down, like oh look he's alive just set her back down. I have not been back since I got in shape but have rode a few others, I need to go give it a try. I can't imagine having a head injury and riding out.
          Whos your Daddy?

Comment

My buddy was riding with him, he has been involved with the search team as well as some other friends. Unfortunately I am out of town, I would love to help.
            2006 Civic SI
            2009 Pilot
            1988 GT
            CRF50

Widebody whore.

Comment

Damn it... is there any update on this?

Comment

I got lost on those abandoned roads around the trail once. I can see how he could of gotten on one of those abandoned roads to try and get back to his vehicle and then wrecked again/collapsed on what he mistook for a trail. It would be very difficult to locate him there

Comment

That trail has some tricky spots where you could end up in a ravine or even in the lake

Comment

The search has been suspended. Unofficial news they found a body.

Comment

damn
                      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

Originally posted by Shorty View Post
                        The search has been suspended. Unofficial news they found a body.
                        Fox 4 is now confirming he is deceased.

*edit* Flower Mound PD Release: "On June 23, the Flower Mound Police Department located the body of a male subject in a ravine northeast of Twin Coves Marina. The body has been unofficially identified as Wesley Andrew Hixxon, who was reported missing on June 21 at 1:40 PM.

Hixson a Roanoke, Texas resident was last seen at 10 a.m. when he separated from his riding partner on the trails. According to Hixson's riding group he had a crash on his bike prior to the separation and may have suffered a head injury. Mr. Hixson's body will be transported to the Tarrant County Medical Examiner's Office to further determine the cause of death."
                        Last edited by Shorty; 06-23-2014, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Comment

That sucks. RIP
                            Whos your Daddy?

Comment

Damn, that really sucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X