Waitstaff rant - the tip thieves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cooter View Post
    because it's not like it's the first time a waiter/waitress has ever pulled that BS
    If that's the case then I already said she should be taken care of. But to assume I don't think it is right. The manager called back in three minutes saying she made a mistake on two cards. Sounds more like he made up some random excuse. I can't walk from the front of my building at work to my office in 3 minutes let alone find records.
    Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
    Don't Fuck with DFWmustangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.

Comment

Originally posted by 347Mike View Post
      If that's the case then I already said she should be taken care of. But to assume I don't think it is right. The manager called back in three minutes saying she made a mistake on two cards. Sounds more like he made up some random excuse. I can't walk from the front of my building at work to my office in 3 minutes let alone find records.
      unless somebody else complained?

the point is, the shit happens ALL THE TIME. if you've never checked your receipts, it's probably happened to you
      http://www.truthcontest.com/entries/...iversal-truth/

Comment

This has only happened to me 1time and it was for a dollar extra.

At the end of a servers shift the manager should add all of the tips up to make sure they match the checkout. Where i work we have our computers set up to see the tip on each check when they do their checkout.. we rarely get any calls.
        "PSH!!!"

Comment

I eat out constantly, and this has NEVER happened to me.
          Originally posted by BradM
          But, just like condoms and women's rights, I don't believe in them.
          Originally posted by Leah
          In other news: Brent's meat melts in your mouth.

Comment

as the son of a restaurant owner and as someone who has been the GM of a restaurant, let me give you my two cents...

she very well may be doing this on purpose, and if that is the case she should be terminated. quickly...

on the flip side, sometimes at the end of a shift when a server goes to put the credit card tips into the restaurant's point-of-sale system, she may have upwards of 25 credit card slips to go back in and add the tips to. say the tip amount on your slip was $20, and the very next one was $21, she may have just gotten them mixed up. that being said, as the GM and the one who took the money and credit card slips that the servers turned in, it was my job to check each and every slip and cross reference the tips on them with the tips she entered, which are on her check-out slip. this is not always fool-proof, but does provide something of a safety net and should be standard practice...

but i will say that it is good on you that you keep an eye on your money. i do the same...

Comment

I still don't see why we need to tip. Fuck it.
              www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Originally posted by mustangguy289 View Post
                are you black?

Comment

Look at it this way: if you didn't have to tip then the businesses would have to pay their employees better and they would jack up the rates on all of the food. Wouldn't you rather have some say in how much your server deserves to earn?

And I guarantee you that the increase in food price would be much greater than the amount you pay in tips because the employees then have to be compensated for the hours of dead time they spend waiting for it to get busy.

Comment

I'd take the free food fosho. I also wouldn't have gotten so butthurt over a dollar though. Lulz.

Comment

waiters/waitresses make like $2/hr. If you're not going to tip, don't eat out, it's bad karma.

Comment

I'm not a food server, but a bartender. I work 2 nights a week at a local club/music venue I used to run. We make 2.13 an hour. Try standing there for 3 hours, busting your tail, serving 200+ patrons, and walk out with less than minimum wage.

What REALLY irks me, is when I serve fellow wait staff. There is a guy who comes in who works at one of the busiest mexican food restaurants in the area. He NEVER tips. EVER. Wait, he left 18 cents one time.

TIPS, To Insure Professional Service.
                        Best balls I've had in my mouth in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyMCev View Post
                          as the son of a restaurant owner and as someone who has been the GM of a restaurant, let me give you my two cents...

she very well may be doing this on purpose, and if that is the case she should be terminated. quickly...

on the flip side, sometimes at the end of a shift when a server goes to put the credit card tips into the restaurant's point-of-sale system, she may have upwards of 25 credit card slips to go back in and add the tips to. say the tip amount on your slip was $20, and the very next one was $21, she may have just gotten them mixed up. that being said, as the GM and the one who took the money and credit card slips that the servers turned in, it was my job to check each and every slip and cross reference the tips on them with the tips she entered, which are on her check-out slip. this is not always fool-proof, but does provide something of a safety net and should be standard practice...

but i will say that it is good on you that you keep an eye on your money. i do the same...

Yeah most places have them reconciled by a member of management while they are doing a checkout... Add to that the huge amount of people that can not add.. ie... 36.42 +8=42.42 and shit like that... Servers would get upset with me when I made them go by the total amount. But usually just sighed and walked away when I explained that 42.42 is the amount Joe Blow is expecting to see on their statement next month so to avoid any charge backs that's the number you need to put.

Comment

Originally posted by Taylor View Post
                            I'd take the free food fosho. I also wouldn't have gotten so butthurt over a dollar though. Lulz.
                            Its not about the dollar. Its about the principal and moral issue of the matter. 20% is a decent tip amount on any check. She felt like she deserved more and altered the amount.

Comment

Originally posted by Raskal View Post
                              Yeah most places have them reconciled by a member of management while they are doing a checkout... Add to that the huge amount of people that can not add.. ie... 36.42 +8=42.42 and shit like that... Servers would get upset with me when I made them go by the total amount. But usually just sighed and walked away when I explained that 42.42 is the amount Joe Blow is expecting to see on their statement next month so to avoid any charge backs that's the number you need to put.
                              I settle my own credit cards at the end of every night, and a lot of times, the credit card slips at the main bar. This sometimes equals 100 slips. I ALWAYS go by the total amount left by the patron. For the very reason you explained.

Comment

are you black?
                                Originally posted by TENGRAM View Post
                                Look at it this way: if you didn't have to tip then the businesses would have to pay their employees better and they would jack up the rates on all of the food. Wouldn't you rather have some say in how much your server deserves to earn?

And I guarantee you that the increase in food price would be much greater than the amount you pay in tips because the employees then have to be compensated for the hours of dead time they spend waiting for it to get busy.
                                waiters/waitresses make like $2/hr. If you're not going to tip, don't eat out, it's bad karma.
                                Originally posted by black2002ls View Post
                                I'm not a food server, but a bartender. I work 2 nights a week at a local club/music venue I used to run. We make 2.13 an hour. Try standing there for 3 hours, busting your tail, serving 200+ patrons, and walk out with less than minimum wage.

What REALLY irks me, is when I serve fellow wait staff. There is a guy who comes in who works at one of the busiest mexican food restaurants in the area. He NEVER tips. EVER. Wait, he left 18 cents one time.

TIPS, To Insure Professional Service.
                                LMAO
                                www.dfwdirtriders.com

Comment

Working...
                                X