No announcement yet.

Tax appraisal protest...where to begin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tax appraisal protest...where to begin?

Slipped my mind. Property tax appraisal has increased nearly $20k. The total is about what I owe on the property. The real estate appraisal was about $25k more than what I owe, though I don't know how much faith I have that anyone would actually pay that.

Nonetheless, if I want to protest this years appraisal, where do I even begin? I suppose comparing with other homes near me sold for, but they are so widely varied in size, quality, and land. Any tips?

Mine went up $30k this year. Contemplated protesting then realized my taxes only went up a couple hundred for the year. Do not have any facts to prove my case so figured I would leave it alone.....

Comment

Mine went up 20k as well, but it is still below what anything similar in my neighborhood has been selling for, so I doubt they will do anything if I complain. Everyone I have talked to around here saw about a 10% increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopped54 View Post
        Mine went up $30k this year. Contemplated protesting then realized my taxes only went up a couple hundred for the year. Do not have any facts to prove my case so figured I would leave it alone.....
        You're in Rockwall too as I recall? Yeah, that's where I'm at. I don't think I necessarily have any facts to dispute it.

Comment

went up 20% still less than what its worth so i'm happy.

Comment

Mine went up an insane amount, going to increase my tax bill by a few thousand, but I just bought it so I am pretty sure I'm just stuck with it.
            Originally posted by davbrucas
            I want to like Slow99 since people I know say he's a good guy, but just about everything he posts is condescending and passive aggressive.

Most people I talk to have nothing but good things to say about you, but you sure come across as a condescending prick. Do you have an inferiority complex you've attempted to overcome through overachievement? Or were you fondled as a child?

You and slow99 should date. You both have passive aggressiveness down pat.

Comment

Friend of mine did his a few years ago. He took pictures of any "bad" area on his house, like cracks in the mortar or walls, rotten wood fence posts, old shingles, etc and took it in and filed some form, and got a reduction. It may be worthwhile to get one of those home tax deduction companies invloved, if it is an expensive house. Another friend used one, I think he paid $300 or $400 bucks, but got his reduced a \pretty good chunk.

Check the county's tax collector website, they may have some forms or steps to start the process.

Edit: Tarrant County has this on line:

Comment

Always protest it. They are so swamped with protests right now that they will offer a slight deduction just to get rid of you.
                Originally posted by racrguy
                What's your beef with NPR, because their listeners are typically more informed than others?
                Originally posted by racrguy
                Voting is a constitutional right, overthrowing the government isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank View Post
                  You're in Rockwall too as I recall? Yeah, that's where I'm at. I don't think I necessarily have any facts to dispute it.
                  Yeah I am in Rockwall. They also have my shop listed as 600 square feet so I do not want to push my luck....

Comment

Originally posted by slow99 View Post
                    Mine went up an insane amount, going to increase my tax bill by a few thousand, but I just bought it so I am pretty sure I'm just stuck with it.
                    My mom lives over in your area. She had a huge increase and disputed it. They replied almost immediately and reduced it.

Comment

When I had rental houses I would protest the tax value. Bring paperwork showing what you paid for it and what houses are selling for in the area. Take pics too if you have some parts of the house that need work.

If houses in the area are selling for equal too or more than what they have it valued at you won't have much of a leg to stand on. If you bought the house 2yrs ago for 60k and now they're saying it's worth 120k you can def contest that. I've always had them knock it down some so as it reduced the taxes I had to pay around $300-400

Comment

I think I have to have it post marked by June 1st so I guess any effort is worthwhile. Worst they can say is "no" I suppose.

Comment

Mine is up $43k in the last two years on a house I paid $170 (foreclosure) for 2 years ago. I talked to my aunt (my real estate agent) and had her run comps in my area. She said I could sell my house for about $230k next week no problem, not much of a case to fight it.
                          Originally posted by stevo
                          Not a good idea to go Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor on the power phallus.

Stevo

Comment

Originally posted by bird_dog0347 View Post
                            Mine is up $43k in the last two years on a house I paid $170 (foreclosure) for 2 years ago. I talked to my aunt (my real estate agent) and had her run comps in my area. She said I could sell my house for about $230k next week no problem, not much of a case to fight it.
                            pretty much my same thought process.

We are all getting hammered because of the hot real estate market.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncojohnny View Post
                              Always protest it. They are so swamped with protests right now that they will offer a slight deduction just to get rid of you.
                              Exactamundo. If you know a realator you can get a comparison report for your area and see how far off they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X