• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Road Warriors...best points programs

AA Advantage - decent
    HHonors - blows
    Club Carlson - ok

I hear Holiday Inn is really good from other guys in my company but haven't been able to stay with them yet.

I used some Hilton points last weekend to stay at the harbor in Rockwall and it was 40k points for a shitty handicap room with no lake view. I was deeply disappointed.
    The richest man in Babylon

I will let my wife know about the Hilton honors. She takes reservations for them.

Comment

Originally posted by mstng86 View Post
      I will let my wife know about the Hilton honors. She takes reservations for them.
      I love that hotel. Whenever I can the kids and I will stay there. It's a little getaway 10 mins from the house. The pool rocks and we like the breakfast buffet.

Comment

Marriott Rewards is not too bad. Depending on where you stay, you get a free night for every 5 to 10 nights stays. They do it on a points basis so your mileage will vary. I spent a year basically living at a Marriot in NYC. I was able to take my wife and daughter on three two-week trips to Europe with AA and Marriot points. (London, Paris, Rome).

Comment

AA for flights for me

Hilton Honors is good depending on level, just like with anyone. A phone call to the hotline will usually grease the wheel

Starwood and Fairmont treat me right for vacations though.

Comment

US Airways Dividend is the best in my experience. Anytime I fly American I use my US rewards number.

Hilton Honors is not bad once you hit Diamond because you get a decent points bonus.

Holiday Inn is pretty good but I rarely stay with them.

Hertz for rental cars is who I use. Once you reach presidents circle they tend to automatically upgrade you into a larger vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by irbs View Post
              Hertz for rental cars is who I use. Once you reach presidents circle they tend to automatically upgrade you into a larger vehicle.

And this. Hertz gold, prestige collection and you can't go wrong. Everyone so often they have a promo that if you rent prestige they will auto enroll you in Gold for life with no membership fees.

Comment

Originally posted by AdamLX View Post
                AA for flights for me

Hilton Honors is good depending on level, just like with anyone. A phone call to the hotline will usually grease the wheel

Starwood and Fairmont treat me right for vacations though.
                The last time I spoke with a live person making a reservation at a Hilton the gates opened and manna fell from the heavens. They offer a lot more than what is advertised on the website. My company uses a third party to make travel arrangements. Wow I completely forgot about that until now, I'll try and do what I can over the phone from now on.

I hit diamond status my last trip which is why I was disappointed when I used points for a stay. Figured I would at least get valet compd. or a room with a view.

Comment

Originally posted by S_K View Post
                  Marriott Rewards is not too bad. Depending on where you stay, you get a free night for every 5 to 10 nights stays. They do it on a points basis so your mileage will vary. I spent a year basically living at a Marriot in NYC. I was able to take my wife and daughter on three two-week trips to Europe with AA and Marriot points. (London, Paris, Rome).
                  I like Marriott too. Best part is, you can use your points for anything out of their catalog. I got a free 61" Samsung LED from them last year. I already have another 600k points, thinking of getting another TV this year.

Comment

We use enterprise and I get upgrades to a SUV... sometimes a full size if they have one available.

Comment

IHG, it's the one Holiday Inn, Candlewood Suites, Staybridge and several others use. Can use your points for free stays, flights, rental cars, gifts, all kinds of stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by fastwhite99gt View Post
                        IHG, it's the one Holiday Inn, Candlewood Suites, Staybridge and several others use. Can use your points for free stays, flights, rental cars, gifts, all kinds of stuff.
                        x2. This is what I do.

Comment

AA obviously in DFW... I want my EXP status back, that shit is NICE...

I use Hertz and am Presidents Circle. True, the upgrades are nice and usually hit or miss depending on location. It's the only one I've ever used so I can't benchmark against other car companies.

Currently I'm Hilton gold, soon to be Diamond. I was Marriott platinum for several years until I got fed of with staying in dated hotels so I made the switch this year to Hilton. I think they are comparable however I'm enjoying Hilton a bit more.

I'm also racking up more points on HHonors than Marriott offered but they require more so it's a wash.

Comment

Hilton, because my FIL is an exec there.
                            Ded

Comment

HH here too. I compared it to Marriott when I signed up and it's a wash. With HH you accumulate points faster but stays cost more. MR points build slower but stays are fewer points. What swayed me was being able to double dip and get AA mileage too. It's not much but it was enough to make me pick Hilton. Once you reach Diamond status, you'll be able to take advantage of 2X-4X points promotions. I usually earn a couple of weeks worth of free hotel stays a year. Depending on which property Diamond members stay at, you'll get a few other perks like valet parking for the same price as self parking, access to concierge lounge, free room upgrades, free breakfast at the more upscale hotels, etc. You'll be surprised at what you can get by just asking too.

Comment

Working...
                              X