Co-owner of restaurant tells 911 not to send police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Co-owner of restaurant tells 911 not to send police

SOUTHEAST PORTLAND, Ore. - A business co-owner called 911 about a potentially deadly situation at a restaurant, and told the dispatcher not to send police. It happened at the Red & Black Cafe on Southeast 12th Avenue Thursday afternoon.

Police say John Langley, a co-owner of the restaurant, was standing out on the sidewalk with his arms crossed. They say a man inside was suffering from a heroin overdose.

"We don't allow police in here so we can totally accommodate the fire department and other emergency personnel,” Langley told a 911 dispatcher, “Not police, though."

“I'm required to send everybody," the dispatcher said.

“OK, well, if the police try and come in here,” Langley replied, “There's gonna be another problem."

Langley says he found a man curled up in the bathroom and barely breathing.

"The person was slumped against the wall and I was scared that they were dying or dead maybe,” Langley said.

He says paramedics arrived quickly and went inside to treat the man.

“So the officers talked with medical personnel and said really it's your call,” said Sgt. Pete Simpson, a spokesman for the Portland Police Bureau. “If you want us to come in with you, we will come in."

Simpson says officers were alarmed by the situation.

"It actually generated more of a police response than it normally would have because you know, we're going to an unknown situation with a person potentially overdosing on heroin in a bathroom," Simpson said.

“Definitely the EMTs and the ambulance driver could've handled it,” Langley said. “I kind of feel like I don't know what they were doing there except maybe waiting to see if they could bust the person on something, and I'm not down with that."

The victim was not arrested, nor is he facing any charges. He was taken to the hospital, where he was treated and released.

Simpson says the officers would have been well within their rights to enter the business if necessary.

Langley describes himself as a homeless advocate and anarchist. He has a history of not allowing police into the restaurant. He made headlines back in 2010 for asking an officer to leave after he bought a cup of coffee.

I guess this guy wants his customers to do drugs and not get "bothered" by police.

So you're just going to post benign uninteresting cop stories from here on out?

Comment

You ever get tired of this childish back and forth?
      "When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." -Benjamin Franklin
      "A democracy will continue to exist up until the time that voters discover that they can vote themselves generous gifts from the public treasury." -Alexander Fraser Tytler

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post
        i can honestly say i do not.

god bless.
        It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by CJ View Post

I get tired of stupidity, and he is obviously fishing for it, if that's directed solely at me. I'd rather get it out of the way before he posts 18 more "Cop does their job" stories that no one gives a fuck about.

Comment

Originally posted by talisman View Post
            I get tired of stupidity, and he is obviously fishing for it, if that's directed solely at me. I'd rather get it out of the way before he posts 18 more "Cop does their job" stories that no one gives a fuck about.
            Or better yet, 18 "cops who aren't doing their jobs" that Frost posts?

<-- wants back the old board, cause this one is starting to suck...

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post

Eh bien, au revoir.
              Originally posted by talisman
              I wonder if there will be a new character that specializes in bjj and passive agressive comebacks?
              Originally posted by AdamLX
              If there was, I wouldn't pick it because it would probably just keep leaving the game and then coming back like nothing happened.
              Originally posted by Broncojohnny
              Because fuck you, that's why
              Originally posted by 80coupe
              nice dick, Idrivea4banger
              Originally posted by Rick Modena
              ......and idrivea4banger is a real person.
              Originally posted by Jester
              Man ive always wanted to smoke a bowl with you. Just seem like a cool cat.

Comment

I've never seen Frost post 4 in one day, and he certainly isn't doing it to inflate his own ego and pat himself on the back.

This just in: Gas station attendant sells cup of coffee to customer. Film at 11!

Comment

We need to hear the junkie's side of the story.

Comment

Things evolve, no way around it.

Comment

I can kinda agree with this.

Comment

Yep

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          Yep
                          Me to. I don't care what your personal beef is. Air it out somewhere else.

Comment

Of course you would think it's directed at you, but it's not.

It's easier to paint a picture when it comes from a source other than me.

You can always take your own advice and "not click on it"...

Comment

I've never seen Frost post 4 in one day, and he certainly isn't doing it to inflate his own ego and pat himself on the back.

This just in: Gas station attendant sells cup of coffee to customer. Film at 11!
                              He is equally guilty with the petty back and forth. I think it's obvious that some of his threads are just trolling for a reaction.

Comment

Working...
                              X