Pits or Lifts - shop guys in here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pits or Lifts - shop guys in here

I'm setting up a shop to run inspections on new school buses. I've got quotes for both pits and lifts to be installed (3). Initial cost is relatively the same but you pay more for the lifts in the long run with maintenance as well as the time it takes to raise and lower a vehicle (labor cost). This is a timed inspection

I have experience with lifts and I like them because you have a broader area to work under a truck as well as eliminating the safety factor of someone not paying attention and falling into a pit. But the cost savings can't be ignored.

What do you guys think?
    The richest man in Babylon

Lift for the very reasons you stated.
    07 f250-family truckster
    08 Denali -baby hauler
    52 f1-rust bucket
    05 Jeep tj. Buggy
    livin the double-wide dream

Comment

why not a combo of both?

Comment

Pit, if you are moving them in and out frequently, and are doing mainly a visual or light mechanical inspection.
        "If I asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses." - Henry Ford

Comment

A pit could double as a tornado shelter.
          Originally posted by MR EDD
          U defend him who use's racial slurs like hes drinking water.

Comment

If you are talking about a big school bus a pit is definitely the way to go. You can put a sliding suspension lift system like on an alignment rack if you have to pull wheels/tires for any reason. You can get do a sliding grate if safety is a concern. I'm talking about a pit like Jiffy Lube uses, where you drive over it all the way. The old school alignment rack pits are way too much of a liability, we used to have one at Hudiburg and the guys would forget to pin the wheel plates, which would break them and you end up with a bus nose diving into your pit.

Comment

This is the lift that would be installed, 42ft drive on drive off, no backing up. We aren't doing any repairs, final quality inspection only

Comment

Originally posted by BP View Post
                If you are talking about a big school bus a pit is definitely the way to go. You can put a sliding suspension lift system like on an alignment rack if you have to pull wheels/tires for any reason. You can get do a sliding grate if safety is a concern. I'm talking about a pit like Jiffy Lube uses, where you drive over it all the way. The old school alignment rack pits are way too much of a liability, we used to have one at Hudiburg and the guys would forget to pin the wheel plates, which would break them and you end up with a bus nose diving into your pit.
                It would be a relatively long pit. Dimensions: 38"W 45"D 41'L

Comment

If its just for visual inspection pit.

Comment

Just for visual inspections, a pit seems much more efficient

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                      Just for visual inspections, a pit seems much more efficient
                      I have a friend who had some, they ended up filling with water over and over until he just filled them in. That's another consideration.
                      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
                      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

that lift will eat your time raising up? go with a pit.
                        Fuck you. We're going to Costco.

Comment

Working...
                        X