Waitstaff rant - the tip thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
    Today, I found that the chick at Buffalo Wild Wings added an extra dollar to the 20% tip I left her earlier this month. I've never taken action before, but I'm tired of being ripped off one or two dollars at a time.
    Go in make the same order from the same girl and subtract a dollar and some change from the bill. Make a note on the receipt so she can tell the manager why she was short and has to pay from her own pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
      Go in make the same order from the same girl and subtract a dollar and some change from the bill. Make a note on the receipt so she can tell the manager why she was short and has to pay from her own pocket.
      good idea in theory but the manager would never know that's not how it works.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustangman_2000 View Post
        quite being such a cheapskate. these people make shit per hour. their tips is their bread and butter.
        You're an idiot, I've been a waiter and never once stole money by increasing the tip on a card. I only worked at one restaurant (for 4 years) and it wasn't a high end place by any means, on a bad night I would still make $15 an hour. So saying waiters don't make shit an hour is just a bullshit excuse for stealing plain an simple. I usually worked 5 hours and made between $75-125 a night, plus $2 something an hour. On top of that, the way ours worked I actually spent more on car payments one year than my W-2 showed that I had made so add another 20+% an hour since most is tax free.
        Last edited by GrayStangGT; 01-31-2011, 06:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
          that's why I pay cash at restaurants
          yep.

Comment

The BWW in Moore, OK did the same thing to me.
            The dumbass tried to add $10 but used a different color pen.

I was a server for a few years, You can tell when someone is trying to screw you and when they made an "honest mistake" adding a 1 in front of a 9 and changing a 5 to a 6 is pretty blatant.
            Last edited by Mike; 01-31-2011, 08:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_92_Notch View Post
              LMAO - I hope you're kidding. It's not my sole responsibility to make sure my waiter clears $30 per hour. I tipped $4 on a $20 tab and I was one of several tables she was working. Most of the tables had more than two people and I doubt they split meals like my wife and I do, meaning the waitress should pretty easily make $20 to $30 per hour in tips. Be damned if I'm gonna feel sorry for her and accept the fact that she stole $1 from me.
              you're cheap LOL. you guys take a 2 top but only order for 1, and therefore tip for one. but i'm sure you both wanted your drinks refilled etc..right? You need to tip for 2 people and stop being a tight ass. That said, your cheapassness is no excuse for theft.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayStangGT View Post
                Your an idiot, I've been a waiter and never once stole money by increasing the tip on a card. I only worked at one restaurant (for 4 years) and it wasn't a high end place by any means, on a bad night I would still make $15 an hour. So saying waiters don't make shit an hour is just a bullshit excuse for stealing plain an simple. I usually worked 5 hours and made between $75-125 a night, plus $2 something an hour. On top of that, the way ours worked I actually spent more on car payments one year than my W-2 showed that I had made so add another 20+% an hour since most is tax free.
                I love when people type "YOUR an idiot" it makes me LOL

he was saying that they are paid shit BY THE RESTAURANT, and rely on their tips to make a living.

Comment

Back in my food service days they drilled it pretty hard into us and I was too scared to ever think to do it. However...the waiters get shafted just the same...

Sometimes people on a $20.00 check would write a $5.00 tip and put the final value as $20.00. So because people are in too much of a hurry or too damn stupid to do the math...we get $0.

Other people would write the tip and final value on the copy they put in their wallet and take with them...but we were allowed to use the indentation the pen makes on the receipt under it as proof enough...IF they wrote with the 2nd receipt under it.
                  2004 Z06 Commemorative Ed.

Comment

Originally posted by mschmoyer View Post
                    Back in my food service days they drilled it pretty hard into us and I was too scared to ever think to do it. However...the waiters get shafted just the same...

Sometimes people on a $20.00 check would write a $5.00 tip and put the final value as $20.00. So because people are in too much of a hurry or too damn stupid to do the math...we get $0.

Other people would write the tip and final value on the copy they put in their wallet and take with them...but we were allowed to use the indentation the pen makes on the receipt under it as proof enough...IF they wrote with the 2nd receipt under it.

THIS!!! And it happens a lot more than you might think. I'd say 40% of the time, one of the above happens. And I have seen, and caught people doing that shit on purpose. The world is full of shitty people.
                    Originally posted by BradM
                    But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                    Originally posted by Leah
                    In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Raskal View Post
                      Not saying it didn't happen on purpose but I have been in the industry a long time and have yet to see someone risk credit card fraud for just a dollar.. The scams do exist but for a dollar? Micros have it set up best imho. When finalizing a credit card it asks for the total then has a screen that pops up and says is this the tip amount... any decent server will look down and see if the numbers match before entering yes.. obviously if they don't match then you have the lil moral situation as far as what was intended and what was written.
                      Exactly, why would anyone try to rip you off for a dollar? Most waiters aren' the most intelligent members of society, but as a former waiter I would be shocked if anyone would be willing to risk their job over a fucking dollar.

I still think its hilarious the op ranted and raved to have this girl fired and even turned down free food over a dollar. Some people just don't get it.

Comment

Originally posted by Pro88LX View Post
                        you're cheap LOL. you guys take a 2 top but only order for 1, and therefore tip for one. but i'm sure you both wanted your drinks refilled etc..right? You need to tip for 2 people and stop being a tight ass. That said, your cheapassness is no excuse for theft.
                        I get your drift - but the only thing we split was the entree. We bought 2 sides and 2 drinks and split one order of 12 wings. The bill was still just over $20 for two people to eat lunch. I don't consider that cheap.

Should we have each ordered a big plate of wings and left half of it on the table, just so the waitress could make another $1 on her tip?

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                          Exactly, why would anyone try to rip you off for a dollar? Most waiters aren' the most intelligent members of society, but as a former waiter I would be shocked if anyone would be willing to risk their job over a fucking dollar.

I still think its hilarious the op ranted and raved to have this girl fired and even turned down free food over a dollar. Some people just don't get it.
                          There was no ranting or raving. What took place was a very courteous conversation between two rational adults. We even laughed about it. I told him I wasn't worried about the dollar, just the fact that he needs to watch his waitress to be sure she's not skimming a lot of his customers. Were I petty and cheap, I would've jumped at the refund or free meal he offered - I refused both. And I never said a word to him about firing his waitress - that was part of my rant on here.

All I said to him was that I wished he would hold her accountable - he insisted it was a mistake and kept offering me free stuff. I turned him down and hung up the phone.

And no, you don't get it.

Comment

i'll give you $10 to shut the fuck up about a $1

god bless.
                            It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men -Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by ELVIS View Post
                              i'll give you $10 to shut the fuck up about a $1

god bless.
                              I'll give him $20 to keep annoying you.
                              Originally posted by BradM
                              But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
                              Originally posted by Leah
                              In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by bcoop View Post
                                I'll give him $20 to keep annoying you.

I see Brents $20 and raise him my prized button collection and a first hand account of the treehouse incident.

Comment

Working...
                                X